“Excellent B&B and great value for money”

Balmashanner Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 16 Forfar B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We arrived late in the afternoon on day 12 of a long distance cycle tour.
Realising we would find it difficult to get back into town (in pouring rain) we were welcomed with large mugs of Mushroom soup and bread.
The room was large and very comfortable.
Some reviewers have wondered about the shared bathroom arrangements but i have to say we had no problems at all - the facilities are reflected in the vey good value for money stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This b&b is the best. Homely, welcoming, the owner rob is a great guy nothing too much trouble!. The views from the house are of beautiful scottish countryside, the rooms are very comfortable, breakfast is amzing its my first choise accomodation if working in aberdeen or dundee. Have stayed a few times and i have now started calling balmanshanner b&b my welcome retreat. If only all b & b's were like this. See you again soon.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Cute little B&B about 10 minutes drive from Forfar town. Had a lovely, peaceful stay here for 2 nights. The host Rob was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed my breakfast both mornings too. Great place to stay if you don't mind being away from town surrounded by vast farmlands. Although I was a lone female traveller and did not have my own transport, I didn't find it too challenging to get to where I needed to be. Was also lucky to not have any issues with the shared bathroom - though I have to admit I woke up pretty early to shower! Thanks Rob for all your assistance and the chats we had!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Having now stayed twice in this beautiful old house, we cant recommend it enough. First in the double room but this weekend in the Lour room which has a king-size bed. Gorgeous scenery and SO quiet which is a bonus for us parents who wanted just that. I personally don't think the shared bathroom is an issue,I've always found it clean. Robert & Marie could not give you a better welcome or a better breakfast, in your room which I loved. We will most definitely be staying again. Mr & Mrs Canning

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I visited this B & B this Wednesday 30.07.14.
The host Robert was waiting for me and was very helpful . The room was warm and comfortable and breakfast in room was a nice touch.
Shared facilities but hey it's a B & B.
I hope I will be back in the future

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Balmashanner2011, Owner at Balmashanner Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a pleasant review following your stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your room, the facilities and in particular your breakfast at the window.

We look forward to offering our hospitality to you in the near future.

Best Wishes,
Rob & Marie

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay,the Landlord couldn't be better,a lovely room with a beautiful view!!! The breakfast's were excellent.We also shared a bathroom,found it always in an immaculate state.Highly recomended,absolutely no issue's, thanks again robert and marie

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What do we expect when we stay at a Bed & Breakfast....a pleasant welcome from your Host, peaceful surroundings, lovely countryside views......hot water & heating perhaps?
Balmashanner has most of the above.
All 8 Guests, including ourselves had no hat water or heating from the time we arrived to when we left the following day. (The water was tepid at 8.30am)
Was it a boiler malfunction? No. Infact when I pointed out the fact in the morning to the owner, I was met with his surprising response of ... 'are you just here to complain'...I couldn't believe it, I was so taken aback by such an offensive remark!
He offered no apology or excuse to explain the absence of no hot water or heating, infact he became quite defensive and I was made to feel very uncomfortable.
I am not a complainer by nature but due to the owners downright rude reaction to a perfectly reasonable request from a Guest, then I will now take the opportunity to point out a few drawbacks for potential Guests at Balmashanner.
The 'double room' is a joke and is tiny, unsuitable for 2 Adults, it should be single occupancy only and it is overpriced for it's size.
If the House is fully booked you will have to share 1 bathroom with 7-8 other Guests, 1 toilet roll
provided, (these details are somewhat disguised on the Balmashammer Website)
Nice place....but our stay was ruined due to the owner's attitude towards a Guest with a valid complaint.

Room Tip: The twin room is cramped, tiny and overpriced.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank K W
Balmashanner2011, Owner at Balmashanner Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

I would not normally reply to such reviews as I feel that the members of Trip Advisor will make their own mind up whilst browsing through the pages. I feel however this customer is posting incorrect information and seems to have missed what I feel are more important points that should have been contained in the review.

Firstly, this customer messed us around with the booking as they originally made the reservation through our own online system. When we discussed the deposit needed they then attempted to downgrade their two rooms booked to one twin room. I explained that a family group were anxious to book all rooms as they were attending the function that this customer was also attending but they were not related.

A few weeks later I received a call from this customer who had decided to cancel as they had changed their mind. Obviously I was not happy as the other customers were desperate to secure rooms together and had been forced into using other accommodation some 20 miles from the venue. Thankfully when I got in touch the other group moved from the twin into the double and also reserved the single.

Just before the date of the function a booking came through one of our third party booking agents to secure the twin for one night, and surprisingll it was the original customer who cancelled but this time would be bringing two dogs but that then was adjusted to one large labrador.

Without going into more detail I summarise the following:

* The heating has never in 10 years been on throughout the night due to cost.

* All beds have high quality electric blankets (at our cost).

* In the event that there is no answer at the office door there is 24 hour mobile number clearly posted at the front door. My wife and I run this and have made the rooms self sufficient we are entitled to our own personal time this is a B&B not a Hotel.

* This is a family B&B and this is very clear on all websites that we manage and furthermore it clearly states that it is a shared bathroom and shower, customers have the option not to stay here.

* The customer received an 18% discount on their final account.

* The rooms are not overpriced as if you book on a third party site you will pay more as we have to pay commission charges and VAT, book direct saves you up to 20%.

* On inspection of their room the dog had been allowed to sleep and stand on the beds as it was full of dog hair and dirty grained in paw prints.

I am happy to take on board anything that customers raise and as can be seen from the majority of the reviews this is the case. The issue with the hot water was an error on our part for which we apologise.

You are most welcome to return here and we will offer you a 50% discount on our rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Forfar
Airlie Arms Hotel
#5 of 16 in Forfar
Kinnettles Castle
Kinnettles Castle
#2 of 16 in Forfar

Been to Balmashanner Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!