“Thanks for a great stay...”

Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant
Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 15 Forfar B&B and Inns
Braintree, United Kingdom
“Thanks for a great stay...”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

First time away without the kids so it had to be good! Wasn't disappointed :)
Great service, fabulous food, SO friendly. Didn't stop when I got home and realised I'd left something behind either as they posted it straight back. Great location and easy access to Guthrie Castle weddings too...

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Forfar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were at restaurant for evening meal last Saturday and had excellent meal. Dining room was busy but service was very efficient and no delays experienced. We were with another couple and had a sharing starter starter plus a couple of garlic breads and found the portions to be very generous. Two of us had the chicken tikka on the skewer and the other two had surf and turf. Again portions were good and all elements cooked very well especially the steak which was melt in the mouth! Highly recommended

Room Tip: We were not staying in hotel and only used the restaurant but this hotel is an older style house con...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I send a very pleasant Saturday in Forfar and stayed for one night at the Chapelbank Hotel.

We had a warm welcome on arrival and found our room to be clean, spacious and well furnished.

We booked a table for dinner in the restuarant and we had an excellent meal.

The venue is very popular in Forfar as the restuarant was full during the evening ith various small functions.

The breakfast in the mornng was first class with a good selection of hot and cold food and fruits.

I would reccomend this hotel if you are in this area, we both appreciated the welcome we received and the friendliness of all the staff who were very attentive during our stay.

We hope to return for another visit.

Room Tip: Room 1 front with large Ay Winw
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed overnight in the twin room recently. Prior to our arrival the owners were very good at responding to my (numerous) emails, and staff taking telephone calls were charming and helpful. First impressions were good - neatly tended gardens, some garden benches and a large parasol. Inside it wasn't immediately clear where to go ... the tiny reception area was unattended, so we popped our heads round the door of the bistro where we were immediately greeted by a cheerful young man who quickly checked us in and showed us to our room.

I have to say, the stair area didn't smell too fresh ... the carpets are stained and showing their age, and would benefit from a revamp. The carpets in our room weren't much better, but the bed linen, towels and all other soft furnishings were spotless. There was a large wardrobe containing extra blankets, an iron and ironing board, and a quick inspection of the dressing table revealed a hairdryer. Complimentary toiletries, a trouser press, flatscreen tv, free wifi and tea/coffee making facilities were also provided. The beds were extremely comfortable and we had a sound night's sleep despite the single glazing, as our room faced over the rear of the property, with a car park and great views of Forfar beyond.

We opted for lunch in the bistro, and thoroughly enjoyed the sharing platter of spiedini, bruschetta whirls, olives, hummus, potato and tuna pate, crispy breaded courgette, with toasted bread and olive oil/balsamic for dipping. Everything was delicious, especially when washed down with a glass of Tempranillo Rosado.

The bathroom was lofty and spacious, if slightly dated, but hot water was plentiful, the shower worked well enough, and the towels were fluffy. One thing we didn't like was how it wasn't possible to lock the main door leading to the area. Although our bedroom door could be locked, the door which led to the bathroom (which was also accessible from the corridor via an unlocked connecting door) was only lockable when someone was in it.

Breakfast was ok. Fresh melon and strawberries, a few rolls, a choice of apple, orange or bottled tomato juice (with very dried-up Worcestershire sauce!), a selection of boxed cereals, yoghurts (not particularly chilled, which put me off), the usual little portions of butter, low-fat spread, jam and marmalade. It would have been nice to see some Danish pastries and, perhaps, cheese and ham on offer as well to cater for continental tastes. Toast was freshly made and brought to the table along with our pre-ordered cooked breakfast, which was not remotely oily and didn't sit heavily on the stomach. Happily, they also managed to meet my request for decaffeinated Earl Grey ... much appreciated!!!

All in all, a very comfortable stay in a nice hotel which I would recommend to others. A small lounge area for residents and new carpets would have made it even better.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the property are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Keith, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Last night I stayed. The welcome was great showed to my room and things explained. Asked I needed diner in the bistro . I did the food was great well cooked and a busy bistro it is too. All the people seem very pleased. I had coffee after real coffee may I add. The room was huge great bed iron ironing board coffee ( Nescafé not bad) show could have a bit more vroom to it but fine. Breakfast like diner great great sausages( which is a thing that many places overlook) fruit as well nice local strawberries and melon. Very nice and central.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been for a while working close by the hotel, it is a fantastic family run hotel and bistro, very clean brilliant food great location for discovering Scotland, the chef,a are fantastic and have a menu that's applicable for everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Traveling around the country on a weekly basis I get to stay in numerous hotels.
I must say by far this is one of the pleasant stays I've had....right from checking in to checking. Although I only stayed for one night, I could quite happily have stayed for a week.
Great service, lovely friendly staff, nothing was too much for them. The food was superb! Top marks. Will definitely be back again if in the area. Thankyou for a lovely stay!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Cath3089
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forfar
Airlie Arms Hotel
Guthrie Bed and Breakfast
Chris Horsburgh's B&B
Chris Horsburgh's B&B
#12 of 15 in Forfar

Been to Chapelbank House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!