“Don't judge a book.”

Ranked #29 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
“Don't judge a book.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Don't be put off by the exterior or location of this hotel. Its a real pleasure inside. Excellent service from all the staff. Rooms are a great size. Very clean. Helpful staff and all at a great price. Bar and restaruant down stairs with a great menu with loads of choice. Wifi service is good and has a nice friendly atmosphere. Nice goody bag in room and nice shortbread to be had with your tea or coffee also water and juice in the fridge. There was even homemade biscuits in the reception you could nibble on and free newspapers. You get a lot more here than you do at more expensive hotels in Aberdeen, but dont tell anyone!.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Paul R

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your highly positive views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

I will certainly pass on your comments to the team which I am sure they will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, our guests feedback is always appreciated as only through our guests comments do we know we are achieving our set standards.

Our aim is to provide as many possible little extras for our guests to make there stay a bit more special and I am glad you have appreciated these.

manager@summerhillhotelandsuites.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Andover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Don't be put off by the location, it's not the prettiest area by any means but it does not have to be a deal breaker. However whilst the hotel is basic its very clean and staff very friendly. I booked a room for 2 nights at the last minute and found this hotel was very reasonably priced in comparison to others at the time of travelling which was in July 14.

The room was very well appointed with its little fridge and microwave, the bed 3/4 size but very comfortable for one. There was complimentary bottles of water (4) fruit, chocolate and biscuits as well as tea/coffee/ hot chocolate all inclusive in the price. I have stayed in lots of much more expensive hotels with less to offer.....

The hotel is located within 10 mins drive of the city centre and 20 from the airport.

The car park at the back of hotel did not feel the safest but I left my hire car there at night and nothing bad happened so I feel it is the look of the area that is the issue and not necessarily that it is a huge risk. Saying that I did not leave any valuables in the car but logically would not do that wherever I parked.

Only downside lift was broke when I stayed there and I had to climb 3 flights of stairs, which would not have been an option if I had mobility issues...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Susan F

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your positive views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

Laurencekirk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for one night and would certainly insider staying here again. Yes from the outside it is not the prettiest building but I was pleasantly surprised with the inside. The car park is shared with a shopping centre but it was busy and full of cars presumably including local residents. When we checked in the room was not ready but this was handled professionally and resulted in a couple of free drinks which was a nice touch. The room itself was a suite and was fine for our one night stay. Also a nice touch with the complimentary goody bag.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Karen R

We are glad the small touches we add are appreciated by our guests as we are increasing the small touches by adding bathrobes and additional toiletries for our guests stay.

Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed there for one night while travelling through scottland, the staff was friendly and the room spotless. Much better than from the outside! The community parking-space is a bit unsafe and you probably shouldn't leave anything of value in your car!

Our room was quite spacious and well equipped, the goody bag was nice and the bathroom clean as well. So nothing to complain!

Only thing is, that it's not very close to the city...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Stefan G

Nottingham
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Wow, this hotel is, without doubt the scariest looking hotel I've ever stated in. From the outside the only thing missing is barbed wire and gun emplacements......although the management assures me they are coming soon! It looks dirty, run down and un friendly and if it wasn't too late to have cancelled I would have turned round and slept in the car.

Car parking....hmmm, you abandon, not park, abandon, your car to the mercy if the locals in a "car park" to the rear of the hotel. There is the added delight of a Farm Foods and a couple of other boarded up shops. Take everything of value out of the car. This usually means your sat nav, any loose valuables and wallets etc...... In this case I'm sat I'm my room surrounded by the aforementioned articles plus the wheels, radio, seats, windscreen and 12 gallons of diesel as I didn't want to leave anything to chance.

On check in there is the worlds smallest check in desk. Actually doesn't look too bad inside so there's the one star in the rating.

Turns out I'm allocated a disabled room, don't know why but these things happen. Only thing is, this disabled room is in the top floor of the hotel......and the lift is broken and appears to have been broken for some time. I kid you not folks, you couldn't make this up! Stick with me it gets better.

On the bright side it's got a nice bathroom....pity there's no soap or shower gel! Quick call to reception results in a visit from someone bringing me a bar of soap......the hotel has apparently run out of shower gel. I told you it got better!

I'm not going to chance eating in the restaurant, I'll grab a pizza from one of the shops nearby....should be worth another half star but you can only award full ones!

Be aware the hotel is situated on a busy racing circuit locally referred to as the main road. This area appears to e frequented by a certain type of person commonly known as a "boy racer". These boy racers apparently have NOT heard of silencers nor, it appears, have they mastered the art if clutch control.....it's either fully depressed or fully out with the accelerator pedal going in the opposite direction.

The hotel is also situated on the main flight path into Aberdeen airport......I'm sure I heard the last lot of passengers laughing at us as the landing wheels skimmed off the hotel roof.

All in all stay away.....in Aberdeen, no one can hear you scream! Generally as the locals in their cars are making too much noise.

Room Tip: Best rooms appear to be situated about 30 miles away!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pauliet
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Pauliet

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your somewhat jaded views on the hotel via the Trip Advisor site.

As most of our regular guests are aware the car park is not our own but a community car park, a small amount of prior research prior to arrivaI would confirm the hotel does in fact border a local shopping precinct and is on a main road, also research would have alerted you to our cancellation policy which is that cancellation is without charge up to 4pm on day of arrival.

Our lift is currently being upgraded as part of the hotel improvement plans, but as other reviewers of our property are aware we offer a more personal level of service than most hotels. We would urge potential guests to please take this review within the context it is clearly given as it is in no way constructive.

fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having booked in advance, it was a good value hotel. Before we arrived hotel emailed to say function on, and lift out of service! But they were more than helpful if you required any assistance. On arrival you were greeted by friendly staff and they also called to ask if all ok. In the room you had a small goody bag left for you, water in fridge, cartons of fresh orange, some confectionery. You have a Hairdryer, Iron and Board, and rooms were spotless clean. Over all we were happy. Just a pity we never ordered a fan, as it was melting last night even with windows open. You can get a fan on request. The information book is well equipped and one of the best Iv seen. What more can you ask for. Tip, book in advance for brilliant discounts.

Room Tip: Upstairs away from function hall, we never heard a thing.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
summerhillAberdeen, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Summerhill Hotel And Suites, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear dsimpson48

The current heat we are experiencing is a little uncomfortable for most of our guests and do try to ensure we have adequate fans available for any guests who require them.

Gullane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed for one night on business, usually my company use the Premier inn group that I have always been happy with. First appearances of this hotel are not good, it's situated in what looks like a 1960's mini shopping centre with a very run down appearance with limited car parking.
Walk inside however and you will be pleasantly surprised. Reception was great and the room was spotless. The lift was broken, and as expected, I was on the top floor in the furthest away room. Room was of a reasonable size and had a microwave, fridge and a kitchen sink. Bathroom was great with quality toiletries and a great shower. Double bed was comfy and one of the best touches of this hotel was a goody bag containing crisps, chocolate bars, bottled water and fruit juice. Dinner was good value for Aberdeen as was the breakfast that was very good for a buffet with a good choice of fresh fruit, the usual bacon and stuff with eggs cooked to order, all very nice with great staff, complimentary newspapers and reasonable Wi-Fi are included.
The car park is shared with the shopping centre and is very busy so I chose not to park there and parked instead in the Premier Inn car park that is a couple of mins walk away and has security cameras. Very cheeky I know but I like to look after my car.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are quieter, the front rooms overlook a main road and I would imagine suffer...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo