“One great place to stay”

The Old Vicarage B & B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arbroath
The Old Vicarage B & B
Ranked #8 of 22 Arbroath B&B and Inns
Vancouver
“One great place to stay”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My sister and I were visiting elderly relatives and wanted a Bed and Breakfast to make things easier. The Old Vicarage was close by and had excellent reviews so we booked and are we ever glad we did. Everything was perfect down to the finest detail. Loris is an excellent hostess offering superb breakfasts and the one day we had our Arbroath smokies, they had been bought that morning which I believe she does for any of the fish breakfast she serves. The location is convenient to town, the cliffs over the beach where the walkers go I believe and is extremely quiet. The building itself has been restored with loving care to detail and we just couldn't have asked for more. Highly recommend this B&B to others wanting to stay in Arbroath.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LateTravelers
arbr0athlassie_12, Owner at The Old Vicarage B & B, responded to this review, 22 September 2014
Thank you very much for choosing my home for your stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I thank you for taking time to write a lovely review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
USA
Reviewed 24 April 2013

the interior is worth a picture or two. mrs. mcewan is really attentive and sincere in her efforts to accommodate you. great breakfasts! in a quiet neighborhood and less than 10 minutes by foot to high street.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Zack958
Thank you very much for your highly complimentary feed back regarding your stay in my home. I am so delighted that you had a wonderful experience and I thank you for tasking the time to share your thoughts.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I travelled to Scotland with 2 friends for a wedding in May 2012 and we decided to visit my friend's family in Arbroath before the wedding and see the sites in the area. We were recommended to the Old Vicarage by a Canadian member of the family that had stayed there. As the reviews were good on Trip Advisor as well, we booked for 2 nights and were very glad we did. After staying in other B&B’s and hotels in Scotland we can really see why they were awarded 5 stars. Loris was very welcoming when we arrived and brought us coffee and cookies in our room so we could regroup before heading out again. She asked us if we wanted milk or cream for coffee for later and when we came back there was cream in my friends refrigerator and a bottle of water cooling in mine as requested. We were given a key to the house and our room so we could come and go. She also inquired about our plans and offered suggestions and also suggestions for dinner. She even loaned me a copy of a little book for a nature walk. As we were visiting family and they had our time planned we didn't take Loris up on her suggestions but it was so nice that she was interested and wanted to make sure that our stay in Arbroath was everything it could be.

The rooms were lovely, fairly spacious and filled with comfortable antiques. The rooms are all ensuite with very modern fittings but also fit the Old Vicarage period style. Breakfast both days was wonderful. The breakfast room is charming and decorated in antiques. Loris made us the full Scottish breakfast as we had ordered upon arrival and there was also yoghurt and cereal and a homemade fruit bread and homemade jam as well. There was a choice of juice and a choice of coffee or tea. Everything was refilled as required and she made sure to check and make sure we had enough of everything or if we needed more coffee. I asked her to delete a few things from my breakfast for the next day as it was too much for me and she remembered and breakfast was served the way I asked for it.

There is ample street parking and there is a bit of a view of the Abbey from the bedroom windows. It is a short walk to the Abbey and it is worth the visit to see it. Also you can walk to the high street for shopping. I needed Boot’s the Chemist (Drug Store to Canadians and Americans) and it was a very pleasant walk with beautifu and on the way a pretty church and the library with a statue of Robbie Burns in front. The high street is a pedestrian street. People are very friendly and helpful in Arbroath and Loris at The Old Vicarage could not have been nicer. We definitely recommend a stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 611John1958
It is said that word of mouth is the best advertisement that anyone can get for their business and I was so delighted to read that it was a family member from Canada who had previously stayed at The Old Vicarage who made this recommendation to you.. Wow. I also thank you for accepting this recommendation and coming to stay in my home. I am over the moon that you had a wonderful stay in my home and I thank you for taking the time to write and share such a lovely review of your experience.
Birmingham, England
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Loris the owner does everything she can to make you feel at home at her first rate B and B. Nice rooms and a superb choice of food at breakfast coupled with a really helpful host makes this a recommendation from me. Even made me a nice pot of tea after my seven hour train trip, simple but so much better than a kettle in a chain hotel (you do have tea/coffee making facilities in the room as well but this was a nice personal touch).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank brianthelion
Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and good to hear that something as simple as a welcoming tray of tea makes a stay just that bit better.
Melb
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Quaint old style décor in a comfortable room.
Staff very accommodating with all necessary items supplied.
Breakfast was whatever you requested (within limitation).
Location reasonable within a short walk to town centre.

Reasonable value for money

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dgs99
Thank you for your lovely feedback. I run my B&B single handed so delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed at the Old Vicarage for 2 nights and Loris helped us feel very much at home, actually better than at home since Loris provides a very complete and delicious breakfast including a surprise cake. Our room was spacious and comfortable and had a view of the beautiful garden.
Loris provided helpful directions and information on dinner options. The location is wonderful since it is close to Victoria Park and the cliffs, both excellent for walking,; we even saw dolphins in the ocean.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy S
Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay. I am very much delighted that you enjoyed your stay, that you thought the breakfast was excellent. and you very much enjoyed the surprise homemade loaf which I bake daily and different each day.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My wife and I were visiting relatives who I had not seen in 40 years. Having travelled from Australia via stopovers in Paris, Brest and London, we were in need of a respite, and not wanting to put our relatives out, we spent three nights with Loris & Mike at their B & B --The Old Vicarage. If you are into Victorian charm, then this B & B has that in spades. Our room had two ensuites .... one small and one large, and was extremely comfortable.

Breakfasts were a highlight, with ours ranging from an Arbroath Smokie to a full Scottish breakfast, accompanied by home made conserves and cakes. Loris sure cooks up a storm for guests at breakfast-time. The only downside for us was the strict 5:00 pm check-in. However, once we realised that a B & B has one full-time member of staff, it made sense. If not for this check-in time, Loris would have no life of her own. In the end it turned out not to be an issue.

Overall, a great B & B added to by Loris booking a High Tea for us to farewell our Scottish side of the family.

Room Tip: None needed.