“Wonderful Bistro” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel
Ranked #54 of 63 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

My friends and I had a beautiful meal on Wednesday night at the Sopranos Bistro within this Hotel. The Hotel is attached but the Bistro is downstairs and is very tastefully decorated. The menu was really good and when a few of us ordered the chicken dish, we were told it would be 25 minutes for that course and did we mind? Cooked from fresh and when all our meals came out, everyone was delighted with their choices. Sweets, coffees nothing to complain about. Not many people I have spoken to know of this place and it is the best kept secret I have, as it is just across from Union Square and the food is lovely. I have had lunch there also and they can't do enough for you to make your meal pleasant. I thoroughly recommend this Bistro. If you go to their site, they always have different offers.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

booked this hotel as husband had business to attend on two days in the city so thought I would tag along and go shopping. This hotel is very well situated for shops/ trains/ buses being right across the road. The staff were friendly on arrival, there are a lot of steps with no elevator which wasn't really a problem for us but it wouldn't suit some travellers. Our room was cold on arrival with a very old radiator which was on but barely warm to touch. had a view of the harbour from our window and a pub & an art cafe. The room was clean with a large bed which on closer inspection was two singles together with matress' of different heights. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in, it felt like I was lying on my childs trampoline. The bathroom was very large but no bath, an electric shower, a wonky toilet seat that caught you unawares and tried to throw you off. The tiles on wall /floor looked like I had done the work mysel (I'm no DIYer) and no face cloth. Was woken at various times of the night with revellers from the cafe/pub outside shouting, the pub emptying their bottles into the recycling and also in morning with the bin lorries. The £85 price tag was what attracted us to this hotel as Aberdeen hotels are expensive throughout week. I have learned my lesson and will not be back.

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Queenascots

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Stirling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I booked into the Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel, Aberdeen. On arrival we had to pay for our room before we got keys, were not shown the way to our room so we had to go upstairs and find our way about. When entering the room it was freezing. There was an old heater but did not have a sticker approving its safety. The blind on the bathroom window did not cover whole window, so when having a bath I felt I was in full view to the building across the road. Could,nt relax in bath after a long day of travelling and shopping. We went out for dinner in the evening, so had to turn heater off. When we came back the room was freezing again. We did,nt put heater on once we were in bed as again it was,nt safety approved. Did not get a good nights sleep due to being cold and the noise outside.We will not be staying in hotel again and will not be recommending it. We come to aberdeen quite a lot in the year to visit granddaughter and have stayed in a lot of hotels. But I am so sorry to say that this hotel was the worst.

Room Tip: View your room before you pay.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank blackpool_11
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

A skip and a jump from the train station, overlooking the harbour - just - and Musa music/food venue on the edge of Merchant City, this hotel is relaxed and low key with welcoming staff and modern decor. 49 steps to our top floor room kept us fit and meant for a quiet room midweek. Good breakfast - the bacon's always the test! Go to Carmelite Hotel for afternoon tea, then back to Soprano's for an evening meal!

Room Tip: Overlookng Exchange Street could be the quietest.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jean W
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

My Aunt and I stayed here in August 2011 - booked it because it was close to city and other sights we had hoped to see. Knew it was a Heritage Building but was not prepared for the amount of stairs one had to negotiate before we got to our room. Definately not for older people . Room was ok and big but the dining room was downstairs, in the pub setting - so one was up and down stairs -- in all we had 49 stairs to our room !!!
No car parking , but there is a car park building within walking distance which is reasonable priced,. By the railway station.
Waitress was very friendly and helpful and the receptionisy, altho hard to understand was very friendly

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed at the Sopranos during my first trip to Aberdeen. It's biggest advantage is the location. The mall and the railway station is a stone's throw away with the city's high street on the parallel road. My room had a view of docks, which could be a problem for some due to the very bright lights from the docked ships, however the curtains are thick enough to block the light:) . Personally I was thrilled to have a view of all the ships docked right by my window. The room was very clean. I believe you might get better prices if booked in advanced. The complimentary breakfast was decent enough. I didn't get a chance to visit the pub below so no comments there. However due its location you have a lot of options for a night out. My room was a bit stuffy in the sense that there was hardly any place to move, which could be a problem if you are travelling with many bags:)

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Soprano is in a fantastic location - straight across from the new Union Square shopping centre (where there are lots of places to eat) and the train station.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by a friendly member of staff and each staff we spoke to were really nice and accommodating. My friend needed a plaster for a sore foot and they were only too happy to give us every size of elastoplast she might need.

The room was really big with more than plenty of space for two - I was particularly impressed with the enormous shower/bathroom.

Considering the weather outside (freezing cold, raining and windy), we were pleased that the heating was on and our room was nice and toasty.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends