“I will never go back!”

Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel
Ranked #57 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I arrived at 21:05; 21:10, by the time I had checked-in, but no food available, after 21:00. One of the two round, fluorescent ceiling lights, was continually flickering, and also making a noise, which made it impossible for me to do any paperwork, or reading. The night porter was unhelpful, and merely shrugged. They wanted to charge me £10 for WiFi Internet, on top of the £162, I paid for the room. My computer measured the Broadband speed, as too slow to be usable. Need I go on... If this hotel wasn't in Aberdeen and near the station, it would go out of business. Never, ever going back!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AuldRover

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I got in quite late via train and upon entering the hotel, I was immediately given the key to my room. After dropping off my luggage, I went to the bar/Restaurant downstairs. It was loud, but it was a Friday night. I had a pint and went back to my room.

The room was smallish, but £74.00 for two nights (paid in advance via internet) was a great price. The bathroom was clean and the window opened and closed easily. Everything worked properly. I was in the dockside corner room on the top floor.

I had lunch at the restaurant the next day and found it was crowded. I did find a small table and ordered a light lunch of fish and chips and a Stella. The food was very good.

I would recommend this hotel, there is a lot to do in the area and the bus/train station is just a block away.

Room Tip: I did not see a lift in the building and there are a lot of stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed mid week for work in July.

Aberdeen is notoriously expensive for hotels due to the Oil Rigs and general need for rooms. Almost verging on London prices.

Any room for me that is £100+ will be rated more harshly. Had this room been £65 I may have been more generous.

The room was small to average, no access to the window unless you climbed over the bed. There was also no phone in the room to contact reception and was generally lacking in the little luxuries for £100+. i.e. Nicer towels, biscuits for tea etc.

They are undergoing modernisation. But i am afraid although the rooms look updated and the bathroom was good, look a little deeper and it seems as though Sybil got Mr O'Reilly in (Fawlty Towers reference ;) ) The tiling was uneven, shower door very stiff, shower tray coming away from wall, loo roll holder loose, grouting uneven and patchy and the mirror light positioned too close to the mirror for the cord to hang properly. I am not an interior designer or builder, but if it was my house I wouldn't be happy. On the plus side the shower was good and it would go higher than 6ft3!

Good central location and near the station. But if you are staying in Aberdeen mid week, expect to pay a premium price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Everything about this was charming. No bright light modern plastic. Calm, small, elegant but friendly in a fantastic loaction. Excellent calm rooms and a lovely feel to the hotel.Very good hotel if you are flying to Aberdeen. Bus stop with direct airport link outside hotel. Special thanks to Rhona - A walking tourist guide.Lots of excellent shops, theatres and other restaurants in the vicinity but a great bar here too

Room Tip: Take a trip to Stonehaven if you have time - magical sea side resort 15 mins by train and the train...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Petra B
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have never seen a city like this befoire - the harbour is in the middle of the city and you can view huge boats outside your bedroom window. This was my second visit. I stayed the first time because it was opposite the shopping centre and train station. This time I was very impressed with the many improvements and a brand new bar and restaurant. Very intimate, very cost and friendly. It is only a smallish hotel with castle turrets and lovely staircase and public araes but I liked it. If you do stay here make sure you eat - it is unlike a typical hotel restaurant and very rewarding.

Room Tip: Go to St Machars Catherdral. And 2 minutes away from the hotel they do harbour boat rides to see the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Thank you to the Hotel Manager of the Soprano for excellent service (although I couldn't stay as the hotel was full). Thank you again for helping me and and I will book directly with you for another business trip in August.

This is the sorry tale of my arrival in Aberdeen.

Flights and hotel were booked through CheapOair. I will never use them again. Never! Cheapoair took money for flights and hotel room on my credit card and sent a confirmation email with all the booking references. On arrival at the hotel, it turned out that there was no record of my booking and were fully occupied. Lovely Soprano found me an emergency room in the Hilton (so that I wouldn't sleep on the street) and with all the taxi running around, it cost £60 more than it would have done if I had booked with a hotel directly. CheapOair's customer service (which appears to be based in India) is equally dreadful. I phoned last week and was told I would get a refund in 2-3 days on my credit card. 8 days later, I have phoned again and asked for a refund and an apology to my email address. If I can find a regulatory organisation I will take this up as a complaint. I am so annoyed at the lack of any kind of feedback from this company and they still have my money for a service not provided. Beware CheapOair!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Location is exceptional. Staff very helpful with tourist information and helped us organise a magical tour of Scotland.Try the castle tour and fottie near Aberdeen; If you have time travel a bit further to the West coast - amazing. Lovely bedroom and we all thought the restaurant was brilliant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family