“Nice & cozy”

Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel
Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed here for 3D2N for business.
Very convenient location, walking distance to Union Square, and right in front of the bus stop.
The entrance is a little strange, as it's behind a bus stop, and beside the in-house restaurant.
All the rooms are on the upper floors, and no elevators were available, but was not a problem for me, as I had very little luggage.
WiFi was part of the package, and access was good.
Bed was comfortable, and duvet was nice & warm. Had good rest & slept well.
The breakfast was excellent, and the staff were very cordial & friendly.
No parking is available, but again wasn't a problem for me, since I didn't hire a car there.
All in all, very good experience, and would definitely recommend this to business travellers on short trips.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor rooms facing side alley.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 March 2014

What made the finding of Soprano so much easier was being escorted by a young man who had,amazingly, spotted it earlier in the day and had thought; "that looks like a rather nice place to stay!"
Except, I did; and he hadn't!
I'd found it "by chance" on the Internet but, in future it's definitely going to be by design.
And, if it's "design" we're talking, this has to be the most attractively decorated hotel(in colours and furnishings) I've come across for ages.
It's in a fabulous area of Aberdeen (truly an amazing city with some fabulous old buildings) and with everything that anyone might need so close by.
Soprano's brochure is jam-packed with local information, including a plethora of phone numbers, as well as identifying which of the very pleasant staff are on duty-should you need any more advice.
What more would a traveller need?
Soprano is quirky, comfortable,and warm-hearted. And my
breakfast was a pretty much perfect start to my working day which, as the Menu suggested: "Life would be a dark and hopeless place without it,"
A very happy day!

Room Tip: I should imagine there isn't a "bad" one in Soprano!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel.

When I arrived in the room it was very cold. No heating on at all, there are radiators but these had been switched off and the control valves moved. A little convector heater was mounted to the wall. I switched this on then went over to Union Square for 45 minutes. on return the room was still freezing, so I sat there watching the TV with my jacket on until the room started to warm. This might sound like an exaggeration but its not. There are 2 large sash windows in the bedroom and 1 in the en-suite. All of them are single glazed and poorly insulated.

The mattress on the bed had collapsed on one side, though I only realised this when trying to go to bed at 11pm and it was to late to do anything about it I was informed.

On leaving for work the next morning I explained the problems with the mattress, and the heating. I asked the for the Mattress to be changed and the heating to be left on, The room did get comfortable but only after the heating had been on all night.

On returning from work, the mattress had been changed. However the mattresses are cheap and not comfortable. The heating had been switched off again, so again I had to sit there with my jacket on.

The room I was in besides the cheap mattress and being cold, was tiered and dated. Average in size for a double. The bathroom was an ok size but no heating. The toilet liked to block when flushing toilet roll. There was unpainted MDF as a sill in the bathroom.

No parking, not the easiest access from the main door, which has been mentioned is a bus stop and the smoking area for Ladbrokes. It stairs all the way up so if you carrying luggage or not so nimble this could be an issue. The internet is chargeable, though there are a few locale free wifi around.

Is it worth the money??? the only answer I can give is NO...

I cannot comment on breakfast or dinner as this was not purchased.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed at this hotel and found it good value for money although it is located very close to the dock and as such woke a 5.15am to the noise of boats. Room was small but well presented. Breakfast was the highlight of the stay. Wouldn't stay again due to the poor sleep in a bed that wasn't particularly comfortable which didn't help.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Stayed here on business for two days. Rooms are large with everything you would need. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was massive. The in room tea/coffee facilities were hided in a cupboard, found that a little strange. Otherwise a good hotel and I would stay there again no problem.

Room Tip: Try for a room near the ground floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I don't usually write hotel reviews but felt I had too for this one as the first of many Aberdeen hotels which I have been greatly disappointed by. I stay in hotels in Aberdeen every other weekend and after noticing this hotel a few times on booking sites (it always seems fully booked) I thought it must be good, so lets give it a go.

Large Room, with large en-suite bathroom and modern decor. However there were towels against the windows where I assume they leak, the shower was cold despite running it minutes beforehand and also there is more pressure in a sink tap! to top of the shower experience I lifted the towel to find it was a hand towel only!

Our room was also located straight across from the stair entrance and also underneath a staircase, needless to say this was slightly annoying whilst trying to get some rest from a long 2 hour drive to Aberdeen. Also for Internet users, there is no signal in this hotel at all, but that could be down to the room location or my network (which works everywhere usually).

Ok so small complaints but when I stay away from home for a night and especially paying these prices I at least expect a comfortable experience, I have experienced better from a basic travelodge, which I cannot believe I am saying. I've also paid less, for example at a Hilton or Boutique hotel and received top service!

Parking is not available.

Little contact with staff so can't really comment, but check in etc was quick, polite and helpful.

Apart from that I can't complain on the cleanliness and the hotel is situated right in front of union square shopping centre, bus/train and local pubs restaurants near by, I think this is the hotels only positive and possibly why it is always busy! either that I am just too picky! But i certainly won't stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SG976
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Don't normally write reviews but wanted to let people know that this hotel is not worth the money we paid for it. Staff were unwelcoming and unattentive and we were probably put in the worst room despite the receptionist letting us know the hotel was empty! Stayed at a different hotel the previous night in Aberdeen for the same price which was of much greater value for money...Don't go here!

• Stayed: February 2014