“Appalling sevice”

The Brentwood Hotel
Ranked #42 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed in the Brentwood Hotel Aberdeen 12 March 3013. I sustained a burn to my knee that blisterered while using the loo due to the surface temperature & location of the electric heated towel rail. I jumped in the bath to apply cold water. Guess whast? No cold water.I complained to reception. The duty manager went to my room. he informed me there was no water problem & accused me of not opperating the shower properly. I asked for another room but was informed there were no spare rooms available. In the morning I tried to have a shower. No cold water.
After waiting at reception for ten minutes I was given a half hearted appology & a key to another room to take a shower. (How strange as the night manager informed me there were no spare rooms) The water issue nearly made me late for a training course along with another person on the same course who stayed in an adjacent room. The room was at the front of the building. the widow was very hard to close. the window let in acold draft & let all the road noise through. I received a phone call later on that day from the manager appologising. To little to late for me. Unfortunately my employer had pre paid for the room. I would certainly not have paid for the room myself.Due to the weather the evening of my stay (heavy snow & well below freezing) & had a meal. the starter was per cooked & dry. The venison stew was best part beef.

Room Tip: Dont accept a room at the front. Its noisy. Check that your shower works OK before you unpacreally n...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 February 2013

I was here for a business trip for a week. When I first saw the hotel, I thought It was old and I'm not really impressed from the outside... But that changed when I walked through my room. I was surprised It was clean, modern and really cozy. I just ate breakfast at the hotel and I would say It is okay--- a typical Scottish breakfast. There are handful of restaurant within the area. 3 minutes walk from the hotel, you'll find a decent Chinese and Japanese restaurants. If you'll walk further (around 5 mins), you'll find a lot of fast foods like KFC, McDonalds etc etc. In this street you'll also find numerous clothes and shoes stores like Primark, UGG, etc etc... If you want to go to the mall, you'll need to walk for about 15 mins. there you will find a lot of stuff like Zara, Mango, and a lot of branded shops. Over all I liked this hotel and will be staying again here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Keziahloris
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This hotel, in most other uk cities would be seriously overpriced but in Aberdeen is average. I'll start with the positives....free, fast WiFi....good location....good selection of beer in the bar. That's about all I can come up with. Now unfortunately for the negatives....I stayed in room 115 which is opposite the top of the first flight of stairs which means you hear everyone coming up, then going up the rest. The walls are shockingly thin and when my neighbour flushed his toilet it sounded like a train passing by! The room is also directly over the very brightly lit entrance so if you want a dark room forget it. As others have said there are no bathroom toiletries, only dove shower cream. All in all a very average, basic hotel with above average prices and on that basis I would opt for a standard premier inn or jury's inn for future trips.

Room Tip: Avoid lower ground front facing from my experience but take heed of other reviewers that say the rea...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This hotel is conveniently located near the main thoroughfare in Aberdeen. It is also a short walk from the rail station though you do need to know where you are going or you will wander around aimlessly for a while, as I did! There is a car parking area attached but large vehicles would find it difficult to manoevre in the limited space if it's busy.
I was greeted warmly at reception and given my room which turned out to be looking out on the car park. For a single night stay it didn't matter but for longer bookings this would be something to avoid if possible as cars do start exiting early in the morning. The room was small but the bed was large and comfortable. However the bathroom was cramped with little room between the bath and the wall. There was a shower over the bath.
I ate in the restaurant in the evening and found the food very acceptable and reasonably priced.
The staff, without exception, were always pleasant and helpful. I would have no qualms about using the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: If you want a view or a lie-in in the morning try and book a room NOT facing into the car park.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We were initially repelled by an unprecedentedly hostile reception. The reception lady was deeply abrupt and unwelcoming. Our room as not ready at 2pm as advertised; and we were given no impression that any attempts were being made to make it ready.

When we reached it, the bedroom was functional only. There was no soap or shampoo, but pendent tubes requiring squeezing. Since they hung over the floor, there was high leakage.

After that everything got better. The position is excellent: 100 yards only to station and city centre. It is also remarkably quiet, despite its central location. The breakfast was freshly cooked and included fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Rooms are functional. Bring your own soap!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My wife and I selected the Brentwood due to it's location and their many positive reviews. The location was good, but our experience definitely didn't match our expectations.

PROs
The associates were generally friendly and the location was within walking distance of restaurants, pubs, and shops.

CONS
Our room (the Express "suite") was in dire need of a renovation. It looked like a college dorm room from the early 90s. The bed felt like an old futon mattress and the linens were uncomfortable. The bathroom didn't even have soap! We asked for some and all they provided was a tube of Dove body wash.

Another word of caution is the car park. We Americans are much less adept at parking in ultra-tight spaces as our friends in the UK. (I'm sure it's a breeze for the locals.) If you are from the U.S., expect an adventure each time you park unless you have the skills of a NYC parking lot attendant.

THE SKINNY
There has got to be a better place to stay in Aberdeen!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Toister
Reviewed 19 September 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights, the reception staff were very friendly, and were available to help with any questions we had. The room was clean and very warm. It was also well stocked with teas and coffees. It is a short walk from shops and restaurants which is handy.
We did not eat in the hotel restaurant for dinner. We used the hotel carpark, which is great if you do have a car and you do not wish to pay alot for parking.
Breakfast was the only thing that brought the hotel down. The staff didn't appear to be interested in making sure guests were happy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple