“Appalling service and meal...”
Review of Fife Lodge Hotel

Fife Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A truly disappointing dining experience and appalling customer service. Calling in for a bar meal tonight, one dish was very good, the other - haddock and chips - was unbelievably bad. I didn't know there were bonsai haddock... A tiny fish, the size of a dab, with a few chips was served up. If it had been smoked I could have rationalised it by thinking that smoking stunted its growth. But, no, it was just a case of a bijou, mini haddock-ette.

When asked after 2 minutes the customary question, "Is everything all right?" I said that the fish was lovely, but that I'd never in my life been seved such a tiny portion. Ever. Anywhere. The pleasant waitress promptly agreed and said that they had had problems with deliveries and this was all that's left. Oh, so it's not even fresh??? She even jovially noted that it's usually as big as the plate! Yes, exactly... So why serve me the Lilliput portion?

As I'm getting around to clearing the last couple of chips *the fish having gone in about 3 bites) she re-appears and says that the chef was willing to cook another piece for me if I wanted. Well...the meal is now over, it's a bit late, isn't it? So the bill arrives and when I see I've been charged the full £11.95 for such an appalling apology for a meal I say that I would have thought they might have knocked a couple of quid off. She just walks away and her colleague asks for the full £47.55 (two mains, two puds, two coffees, one glass of wine and one soda and lime and it's not a kick in the pants off 50 quid - for a bar meal???!!!!)

Do not give such a poor hotel your business. This is simply bad, bad, bad treatment of a customer. Even when given the opportunity to make amends at the bill, they had no idea. A gesture of a couple of quid would have saved me writing this - which I suspect will cost them a lot more in the long run. And quite rightly!

We used come here often but hadn't been for a few years. Never again, there are many more places in the area I can give my money to, and plenty more fish in the sea - almost all of which are well over 3 inches, unlike the apology for a haddock I got tonight.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We recently dined at fife lodge and wa very disappointed at lack of menu choice. Once we got our food the chips were not even cooked right and the potatoes were clearly off as some chips were green!!! Told tge waitress and all that was done was she said she would let tge chef know. Expensive for what you get. Would have been nice to see a veggie pption on menu and also a salad or pasta dish. No of these on menu. Very poor.

• Stayed: May 2014
Ron T, Owner at Fife Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

We are sorry your dining experience was less than ideal.
One bag of potatoes was not the best and we did sort through them to eliminate the bad ones. Our apologies for the ones we missed.
The dinner menu does say that a separate vegetarian menu is available on request and there is a pasta dish on that. Our lunch menu has salad options and, if asked, we would happily provide a salad in the evening.
We will be changing our menus shortly and will incorporate both pasta and salads -- thank you for the suggestions.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

When I stayed at this hotel earlier its week it was very quiet with only 2 residents - you might have expected a lesser service because of this. The service was excellent the staff were so friendly and helpful and the food was exquisite. I would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel - not many rooms but that is probably what makes it quite unique

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed over one night whilst on business. I didn't arrive until quite late and had to leave before breakfast was served. I was offered a cold selection for breakfast or something to take. A small fridge was placed outside my room with a selection of requested breakfast options. Although I arrived quite late the booking company informed me that dinner would be available on my arrival regardless of when that would be. I can highly recommend this hotel for friendliness, service, quality of food and spotless rooms. I would not hesitate to book again as I know that anyone staying would be well looked after.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2014

i booked this hotel as we had to stay for a family funeral in the area, from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the staff and owner were really nice, gave us all we needed, as this was a sad time we needed the space, we had a family room to sleep four, clean and spacious, pity we could not have stayed longer, its a hotel that obviously has standards, plenty of free parking, not too far from the town, but far enough to discourage drunks, GREAT. as we are not party goers we will be back, the place is clean and quiet, other guests respected you, as we did them, I suppose if we looked hard enough we could have picked a couple of things, but hey life is too short, too many TV programmes giving people ideas, the breakfast is enough to set anyone up for the day, plenty of everything, well cooked local produce, a great base to visit an abundance of local attractions, will be back for the whiskey trail very soon, you must give this hotel a visit if your in the area, I also noticed that even the tradesmen were treated as equals, no matter how they were dressed, I thank you all for looking after us in our sad loss of my sister, places like yours are few and far between, Regards from Mal, Katherine, Christine.

we will return.

Room Tip: all rooms are great, all have good views, plenty of space to move about,
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank scarboroughgod1
Ron T, Owner at Fife Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We were glad to be of service at this sad time and hope we will see you again sometime in the future.

Linda

Reviewed 11 February 2014

What a gorgeous Christmas we had as a family at the Fife Lodge Hotel. Friendly staff and excellent service all round, scrumptious food and a festive atmosphere. The kids had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the nearby park.
BRIDGID ABRA

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

We really like hosting people from different countries and hope to welcome many more South Africans. Thank you for your positive review

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Visited the Fife Lodge for a meal before attending a wedding dance.
4 in our party and we decided to eat in the lounge bar instead of the restaurant as we could get a table right next to a big roaring log fire.
The waitress was really nice and we got our drinks quickly.
We went straight for mains as we all fancied pudding afterwards.  Mains were Slow roast lamb shank and  with mash & roast veg gravy; Chicken fillets in home made batter; Fresh haddock in beer batter and Breaded Scampi.
The Haddock and Chicken were definitely home prepared and both delicious.  The scampi was classed as good, but unfortunately the lamb shank I thought was flàvourless.  Lots of lovely tastes on the plate with the mash and roast veg gravy, which were both perfect. So its a pity about the shank lacking some good flavour.  However, it was cooked well and the fork pulled the meat from the bone.
Puddings were: Portsoy ice creams; cheescake, sticky toffee pudd with caramel suace and cheese board for myself.. Everone enjoyed their dishes and the presentation on the plates was excellent as you could they had spent time in making the presentation look appealing.
The cheese board had 4 large oatcakes and 4 crackers, a few grapes, celery, and a small bowl of home made chutney. 4 different cheeses   and portion size was just spot-on. The sticky toffee pudding came in a large bowl with a fair sized portion of spoge and sailing in caramel suace and cream - absolutely perfect.  The cheescake had the constitution more resembling a moose but the portion was large and extremely tasty. Ditto, you cànt go wrong with Portsoy icecream and it arrived on top of a smooth chocolate sauce.  Perfect.
So overall the meal was really enjoyable and the only failing (for me) was the lamb shank. Everyone ejoyed themselves we were concious that a large wedding meal was being served in the hall, but we never once felt neglected.  We will definitely be back and the staff were great and very helpful throughout.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Ron T, Owner at Fife Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

We appreciate your review and we were happy to see that generally your comments were positive about service, and that you enjoyed your meal.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Banff
Banff Springs Hotel
#1 of 7 in Portsoy
Station Hotel Portsoy
Station Hotel Portsoy
#2 of 7 in Portsoy

Been to Fife Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!