“Nice weekend in Carnoustie”

Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Carnoustie
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Nice weekend in Carnoustie”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was the third time we have stayed at the hotel over the past 10 years and enjoyed a very nice stay overall. The highlights were the evening meal we had on Friday night which was really excellent as was the quality of the breakfast and service by the young "not a problem!" team on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were friendly, polite and very attentive. The food was of a very high standard every time we ate at the hotel.

The setting is wonderful (if you like golf) and not too far from Dundee. The hotel was built in the late 90's and shows its age a wee bit but the rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. If you are lucky enough to get (or upgrade to) a course facing room the views are beautiful.

We had a great time at the hotel and would definitely recommend it and hope to get back again soon..

Room Tip: Have the Haggis at breakfast - it is wonderful
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
gordon m, General Manager at Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for posting your comments which are much appreciated.
Hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel as I was on business in Aberdeen and Tayside. I was pleasantly surprised when I was upgraded to a suite until I got there! There was a lounge with 2 en-suite bedrooms. The suite was dated, especially the bathrooms which had a shower/sauna unit that had seen better days (10 years ago).
My biggest gripe however was the food. I ate in the bar and had Haddock on the first night and sirloin on the second. Both were poor, the steak was particularly poor, cold mushrooms and over cooked. I told the waitress ( who was lovely) and I got the feeling she had to field this kind of comment all the time. She said she would inform management but to no avail. Breakfast? I asked for sausage, bacon and eggs- I received 1 sausage, 1 rasher and 1 egg. Finally at checkout, I was greeted by a guy who couldn't even be bothered doing his top shirt button and, as expected, didn't ask if I enjoyed my stay. Well I didn't and I can only assume this hotel was busy because of the lack of hotel accommodation in Aberdeen.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for posting your comments.
Very disappointing to read your observations which have been shared and which we appreciate you bringing to our attention.

Travellers are raving about these Carnoustie hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

We booked here for one night on late rooms as was the only hotel available in the local area. We needed to be close due to my mother in law being in her last few days, we did not know how long we were needed. We explained this to the lady on reception, Lucy, who was very understanding, she moved some bookings around and managed to secure us a booking for the next 5 nights in the same room, at the same rate we paid for the first night, she said as long as we checked out by 11 we could check out at any time without paying for the remaining days. During a very difficult time she took the pressure off.
Later in the week she even asked how my mother in law was doing.
The hotel itself was clean, housekeeping was very through with clean towels and toiletries replaced daily, breakfast was included and cooked to order and parking was free.
Would not have thought of this hotel previously as we normally stay in a budget hotel brand, but considering breakfast was included for us both, free parking and free wifi I would defiantly stay here again. Lucy made a difficult trip stress free from the accommodation side and I am very grateful to her.

Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your comments which are much appreciated.
We hope all is well and that we can welcome you back under more positive circumstances.
Thanks again
Lossiemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

It was a very nice stay. Breakfast was very very good and it was included in the room price. The swimming pool was exceptional under 16 are not allowed in the sauna and steem room and Under 14's are not allowed in the Jacuzzi.
And we would come back here again sometime.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your review and delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

When I added some comments earlier in the year about this venue ,one of the points I raised was asking the training department to get involved and stop the servers replying "not a problem" for almost any request given in the dining room. After all it's a restaurant so why should a glass of water ,well done bacon or simply any request be a problem? The dining room is still bright and the serving done by kids ,it also seems that not many covers can't be catered for ,so if you want a table make a ,or try to make a reservation. I stand by my earlier review so won't cover the same ground again. The most recent annoyance was to be found in the bar . Unless I am mistaken and if I am I am sorry ,but it seemed that one of the staff's wife and unruly children took up residence in the main lounge. The children ,complete with outdoor shoes were climbing all over the chairs and sofa's ,with toys ,sweets scattered all over the place, not ideal for a quiet post dinner drink.
Bespoke Hotels the newish owners either don't care or have simply given up ,which is a real shame ,because the golf courses are all as wonderful as ever and the staff in the golf area are A1.As has been noted before by other reviewers investment is needed ,but more so they need to inspire their workforce to offer a better customer experience.
The boy racers still seem to use the seafront to test out their rev counters ,the local police really do need to stamp this out as anyone with room facing in that direction will be troubled by the noise.
As I said before this venue really should be a jewel ,sadly it's not.

Room Tip: golf course view would always be a plus
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for response.
I note each of your comments again and apologise for our failing to meet your expectations.
Forres, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My sister treated me and her to a 2 night stay for my 50th birthday. On arrival the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. We got champagne glasses from the bar staff no problem. The pool, sauna and jacuzzi was brilliant however the steam room wasn't working. We had a meal in the dining room it was very good. Drink slightly over priced. I would recommend this place to people. Located not far from the Main Street plenty of pubs to visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
gordon m, General Manager at Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for your comments.
Delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the future.
Happy Birthday!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Had a really good anniversary weekend at this hotel, we upgraded to a junior suite which overlooked the 1st and 18th holes. The room was very spacious clean and most comfortable, we didn't want to leave. Was unable to get a table in the dining room even although I tried to book a week in advance. However we ate in the Calder bar and food was good and priced reasonable, the second night we went to a great Indian called Ganges a must try if you need somewhere to eat. Only downside was the service at the breakfast, first morning we waited ages for our breakfast order to be taken and even longer for it to arrive, 2nd morning we got it ordered and eaten very quickly but they forgot the toast and tea, didn't get this until after we had eaten the cooked food. Overall a great time the breakfast didn't spoil it but would have made it an perfect weekend, even the weather was g

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review.
Pleased to learn you had a great weekend but I note your comments re breakfast.
Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carnoustie
Corner Hotel
Best Western Dundee Woodlands Hotel
Glenesk Hotel
Glenesk Hotel
#1 of 1 in Edzell

Been to Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel? Share your experiences!