“Great Food, Terrible Service”

IX The Chester Hotel
Ranked #50 of 679 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Terrible Service”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My Girlfriend took me here as a treat for Completing my last University Exam of the year, Having heard about its sister hotel and restaurant in Edinburgh (Ranked No. 1) and knowing this is likely to be the hotel that attempts to take over from the massive hole the Excellent Marcliffe Hotel will leave when it closes later this year, expectations were high.

We sat down in the Bar area having chose this over the restaurant menu and ordered our drinks, One Beer and one Cocktail, sadly we were still waiting for them 15 minutes later even though there were only another 2 tables currently sat down and a plethora of staff wandering around. When the drinks did arrive I noted the beer was Luke warm and not what I was looking forward too although it was to be said the cocktails were excellent.

The food was excellent when it did arrive, Starters and Mains although I noticed the table to the right of us ordered a Toastie and Club Sandwich complained after waiting 30 minutes for their order too arrive whilst the table to the left swiftly left after being sat for 10-15 minutes with the menu and not being attended too.

Overall the food was great but service was sadly lacking.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Ryan D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Aberdeen, Scotland
“Wonderful bar meals and reasonable”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Arranged to meet friends for a bar supper in the Chester. We'd only been to the restaurant three or four times before - but never a bar supper. It was simply excellent! Brilliant menu. Service second to none. Lovely ambiance. Prices very reasonable. Cannot recommend it enough! Wonderful! Will definitely go again SOON.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank HankBrogieLabrador
Stonehaven
“Friendly professional staff”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My daughter and I had afternoon tea. The choice of teas were good the scones and cakes were nice but the sandwich selection could have been better. Friendly professional staff. Quite expensive. If you want a glass of wine it is extra, the prosecco is £7.00 which I thought was a bit steep.

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Really enjoyed my family birthday meal on a Friday night. Service was super quick, giving quite worrying first impressions however steaks (medium/medium well) both cooked to perfection! Really yummy. Really loved the thought they had put into desserts - I had Eton Mess with a strawberry daiquiri sauce - very tasty!!

Waiting staff knew their stuff although brand new menu that day, and were very friendly and chatty.

Parisian Daiquiri - WOW. Would defo recommend (and also love to know exactly how to make it!).

Only down side was prices were a bit dodgy on bill - had to point out two mistakes (lobster and cocktails) which weren't even properly amended.

Would return 100%, food or drinks - also fancy trying the private dining rooms for a special occasion.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank aimeen94
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
“5 STAR++”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
I have been to The Chester for drinks, lunch and evening meals and I continue to get blown away every time I step foot in the door.
We are always welcomed by friendly professional staff, beautiful décor and furnishings and just a nice relaxed welcoming atmosphere.
The service is First class and the staff accommodate your every need to ensure your time in their presence is the best it possibly can be.
The food ohhhh the food it’s just D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S, very well presented and worth every penny…….. best food and service in Aberdeen by far.
Perfect place for a lovely meal, a celebration, a romantic getaway or just to go and chill out.
I can not recommend The Chester highly enough - it’s everything and more you would ever expect from a hotel/bar/restaurant.

Truly Amazing