“Couldn't have asked for more” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have asked for more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Summerhill Hotel and would go back again in the future. I had a great meal and the sticky toffee pudding is to die for. The rooms were the perfect size for the price I paid and the service was to equal standard. I would like to thank the Hotel for being so accomodating to me and my friends and for adding to an already amazing weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Saint Andrews, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

The hotel was big, cheap and friendly. Perfect for a larger scale getaway of 30 odd folk. We dined together in their large function room and enjoyed ourselves immensely. Breakfast was big, cheap and plentiful. Not fine dining, but hot and filling.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Northampton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I always struggle to find a hotel in Aberdeen within my budget, next time I will be breaking this budget in light of my recent stay. Arrived at the Summerhill - parking the car was not easy, the car park behind the hotel in a shopping area was full, after phoning the hotel I parked at the park in a not so desireable area (I am a sole female traveller). After checking in I struggled to get to my room, there was a religious function on in one of the rooms and had to get my suitcase through a sea of shoes after leaving the lift (Health & Safety??) The room was ok, there was no room service and after looking at the menu in the bar I gave it a miss. I had to resort to the vending machine, again having to make my way through the shoes and many guests, particulary children, who were now outside the room and playing on the stairs.
Breakfast was ok and the member of staff on reception when I checked out was lovely. However I cannot say much for the rest of the staff, bored, un-friendly, not that helpful, I found 2 in the doorway of a male guest (who was in bed) being very friendly .... I write regular reviews on here and probably 99% of them are very positive and I will always sing praises where due but unfortunately not here.
Best Western, your usual high standards have let me know and I will certainly will not be returning.

Room Tip: If you have a BW loyalty card - tell them - you might get an upgrade!
3 Thank Boos21
summerhillAberdeen, Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment after your recent stay with us here in Aberdeen. Unfortunately as we do not have our own car park, the car parking is out of our control and would apologise that you did not find a space on this occasion. We did have hire out our function room on the date in question for a religious festival, the guests for religious reasons are not allowed to wear there shoes in the room where the celebration takes place. We did as soon as it was brought to our attention move all the shoes to a safe place and so apologise again for this inconvenience for you.
I am again sorry that our menu is not to your taste, we do try to always have 3 or 4 options available even when we only have a few guests staying.
I was delighted to see that our receptionist was helpful and that you enjoyed your breakfast.
I would stress that we do not normally have events on that make use of the lobby area to the detriment of our guests and would like to offer you a return visit complimentary to reinstate your faith in the Best Western product.
Paignton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Onr good point this hotel has is that it is always warm. Sometimes too warm.The room I had was spacious and was equipped with a microwave.
There were too many private functions going on and taking over the facilities.
I did not often have breakfast but when I went down for breakfast on Sunday, I was presented with an awfull concoction of warmed up grease, and no egg. when I asked where the egg was I was sullenly told, "no egg" only scrambled if I wanted. I decided to just have the toast.
I dont think the room or corridoors were vaccuumed in the entire stay (similar to Travelodge)
The food around the corner at the Premier/Cocked Hat was far better.
Outside was like Beirut. My hire car was damaged outside.
Given the choice, I would try the Premier inn next time.

Room Tip: Ask for a double room as the singles are small, and pick a room at the rear to avoid the road noise...
2 Thank Terry G
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

This Best Western Summerhill hotel is not in central Aberdeen, but fairly handy for the airport which is why I chose it. I arrived mid evening to an empty reception, eventually got served and given a room and had dinner straight away. The room was very clean and well furnished - plus it had a kitchen sink, fridge and microwave too! No idea why as I did not request a room with cooking facilities, but handy anyway. And the hotel in general was new-looking and nicely decorated.

Sadly the service was quite poor. The girl who checked me in forgot to give me the wake up call that I asked for. The young dinner waitress was mostly interested in her friends who were sitting on the sofas and interacted with me as little as was humanly possible - she subsequently got my order wrong. The level of the service was the same at breakfast, it seemed like all the girls had no interest in the guests, and just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. The food however was good and plentiful.

There was no-one actually staffing the reception desk for my entire stay so luckily I didn't need any service, but with the attitude of the young staff left in charge here, this hotel could really lose a lot of customers who want to feel valued.

Nairn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

I thought I had reviewed the Summerhill before but maybe not .... I stay in Aberdeen on business quite regularly and the hotels through the week are extortionate. Providing you can get a room at the Summerhill for £60-70 it's good value compared to the alternatives. The location is not very good other than for easy access to the main roads, it's a bit out of the way with few amenities nearby. It looks like Beirut on the outside, but inside the hotel is perfectly nice, and the rooms are immaculately clean, reasonable sized, and well equipped, with free wifi. Breakfast is fairly poor, hot buffet with reasonable quality ingredients badly cooked. Overall though I would recommend this hotel for the business traveller.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank greg2302
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

Where to start!

At check in they tried to charge me £20 more for the room per night than my company had agreed with them. They then tried to charge me for breakfast, which was included in the price.
I was then given the wrong room key.

The hotel is tired and dirty and the service at the reception, bar and restaurant is appalling. Restaurant menu was a sheet of white A4 paper, which was to be found laying on the bar, not on any tables. Half the dishes on the menu were not available. There were five in our party and we each ordered steak as the main course only to be informed that only four steaks were available!!!

Breakfast was a comedy of errors, food poorly cooked food which was either burnt or half cooked. On one morning the staff failed to show up on time and the table had not been cleaned after use by guests who had eaten earlier.

On returning to the hotel one night and encountered bags of rubbish in the only lift. Whatever they contained was foul smelling and this forced me to use the stairs. I would have reported this to the reception, but as usual, no one was around.

The hotel has no car park. The only place to park your car is in a small car park to the rear of the building in a small car park surrounded by local shops and neds, best of luck finding a space, not that you'll want to park there anyway.

On check out they managed to get by bill wrong yet again.

DO NOT USE THIS HOTEL. It make Faulty Towers look good.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business