“Wonderful Getaway”
Review of The Station Hotel

The Station Hotel
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Just returned from another visit to the Station Hotel. Every bit as good as last time. Very comfortable room, lovely food and friendly staff. Just the ideal hotel for a relaxing break. A great location for touring with regular bus and train sevices if you felt like a break from driving.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 February 2013

My wife Diane and I visited the Station Hotel in Carnoustie after booking by phone a table for lunch for the next day and we arrived to be greeted by a staff member and taken to our seat in the Restaurant . We were made welcome by her and we ordered our usual drinks J2 O and they had them in stock . We were given the menus and told of their Specials that they had for that day and we chose the starters from the main menu (prawn cocktail it was but under a similar name) and then we chose Home made Steak pie and my wife chose Chicken & Ham Pie from the special menu as a change from her usual lunches out at various catering establishments in the Angus Area etc .

The starters and the main courses were excellently presented and delivered with the happy helpful staff member who greeted us initially . The meal was ideal and we would certainly recommend the Station Hotel at Carnoustie to anyone wishing a lunch .

The Carnoustie railway station is nearby and is on the main London -Edinburgh to Aberdeen line but we in the restaurant did not hear any of the traffic and the trains did not affect our meals or anything in the hotel that day or on our previous visits to this catering establishment in Carnoustie ! There are a number of old photographs on the hotel walls showing the building previously or some Railway posters too but they give a good historical picture to look at during the visit to the hotel

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Another job away from home took me to Carnoustie and the office booked me into this charming establishment. As the name suggests it is right next to the town railway station and hence the main East Coast railway to Edinburgh. This means some distant noise as trains thunder by about 100 metres away, but I didn't find it any more distracting than most city center traffic noise. At the back and bordering the railway station is a large parking area. An obvious rear enterance from the car park, leads into the hotel.The welcome from the staff was warm and friendly. The decor of the public areas is not that inspiring, but is typical of this standard of hotel, in my experiance. The room was spotless as was the shower room / toilet. Dinner was had in the hotel restaurant on both evenings of my stay and was superb! A good choice of dishes and sweets. The food quality gave the impression of having been cooked in house. Again, the serving staff were cheerful and efficient, with a can-do attitude. It was leading up to Christmas and all the eating rooms were very busy. Always a good indicator of a good establishment when the locals use it. The breakfast was plentyfull and freshly cooked. If I have cause to go there or my employer sends me to the area again I will gladly stay here again. My only gripe, Communicated to the staff on booking out, was that my room was realy quite cold as was the shower room. The radiators didn't seem to get hot enough. This is a fairly minor point, but sitting on the bed after a couple of nice pints in the bar, watching the tv, was made somewhat uncomfortable by the lack of heat. This despite double glazing and thick curtains. For the record though, outside temperatures were well below zero for that whole week.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank petemob
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We very staying in Carnoustie in another hotel but wish we'd stayed here. We ate here on the second night we were in the town and stayed in the bar until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. The food was excellent, Roast beef melted in the mouth. Apple pie and custard was excellent too. The staff were friendly and helpful and the atmosphere great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ayrshire081
Reviewed 10 December 2011

On Friday 9th December 2011 my wife and I visited the Station Hotel in Carnoustie for our booked Christmas lunch and we were in the Restaurant due to the time of year and our table was set out for Christmas and even the napkins displayed differently to the normal display for napkins .

Oh yes when we arrived we were taken to our seat by a very nice polite staff member and she gave us copies of the menu for us to each read and she took the drinks order which in our case was J2 0 orange /mango and then she took the order . The order arrived and what a nice presentation of our first course .. prawn etc and then along came the main meal with excellently cooked vegetables ,potatoes etc and the Turkey was just 100% . Really well presented and the staff member was really helpful and kind asking us what sauses etc we required .
We then decided not to have the sweet course as we would be too full and it would not be pleasant just to have that extra course. We then had coffees and mints .

The young female member of staff was excellent and caring and was so helpful . A real jem to have on the staff and other staff members spoke to us as they went past us to the other tables in the restaurant area .

The cost of the 2 course Christmas lunch was £16.50 and £19.50 for 3 course . I think it was the 50 pence after each price but well worth it for a Christmas lunch at the Station Hotel in Carnoustie

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Letham45
Reviewed 16 November 2011

I stayed overnight at the Station Hotel in October...while the accommodation is dated it is clean and comfortable...however downstairs there are two good bar areas. Sadly we had no time to eat in the restaurant where the food is renowned as excellent. We returned to the hotel late on a Friday night very hungry.... the cheerful bar staff organised a lovely platter of delicious sandwiches which we had in the bar which was buzzing and full of people....great atmosphere, lovely people....

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Archie062
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This review is long overdue. From the moment we walked off the train and walked into the Station Hotel, my brother and I knew this was the place we would be staying. As a matter of fact, the Station Hotel is the only place we stayed for more than one night. Room was very comfortable, but the restaurant and friendly staff is what made this such a wonderful stay. All I can say is have a smokie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and have some banoffee pie for dessert! Go down to the bar and mingle with the locals later in the evening. I do not have a single bad thing to say about the fine folks of Carnoustie! Located very close to the Carnoustie Golf Links, my brother and I had a great time hacking our way around the course. I hope you enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank AJW1980
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnoustie
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
#2 of 2 in Brechin
19th Hole Hotel
19th Hole Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carnoustie

Been to The Station Hotel? Share your experiences!