“Disappointing and Pricey”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Stage Door Restaurant - CLOSED

The Stage Door Restaurant
Cuisines: British, Steakhouse, Seafood, Grill, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and Pricey”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

As a treat, my mother-in-law took my wife and myself out for a meal. We ended up in the Stage Door because our restaurant of choice was flooded. My wife and I had been in the Stage Door many years ago and it was not a good experience, but we figured it might have improved in that time. How wrong we were.

My wife had the lobster and crab ravioli for a starter. It was ok but the foam added nothing to the dish- being tasteless and was more effect than substance. The salsa accompaniment was fresh. My mother-in-law enjoyed her starter of haggis and black pudding bonbons. My scallops with chorizo were tasty but lukewarm. We figured it wasn't too bad.

The main courses proved interesting. Our tongues were hanging out when they arrived as we waited almost half an hour. My mother-in-law had the salmon and when she first saw it all was well, but she found parts near the skin were partly cooked. Her salad was limp and lifeless and the Bearnese Sauce was lukewarm. As for the hand cut chips, they were dry potato wedges. My wife had the pork belly. The skin was flaccid and greasy, although the meat itself was tasty. The black pudding served with it was overcooked and greasy, which was a terrible way to treat such a quality ingredient.

I had the ribeye steak on the bone, which was cooked to perfection. Given that it was Donald Russell's 28 day matured meat it would surprising had it not been great! The Bearnese Sauce I ordered came in a small jug and it was lukewarm and there was skin forming on it when poured. The fondant potato was cooked but lacked richness and flavour, and some seasoning. When I found my portabello mushroom it was overcooked and cold.

At the end of the main courses our waitress asked us if all was well and we said we were disappointed and intimated the above, she said that she would pass on our comments to the chef. She returned to our table and said that the chef would consider our complaints and would hope to do better next time. No compensation. Nothing. We won't be back. I felt that we were being dismissed. So much for the rights of the customer. If a restaurant does fine dining with fine dining prices I expect a certain standard of quality and service, with every element of each course being tiptop. No excuses about the numbers. If you can't deliver quality with greater numbers- don't be greedy!

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank Colin M

Kendal, United Kingdom
“Worst Main Course in Years!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked a table for four to celebrate our daughter's graduation in July. We are usually happy diners, not fussy and rarely complain. We liked the interior of the place, the atmosphere was lively (about 3/4 full) and noisy but that was ok, we were there to celebrate!
The (cold) starters were nicely presented and very tasty and everything looked promising. And then came the wait...... We had to remind the staff several times and still waited. The staff were very apologetic and tried their best to get our main course to the table. When it finally arrived it was a massive disappointment! My husband had ordered an open leaf broccoli lasagne which literally consisted of one cooked sheet of lasagne pasta with some broccoli florets around it and a lump of blue cheese on top. We were quite stunned but my husband insisted not to complain since he didn't want to spoil the evening. My daughter and I had ordered salmon fillet and salad and when it finally arrived the fish was half raw, This time we really had to say sth since this had become a food safety issue. After more apologies and another 20 minute wait and almost 2 hours after we had first sat at the table our this time fully cooked salmon finally arrived by which time the rest of our party had of course already finished their main course. The salad which came with it was minute, just enough ingredients to meet the description on the menu (1 small potatoe, 1 cherry tomatoe, 1 french bean cut in half, handful of salad leaves, etc). The staff were courteous enough to offer us free coffee and we were not charged for the salmon - but quite frankly - we would have gladly paid the slightly over the top prices for a half decent meal served in a timely fashion. It had really rather ruined the whole evening for us and what should have been the celebration of a special occasion.
Would we give the Stage Door another try - probably not, there are many other good dining options in Aberdeen.
And my advice to the Stage Door - if you can't handle the number of diners, don't take the bookings!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Kornelia D
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been here a couple of times for a pre theatre meal . The food was lovely and all served in plenty time to get to the theatre. I would definitely go again Its a really nice layout and not far off the beaten track once you know where it is.

• Visited May 2014
Aberdeen
“Amazing food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I have visited the Stagedoor twice in the past year, both times the food has been excelled. The staff were keen to offer suggestions and assist with wine selections without being too over bearing. The only negative I would have to mention is the first time we dined there we were sat on the lower section which is beautiful. On our second visit we were placed on the higher section which had paper napkins and didn't seen as were furnished as the lower part. The restaurant was busy both times we were there but didn't seen busy enough to sit us in the higher section as there was plenty of tables still available.

However, I would not hesitate to return and recommend it to all!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Florencepukki
aberdeen
“Just simply lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Dined here in the evening , gd choice on the menu and the service was excellent - attentive but not intrusive, and the good was very very nice, good wine selection too - give it a go it will not disappoint

• Visited July 2014