“Poor food, service and cleanliness”
Review of Yu Restaurant - CLOSED

Yu Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Visited as a couple on a weekday evening. Service from the "manager" terrible, he was extremely rude, grunting at as and treating us as if we were disrupting his evening. The starters were ok - the butterflied prawns were so overcooked we had to fight with them to bite them and the shredded chicken could have been anything. Mains - steak canton was nice but the chilli beef was inedible. Not convinced there was any beef in it. We complained but there was no apology, just told they would tell the chef and nothing more was said. The surroundings were dirty, with food splashes on the walls and dirty hot plates. When it came to pay the bill it was vastly overpriced, especially for all it was. And no discount for the main we could not eat. Will not be back, ever.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Very disappointed. My wife had booked a table at Yu to celebrate my birthday. It used to be my favourite place to eat in Aberdeen when I was a lot younger, but it is so sad to see how bad it has become now.

As soon as we arrived we could feel the hostility from the staff, especially the manager/head waiter. He seemed to be really angry about something, and barked at us to follow him to our table. Both my wife and I were shocked at how rude he was being, in fact it was a bit scary as he was so abrupt! He was stomping back and forth looking very angry - not the kind of atmosphere you want when you are out for a special occasion.

Our actual meal was very nice - nice portion sizes and tasty food, but unfortunately the whole thing was ruined by the atmosphere that he had created. We were both so shocked about how rude he was being that we rushed to finish and get out of there before something happened.

We will never go back there. It was a lovely meal but entirely ruined by the horrible attitude of the manager/head waiter.

1  Thank AberdeenJrabbit
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Visited this restaurant 22nd November after booking an "It is On" deal. It was rush rush from the minute we set foot in the door! Our starters were ok. The main meals were disgusting! My husband ordered chicken schezwan and I had beef with green peppers. My meal was bland but edible however the chicken was rubbery like heated in a microwave! We complained to the manager who said he would report our comments to the kitchen, whilst he told the girls to clear our table and reset it for the next customers!! I said excuse me....we are still finishing of our glass of wine, this fell on deaf ears, they continued to relay the cutlery etc. my overall experience wad this is the worst restaurant and rudest people I gave ever encountered!! Would never recommend. This is also the first time I gave put a bad review forward

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Went here after buying a groupon voucher, which included a starter, drink and main course for half price. I was worried that there might be a catch as usual, but the portion sizes were much bigger than expected, and the food was great quality. The staff were friendly and helpful, and service was quick and efficient. The honey chilli chicken was nice, but more of a darker sauce than the other restaurants serve. The chicken satay skewers were huge, and were the size of a chicken breast each.

1  Thank mac1cj
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Came here for supper one night with the fiance. We were seated straight away and ordered the Special Set Dinner B which costs £21.50 per person and includes a starter platter, followed by duck, then the main course of beef, chicken and prawns. A dessert is also included (I had the Mandarin Cheesecake). Tea/Coffee is included too but we were too full up to have anything else. All the food was delicious and the service was very quick. This restaurant is a must.