“if you want a good nights sleep don't stay here”

Soprano St Magnus Court Hotel
Ranked #55 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
newcastle
“if you want a good nights sleep don't stay here”
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Stayed in a ground floor room near reception.Avoid at all costs.No sleep all night due to paper thin walls and the busy road outside window.Staff were pleasant .

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I stayed for one night, but it was enough. First of all, the steps are very narrow, no lift and no disabled access at all. I had to carry my luggage for these steps after watchin an icy face from the recepcionist, who seemed more concerned in recognizing and trusting my foreign credit car. When I got to the room, it was small, cold and all walls were dirty, with food and humidities. I really got surprised when I entered in the bathroom, cleaner and even bigger than the room itself. Good badroom, excellent location (one minute to the train and coach station), but still, it is very expensive for the service they provide. Don't waste your money in a hotel like these and try with others in the area, much better and cheaper!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My company booked this hotel and after looking at the website, it looked impressive and i was looking forward to my stay. On arrival I did not realise it was on the main road of Aberdeen and that it was located directly in front of a bus stop. The front desk staff were friendly, however when I was given my room, i was extremely disappointed as my room look directly on to the main road and could hear all of the traffic, along with the seagulls. I did go and ask to change rooms, but they said they were fully booked. I thought that it would be ok, however after looking at the room, there was large cracks in the ceiling which looked like there was a previous leak and that it was repaired very quickly. The room was not what I expected, bed was uncomfortable and the bathroom was freezing due to the heater not being large enough. Along with that, the water was warm not hot and with all of this, I only managed four hours sleep on my first night and six hours on my next. It does sound like i am complaining a lot, however after speaking to my colleague they have said that there are some nice rooms, however I have not seen them.
The restaurant was friendly and played relaxing music and I had no problem with the staff as they were professional and very nice. The food was ok, although after completing my starter the main came straight away which was slightly disappointing. On the second night I ordered a steak with cost £16.95 and was extremely disappointed with the outcome as the steak seemed to be something from a supermarket, very sad indeed.
Overall, I was not impressed and will be advising my company not to book in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank fastair
Scotland
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I arrived, with colleagues, at this hotel for a two day business trip. Check in was delayed initially due to an admin problem, but when resolved, the receptionist was helpful and friendly.

Cleanliness I found to be an issue - I am not usually overly fussy about this, but I do object to having a toilet with the remnants of the previous occupants intestines on the side of it. I also found that the shaving light above the mirror didnt work and the bed was very lumpy.

There are no telephones in the room, no option for room service, and there was a steep 52 stairs to climb before arriving at my room (no lifts).

Breakfast was ok, but nothing special, service time was reasonable.

Location wise, its not a far walk to Union Street, and the Union Shopping Centre/ Bus/ Train station is just over the road.

There is a bus stop situated at the entrance, so there are always people standing at the door, which I dont suppose the hotel can do much about.

The management need to spend some money on this hotel - new beds and routine maintenance are well overdue - they could also be doing with getting telephones in every bedroom to allow guests to contact reception and each other.

For the price, this hotel did not meet expectation - there are far more better hotels to stay at in Aberdeen for the price our company paid.

The staff however, were friendly and helpful

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
stratford
Reviewed 26 December 2010

This hotel is very suitable for those that want to be in the city centre near all the shops and restaurants. It is also ideally located overlooking the boats. The wonderful location's only draw back is it is a busy area and the roads were all being resurfaced when we there. The wine bar and bistro is very stlylish and we enjoyed exceptional hospitality, entertainment and food. We will go back because of the very welcoming staff

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
glasgow
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Just returned home after staying in this hotel and felt compelled to warn others against staying here.I stay in the area frequently and have honestly never stayed in a worse hotel.

The location is handy for the train/bus station but had to fight through crowds to get in the door (not due to people rushing into the hotel-but there is a busy bus stop just outside the door) there was then 50 steep stairs to my room (no lift-so not suitable for anyone with mobility issues) .

The room was disappointingly small although it does have the high ceilings you would expect from an old building.The decor was tired and the room cold. There were black out curtains but no blinds and a busy office block straight across the road so not an ideal view.

There was one small cupboard/desk,drawers in the room and the bed was large although too hard for my liking.There was the expected flat screen tv/tea making facilities and a hairdryer (that had buttons missing and didn't really dry my hair-I would advise anyone not to rely on it to be honest!).This room definately lacked a full length mirror and a phone.

The bathroom was basically clean, expected more than just a bar of soap for the money they charged for the room.Other toiletries like shower gel would have been welcomed. The light over the bathroom mirror didnt work (I also overheard other guests complaining about this also)

My main issue with this hotel was that after settling into the room I went to take a shower and there was no hot water,(I let the tap run for 20minutes however it was still cold) as you can imagine a cold shower was not very inviting after travelling and certainly not what I would expect from a 3star hotel.

I got dressed and had to go to the reception(as no phone in room) The staff are actually all quite helpfyul and polite and the girl informed me she who would send the manager to my room to fix the water for me.I said that was fine(I really do understand things happen sometimes)although I did mention I was in a rush as I had to meet friends in an hour.40minutes and a cold shower later the same girl knocked on my door to tell me that the manager was not coming and she had been told to tell me that'It is an old building what did I expect and that the hotel was not busy' I thanked her,remembering It wasn't her fault and rushed out.

When I returned to the hotel a few hours later I had a knock on my door,I actually thought the manager may have come to apologies but as i opened the door the manager explained there was a leak in the room below and he had to check my bathroom to check I hadn't forgot to turn the bath tap off.

I told him I hadn't left the tap on and explained my earlier problem,The only explanation he abruptly stated was that these things happen in an old building and that many hotels in the area have the same problem(funny really as I have stayed in many of them and have never experienced this.

I received no apology although I did get a lengthy @lesson@ in how to get the water to be hot by running both the bathroom sink and bath taps at the same time...It was very bizzare,rather condecending and uncalled for (I live in a building older than the hotel).

Rather than appease a disgruntled guest he was more concerned with proving himself right and I was glad when he left to deal with the small leak downstairs.

I work with the public myself and I was very dissapointed in his communication/management skills,however I actually felt quite intimidated after my' lesson' so i deceided I was really getting nowhere talking to him and tried to enjoy the rest of my stay.

....I really didnt as the only saving grace is the location,walls were thin and the breakfast didnt offer a great selection.No starbucks coffee available at breakfast as it states on website.No one manning the reception desk on checkout meant I had no chance to put to rest some queries I had.

Another minor issue,the room key has the hotel name/address and room number on it.Not great as the hotel has a serious lack of security (no one on front desk a lot of the time etc..) and would be easy for opportunists to get to room etc (no safe in room for valuables)

The restaurant actually has a really good reputation although I only sampled breakfast.
The receptionists and especially the cleaning lady I met were lovely.Maybe the manager could learn some people skills from them?

My advice would be to stay in the Jurys Inn across the road or the travelodge around the corner!I certainly will not be staying here again...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank cc48Glasgow
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2010

The thick drapes covering the two windows could not hide the bright lights of the four HUGE fishing trawlers with hi power lights that remained on all night. Or the hummmm of their powerful generators. The people who wait for the bus outside the front door have better access to the hotel - nowhere to stop to drop off your bags, a three block walk to a locked car park, and then three flights of stairs (no lift) to drag your luggage up.
Having said that, the restaurant and staff are lovely.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple