Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Mark H

Shambolic hotel with terrible customer service

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 31 Jul 2023
I booked the Sure Hotel by Best Western in Aberdeen via the booking.com website for Saturday the 24th of June 2023 as we were attending our first full family get together since before lockdown.

On arrival at the hotel I was given the key by the receptionist and went up to my room. Imagine the surprise when I opened the door to find the bed covers in a mess, an open suitcase on the floor and somebody in the bathroom!

I immediately closed the door and went back down to reception to let them know about this issue. The receptionist didn't really have a clue as to what was going on and just told me he was sorry but there weren't any other rooms. I asked him what he expected me to do as we were now stranded with nowhere to stay and told him to call his manager, which he eventually did. The manager ignored the multiple phone calls that he made so I suggested that he try other hotels within the chain. He tried the 2 other Best Western hotels in Aberdeen and was told that there were no rooms. I suggested that he contact the nearest hotel to arrange a room for us, a Premier Inn, which was just around the corner. He said he couldn't do that as he had no authority/knowledge of how to do that. Exasperated and dealing with an upset wife I then said to just give us a refund. He couldn't even do that so we left with nowhere to stay for the night and out of pocket.

I then walked round to the Premier Inn and was able to secure a room at an additional cost.

I took the receipt for this room round to the Sure Hotel and asked the receptionist to please hand it over to the manager along with my phone number and to get her to contact me on Monday when she was due back in as i expected them to pay for this room due to the massive inconvenience they had put us through.

I waited until Wednesday (28/06) and as I had heard nothing from the hotel, contacted them and managed to get hold of the manager. She said that she'd been too busy to look into our issue but was aware of the receipt that I'd handed in and she would investigate it and get back to me later that day. I then waited until Friday before I called back after hearing nothing from them and she told me that she'd contacted booking.com to arrange my refund and had passed the receipt for the Premier Inn up to her manager as she couldn't authorise the payment.

I then waited, once again with zero communication, until Monday (10/07) and called the hotel to find out what was going on. I was told that the manager had gone on holiday and no one else knew what was going on with my issue. At this point I decided to contact booking.com. They told me that no refund had been initiated by the hotel, however, they would take their own action to ensure that i get the refund but it may take a little while as they need to talk to the manager.

After emailing Best western directly i received a reply, from a different manager, on 17th of July finally apologising and stating that i would definitely get my refund but refusing to give me any good will gesture towards the cost of the last minute hotel i had to book.

It is now the 31st of July and I've still not received a refund, despite more promises and I am now at the stage of looking into legal action which i find unbelievable considering they've admitted fault!
Date of stay: June 2023
Room Tip: Go to the Premier Inn instead
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1.0 of 5 bubblesValue
    £63
    £61
2.1 miles from Sure Hotel By Best Western Aberdeen
View more hotels in Aberdeen
All reviews crisps bottled water welcome hamper kitchen area double room tea and coffee fridge receptionist corridor
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 June 2023

Clean room, comfortable bed, hot water (bit tempermental), fridge & extras including crisps and juice/water. Hotel doesn't have the best outlook and parking is limited to shopping area but a bonus is it's on main bus route, frequent services. Staff are always friendly and helpful. Didn't have breakfast this time as feel £6.95 is a lot to pay for a continental, which we can do ourselves - cooked breakfasts no longer an option since lockdown and feel hotel is looking a bit tired.

Date of stay: June 2023
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 20 May 2023

One of the main reasons I booked this hotel was to ensure secure car parking - whilst the hotel state that this is the case, the car park is actually by a bank of shops at the back of the hotel which has a Farm Foods, Papa John's & Chinese take away and has no security or guarantee that your vehicle will be safe during your stay.

The room was basic, and no side lights worked so you could only have the main lights on. There was no thermostat in the room and the heating was uncomfortably high. There were several pigeons roosting directly outside the window (not just the room I was staying in but all along that side) and the mess outside the window was not pleasant, worst of all was the noise as they made noise most of the night and very early morning.

Furniture was stained. There was a kitchen area and whilst there was no obligation to provide any breakfast food, it would have been preferable to packets of crisps.

Room tip: Don't book if you want secure parking and a decent night's sleep
Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2022

We bought an itison voucher for 2 nights with breakfast. On arrival, we were informed that there was no kitchen at the moment and it was a continental breakfast. The hotel is fine, clean and the room was adequate, we have stayed previously when it was the Summerhill and at that time we had a more spacious room. No complaints so far, but the continental breakfast was fine when we got it. First there was no milk for the cereal, which we needed to find a member of staff to replenish, next the coffee machine was empty, with the same task, next there was no bread for making toast. The member of staff made the excuse that she was very busy!

Date of stay: June 2022
Reviewed 9 June 2022

User friendly website and booking process with frequent informative emails in respect to upcoming stay.
Although the hotel location was not particularly nice we did get free parking, a premium in Aberdeen, and this was reflected in the very reasonable room price.
Staff were extremely friendly andwelcoming, and the receptionist,Lauren was fantastic with regards to helping with decorations for my pals 60th birthday. We were able to book a well equipped room for 3 adults. Room was very clean, comfortable and with some lovely touches such as complimentary branded freebies such as bottled water, Golden Wonder crisps, Border biscuits, and plenty of tea, coffee, milk and Cadburys hot chocolate.
Beds were clean and comfortable, and plenty fresh towels available .
A small leak behind the bathroom handbasin was attended to within 5 minutes of reporting it, excellent.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and send thanks to the staff for all their hard work .

Date of stay: May 2022
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2022

My wife and I were booked to stay for 2 nights bed and (continental) breakfast. Contrary to previous reviews I found the room and adjoining bathroom were spotless but my biggest issue was the traffic noise from the A944 dual carriageway which runs past the front of the hotel. This road is one of the busiest in Aberdeen and it’s pretty constant. Even with the double glazing you can still hear the noise.
With the window closed it meant the room temperature rose significantly resulting in bedding being discarded. It is also under the flight path to the airport so aircraft can be heard from around 6am. We had our continental breakfast which was excellent but decided we couldn’t bear another night of torture so we cancelled the second night. There are far better and quieter places in Aberdeen to stay.

Room tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel.
Date of stay: May 2022