“One night stay”

Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed there for one night while travelling through scottland, the staff was friendly and the room spotless. Much better than from the outside! The community parking-space is a bit unsafe and you probably shouldn't leave anything of value in your car!

Our room was quite spacious and well equipped, the goody bag was nice and the bathroom clean as well. So nothing to complain!

Only thing is, that it's not very close to the city...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Stefan G

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your positive views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Wow, this hotel is, without doubt the scariest looking hotel I've ever stated in. From the outside the only thing missing is barbed wire and gun emplacements......although the management assures me they are coming soon! It looks dirty, run down and un friendly and if it wasn't too late to have cancelled I would have turned round and slept in the car.

Car parking....hmmm, you abandon, not park, abandon, your car to the mercy if the locals in a "car park" to the rear of the hotel. There is the added delight of a Farm Foods and a couple of other boarded up shops. Take everything of value out of the car. This usually means your sat nav, any loose valuables and wallets etc...... In this case I'm sat I'm my room surrounded by the aforementioned articles plus the wheels, radio, seats, windscreen and 12 gallons of diesel as I didn't want to leave anything to chance.

On check in there is the worlds smallest check in desk. Actually doesn't look too bad inside so there's the one star in the rating.

Turns out I'm allocated a disabled room, don't know why but these things happen. Only thing is, this disabled room is in the top floor of the hotel......and the lift is broken and appears to have been broken for some time. I kid you not folks, you couldn't make this up! Stick with me it gets better.

On the bright side it's got a nice bathroom....pity there's no soap or shower gel! Quick call to reception results in a visit from someone bringing me a bar of soap......the hotel has apparently run out of shower gel. I told you it got better!

I'm not going to chance eating in the restaurant, I'll grab a pizza from one of the shops nearby....should be worth another half star but you can only award full ones!

Be aware the hotel is situated on a busy racing circuit locally referred to as the main road. This area appears to e frequented by a certain type of person commonly known as a "boy racer". These boy racers apparently have NOT heard of silencers nor, it appears, have they mastered the art if clutch control.....it's either fully depressed or fully out with the accelerator pedal going in the opposite direction.

The hotel is also situated on the main flight path into Aberdeen airport......I'm sure I heard the last lot of passengers laughing at us as the landing wheels skimmed off the hotel roof.

All in all stay away.....in Aberdeen, no one can hear you scream! Generally as the locals in their cars are making too much noise.

Room Tip: Best rooms appear to be situated about 30 miles away!
2  Thank Pauliet
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Pauliet

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your somewhat jaded views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

As most of our regular guests are aware the car park is not our own but a community car park, a small amount of prior research prior to arrivaI would confirm the hotel does in fact border a local shopping precinct and is on a main road, also research would have alerted you to our cancellation policy which is that cancellation is without charge up to 4pm on day of arrival.

Our lift is currently being upgraded as part of the hotel improvement plans, but as other reviewers of our property are aware we offer a more personal level of service than most hotels. We would urge potential guests to please take this review within the context it is clearly given as it is in no way constructive.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having booked in advance, it was a good value hotel. Before we arrived hotel emailed to say function on, and lift out of service! But they were more than helpful if you required any assistance. On arrival you were greeted by friendly staff and they also called to ask if all ok. In the room you had a small goody bag left for you, water in fridge, cartons of fresh orange, some confectionery. You have a Hairdryer, Iron and Board, and rooms were spotless clean. Over all we were happy. Just a pity we never ordered a fan, as it was melting last night even with windows open. You can get a fan on request. The information book is well equipped and one of the best Iv seen. What more can you ask for. Tip, book in advance for brilliant discounts.

Room Tip: Upstairs away from function hall, we never heard a thing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear dsimpson48

The current heat we are experiencing is a little uncomfortable for most of our guests and do try to ensure we have adequate fans available for any guests who require them.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed for one night on business, usually my company use the Premier inn group that I have always been happy with. First appearances of this hotel are not good, it's situated in what looks like a 1960's mini shopping centre with a very run down appearance with limited car parking.
Walk inside however and you will be pleasantly surprised. Reception was great and the room was spotless. The lift was broken, and as expected, I was on the top floor in the furthest away room. Room was of a reasonable size and had a microwave, fridge and a kitchen sink. Bathroom was great with quality toiletries and a great shower. Double bed was comfy and one of the best touches of this hotel was a goody bag containing crisps, chocolate bars, bottled water and fruit juice. Dinner was good value for Aberdeen as was the breakfast that was very good for a buffet with a good choice of fresh fruit, the usual bacon and stuff with eggs cooked to order, all very nice with great staff, complimentary newspapers and reasonable Wi-Fi are included.
The car park is shared with the shopping centre and is very busy so I chose not to park there and parked instead in the Premier Inn car park that is a couple of mins walk away and has security cameras. Very cheeky I know but I like to look after my car.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter, the front rooms overlook a main road and I would imagine suffer...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear dibblegullane

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Very friendly staff who go out of their way to help you. Clean fresh rooms with a welcome pack containing a drink crisps and chocolate bar. Attached restaurant served basic meal at non-expensive prices. Breakfast layout makes the breakfast look worse than it is as was tasty but had to wait a long time on eggs being prepared. Will be staying here again

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear James R

We are currently reviewing our menus and breakfast layout to make it more appealing to our guests.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very reasonable rate at weekend and in advance. Room excellent, recently renovated. Breakfast terrific, staff very friendly. WiFi connection fine, even though we were at the far end of the corridor. Hire car was OK left in the car park outside even though there was a function on that night, and it was left in a vulnerable spot at the exit, but it got damaged at Fyvie Castle by the only other car in the huge empty car park, so you can't predict. Good location on highway, but less than desirable surroundings. Overall I'd recommend it and happily stay again.

Dear Dial000

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I'd like to say good things about this place... But I'm struggling...

I booked for one night as I was working in Aberdeen. The price was really good value, £35 for the night. However my work arrangements changed and I needed to stay an extra night. I called the hotel and struggled to explain this to the guy I spoke to. He didn't seem ti understand I wanted an extra night...

When the penny dropped he said "no problem, there's plenty of availability so you can stay an extra night but there is a slight price difference...". As he said "slight" I was almost tempted to say "that's fine book it" but I asked anyway... "What is the difference?"

Price for night one... £35...
Price for night two.... £134.10....!!!!!!!

Ridiculous... Seriously, how can they justify that for a VERY basic single room with no breakfast...?

They should rename themselves 'The Dick Turpin Inn"...

Hotel itself is nice and clean. Outside is awful but inside is good. The car park is a shared car park with a few fast food take aways. Wouldn't have trusted my car there for long!

WIFI is good... if you're in the bar area! I had no wifi at all in my room on the 1st floor. I had to sit in the bar. Sales ploy as I was constantly asked if I wanted to order some food or a drink... even when I had a drink in front of me...

Shame those little things spoiled it for me. Get it on a cheaper rate and I'd highly recommend it. Watch out for the SLIGHT price changes though....

Room Tip: I've put no wifi because if you're not in the bar you can't get wifi despite it advertis...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at Best Western Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Kevin M

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

Contrary to what you may perceive we are not inflating our rates above the norm, as most of our guests are conscious of the fact the market within Aberdeen is very buoyant and to achieve a better rate a majority of our guests book in advance to take advantage of special rates and discounts which are always available.

Our rates are the lowest within our own marketplace within the 3 star market in Aberdeen and we ensure we are offering the most competitive rates on a day to day basis. I am somewhat surprised at your issues with our wifi as I can assure you there is no underlying plan to get our guests to spend money in the bar by forcing them to use the wifi downstairs, I believe when the team member enquired if you required anything was a point of courtesy not a sales tactic.

We have 3 access points on each floor to ensure all bedrooms get a strong signal for there wifi needs, I will speak to our IT team to investigate as to why this has happened for which please accept my apologies.