“Great food and great service in the restaurant.”

Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel
Ranked #58 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This is not a review of the hotel itself as we didn't stay there, but a review of the restaurant/bistro part.

My wife and I have had lunch there on a few occasions when visiting Aberdeen city centre. There are a variety of other 'theme' restaurants just across the way in Union Square, but in those you are just another table. In Sopranos we are always made to feel welcome and our time is valued. There is always a pleasant greeting from the efficient, polite staff.

The food is always cooked fresh, so don't be surprised to wait 20+ minutes for it as it will be worth the wait. Highly recommended is the pizza, which we had heard about from other customers, as it is one of the best I have ever tasted. Very authentic. Another favourite is the fish and chips with very chunky chips. Being just across from the harbour the fish is extremely fresh and delicious.

The lunch menu is also very reasonably priced and there is a good selection of wines available.

The only disappointing thing to comment on is the introduction of Starbucks branded coffee. There is nothing wrong with the coffee itself, but there is huge display fridge which is wheeled in every morning (then wheeled out again before the evening custom) and is positioned just inside the front door but taking up room at one of the best tables. Not only does the fridge face completely the wrong way so the contents are not on display to anyone but people at one table, but it makes sitting at that table, overlooking the street and harbour, not particularly comfortable. It feels like this enormous fridge is bearing down on you! Such a shame that the Starbucks franchising means they have to use this fridge and display but there isn't actually anywhere appropriate for it to go. We were fortunate that the bar was quiet when we went in so we had other tables to choose from, but would have liked to use our favourite table.

All in all though, we are really satisfied with the service and food in Sopranos and would commend everyone to go there.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 December 2012

It was a gale force, cold rainy winters day when I arrived at this hotel.
I liked the upbeat colourful design. Unfortunately this level of care didn't reflect in the hotel infrastructure.
My room was freezing. There was a small heater for me to plug in. I had to practically wrap myself around it to warm up. It didn't give out enough heat for the room.
I was rushing to get out that evening and went to have a shower. The water wouldn't warm up. 5 minutes running and it was still literally freezing. I couldn't believe I'd payed for this hotel!
It angered me that the receptionist didn't seem surprised when I complained about the shower. They offered me a new room, which I took them up on when I returned later that night.
So, to end my experience at the soprano, my new shower went from scorching hot to cold. I managed to rinse my hair, but it was a bit of a jumpy experience. Not what you want on a cold winters day in Aberdeen
Hugely disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Moneecmana
Reviewed 12 December 2012

There are no decent cheap hotels in Aberdeen but this one is pretty good value for money. I did have to pay in advance and the payment is non-refundable - so be aware of tnhis. The room itself was quite small but clean and adequate with tea-making facilities and a television. It is very near the railway station, the bust station and the centre of things in Aberdeen. For an overnight stay, I found it ideal.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I stayed here last Saturday in a single room. The hotel is in a great location very close to the train and bus stations in the city centre. The staff were really helpful and let me keep my case there before check-in and after, although I was surprised when the male receptionist told me to go into the wee cupboard and get it myself!

The website gives the impression of a boutique hotel but it's not quite at that standard. The room wasn't perfect (there were missing tiles in the shower room and the usual wear and tear) but I wouldn't expect it to be at the price I paid, it was cheaper than staying in a Travelodge! But it was clean and cosy and had everything I needed and suited me perfectly for my visit.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 December 2012

This hotel is located near the station which makes it great for those arriving by train. The rooms vary is size and having stayed here several times, I make sure I get one that is not too small. The staff are very helpful and the breakfasts excellent. This place has a bit of character and is used as a meeting place for an international group

Room Tip: If you need to work as I did, make sure you get a room where the chair can fit in front of the desk
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My room on top floor a bit 'tired' (water stains on ceiling, carpets a bit worn, chipped paint and plaster in places) but comfortable enough. Good location in centre - nor that noisy on a wet December night.

Staff on reception and in bistro restaurant very friendly and helpful. Dinner in the bistro excellent (if you are having the mussels for a main course then skip the starter - main course huge) and breakfast just as high quality.

As a reasonably regular business visitor to Aberdeen over the years, this is first place I've stayed where I would certainly return to.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Hotel was like a boutique great decor thoughout!! Our room was a double.. good size plenty of space for storage & the bed was very comfertable. We both had cooked breakfasts - very tasty!! Would love to stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple