Enigma Cafe Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

I was really disappointed with lunch here. My burger was quite dry and came with about 10 chips and that was it. No salad or lettuce etc in burger. Chips were nice though.

Staff doing good job of clearing tables and nice atmosphere but would not go back for food.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Visited Enigma with two friends just beore 5.00 today, on a beautifully sunny afternoon. We wanted to sit on the decking area in the sun where a table had just become free but only 2 chairs were available. Two of us went inside to ask if we could take a chair outside - inside was nearly empty - which we would bring back after we had used it. I asked politely but the rudeness of the reply quite frankly astonished us. I asked a young girl behind the bar the question but an older man came up behind her before she had a chance to reply and said absolutely not. He then said he had just bought those chairs and there was no way they were going outside. We were very taken aback by his attitude and were probably looking a bit gobsmacked, for want of a better word. He quickly added that he was not joking and no way were we taking a chair outside. He then told us to go and take a chair from Costa next door because we could do that without being seen by their security cameras. We were completely appalled by the suggestion and by his attitude so took ourselves and our custom to Costa. I don't know if this man is the owner or a manager but I have never previously encountered such uncalled for rudeness anywhere in a bar or restaurant. We were both completely surprised and shocked that he would talk to us as he did and still expect our custom. Obviously I can make no comment on the menu but if a zero star rating were available I would have used it because this encounter was worse than the terrible which a one star rating represents. It was quite unbelievable.

3  Thank scottishtraveller44
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Went in quite early, only one other table occupied, got seen to quite quickly by the waitress/bar woman.

I ordered the soup of the day and a sandwich, it was some meal deal thing. My wife ordered the caesar salad.

Food arrived and the soup was luke warm and had zero flavour. The sandwich was a thin layer of coronation chicken between two massive bits of ciabata bread, i could barely tell that there was a filler in the sandwich.

The caesar salad was basically just lettuce with some shavings of parmesan with ice cold chicken on top, certainly not freshly cooked, it seemed to come straight out of a packet.

Awful experience. Will not go back.

1  Thank Dons1977
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Been to Enigman a few times but wont be going back.
I think we should have took the hint when the waitress asked if we wanted our starters before the main course?????
Chicken pie was salty, carrots cold and soggy and the chunky chips were over cooked and not at all chunky.
One plus point, hubby said his burger was OK.

1  Thank mumsonline
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The best thing going for this place is the little "square" onto which it faces, which is a fab hang out on a sunny day. We popped in after the monthly Belmont Street farmers market, for a coffee and some sun worship. We ordered juices, water and coffee (espressos). The coffee was probably the worst I had in this town, bitter, tasteless, "overcooked", and plain awful. But the most disgusting thing was the glasses in which they served the drinks, they were dirty, one of my friends still had lipstick imprint on his, mine was similarly dirty with oily fingerprints. To have such minimum, terrible standard, to serve clients in dirty mouth marks from previous customer, sorry but that is just NOT ON! If I wonder into this square again, though not a fan of Costa Coffee at all, I would rather catch the sun rays from there, at least I have never had dirty unwashed cups served in there before! I was too disgusted to even contemplate ordering the food, I would not vouch for the hygiene in there, or be so sure I am not eating somebody else's reheated left over chips. Yuk!

1  Thank l-globetrotter