“Disappointing”

Dining options: Reservations
Moray
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This place could be great! Went for lunch today but disappointed. Service was poor (waiter needed a good shower and the other unshaven). Drinks came and missing drink, no apologies, another unshaven bar tender sauntered over and took order claiming they service appletise with lemon slice in it as a normal thing. Strange. The good was good, when it eventually came, very very slow. Course cheese missing from both burgers! Final odd thing is the strange Samsung tv located in each booth seating area preselected to news channel but on mute! Again just very odd. The place wasn't busy and I suspect reflects the rather lathargic sloppy 'not listening' service. Food pretty good quality... Try harder as could be SO much better as place looks lovely!

• Visited July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Graduation Lunch”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Beautiful surroundings, great service, fantastic food, great value.
We visited the restaurant for lunch to celebrate my daughters graduation and could not fault one thing. There were nine of us in total, seven adults and two children. Great children's menu and exceptional adults menu with something for everyone, The food was beautifully presented and tasted fantastic. The wine list had a good choice for all palates and wallets. The staff were very attentive and even brought an extra little cake for my daughter with a congratulation message.
Just what Aberdeen needs. Keep it up.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Susan G
“Private dining experience”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Recently visited the Chester for a meal in the private dining room for 30+ people. Really nice room with private terrace overlooking Aberdeen. Had heard very mixed reports about the food and service but was happy overall with everything. As we were a large crowd we had a set menu and the food was delicious, not massive portions but I don't think you expect that in this kind of place. I always prefer quality to quantity when it comes to grub! Service was good, there shouldn't be much that can go wrong with a set menu and there wasn't. The other 2 smaller private dining rooms also look really good but the main restaurant lacked in atmosphere and looked a bit bare.

• Visited June 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Food is lovely, service is painful”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Have now visited the Chester for afternoon tea, lunch and dinner (not all on the same day ;) ) and after lunch there on Sunday feel compelled to review.
The food on each occasion has been of a high standard (with the exception of very poor unrisen scones at afternoon tea) but each time the service has been seriously lacking. The staff are slow, stiff and awkward even tripping over their own feet at my most recent visit! Drinks orders took forever. The waiter hovered a bit too closely obviously unsure of when was a good time to ask if we were finished our meal. The bill was presented with the card machine at the same time and then when we asked for a minute to view the bill it was an age before we had to ask for someone to come back for payment. Although I've been a few times now I certainly wouldn't rave about the place or rush back again now. Hopefully the staff get some training and it improves by the time I next eat there.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“I would definitely go back but......”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

To be honest, I wasn't blown away by this place. I really wanted to be though given it was a "5 star luxury hotel." I didn't like how the tables were laid out. We were seated in the sort of mezzanine level in front of the seafood / meat counter. This would have been fine had there been more tables at this part but it seemed the bulk of the tables etc were further up. Just a niggle and not a huge deal. Food wise - what I had was really great for the most part. I had the banana soufflé for dessert and was really put off. Not nice at all. Price wise, it was a little over the top for what we were getting. I felt that it was slightly pretentious and although the staff presented well, they seemed a little confused. My friend's steak wasn't cooked correctly and had to be sent back. These are things that definitely put you off returning. But I do think this place had lots of potential. We sat in the bar afterwards and the staff / atmosphere seemed to be better.
As I say, I would go back but maybe in a couple of months or so!

• Visited June 2014