“Carry out nightmare” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Original Rupali Indian Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 52 Restaurants in Forfar
Price range: US$10 - US$50
Cuisines: Indian, European, Asian, Balti
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“Carry out nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Received a menu through my letter box this morning, thought I would try. Wish I hadn't. Had to wait an additional 20 minutes all the time listening to people sitting in the restaurant complaining about their wait. Once I had been served and got home discovered they had forgotten to put in the pakoras and a nan. Went back for them only to discover that they had again forgotten the pakoras. Once home, and started to eat, they had put in veggie rather than chicken pakoras and had got one of the curries wrong. Won't be back!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“An experience not worth repeating”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I wish I'd gone with my gut instinct. The moment I saw the exterior I had a sinking feeling, but had been assured by a friend that it was 'much better' when you got inside. It wasn't. We were the only diners there on Saturday night, which didn't bode well. There was an odd, stale smell, which could have been dampness. We were shown to the table right next to the brightly-lit bar and immediately asked to be moved as it was right next to the speakers. There was, after all, no-one else in the place.

The menu was printed in such a small typeface that it was almost impossible to see in the gloom, which probably explains why they offered us the table nearest the light. A bewildering choice of dishes prompted us to go for old favourites - chicken korma for my daughter and chicken madras for me, with poppadoms and dips to begin, followed by onion bhajis. They couldn't offer cider, or rose wine by the glass, so we ordered a bottle which came instantly (unchilled). I asked for it to be chilled so, instead of bringing a wine cooler, the bottle disappeared into the depths of the kitchen again, to re-emerge several minutes later in exactly the state in which it was originally brought to us. My daughter, meanwhile, asked for a glass of tap water. When it arrived it was warm water with ice-cubes in (filled from the wrong tap).

The poppadoms were lovely - not remotely oily - but I'd asked for a selection of any dips EXCEPT lime pickle and, of course, I got lime pickle. When I mentioned this it was snatched off the table by the very girl who had set it down in the first place, saying "I told them you didn't want that!". While we were enjoying the poppadoms and dips, the same girl attempted to clear the table to make way for the onion bhajis. These, when they arrived, were deep red, very oily and unlike any bhaji I've encountered in my life or hope to again. While we were eating them the main courses arrived, and I seriously wish they hadn't, as they were only just this side of edible. Curdled curry gravy, in which were nestling several chunks of chewy, stringy, microwaved chicken ... so chewy that my daughter mistook it for gristle. The saving grace was the peshwari naan, which was light, fluffy and quite delicious. We left all the chicken and ate just the sauce and naan. For £50 it was a rip-off. We were charged individually for each dip that accompanied the poppadoms, amounting to around £5.

Service was a joke. We were interrupted so many times that it became farcical - "More napkins? New cutlery? A different glass? A new plate? Clear your plates? Finished with that? Enjoying your meal? Ready for the next course? Want me to move that? Everything ok? You all right there? Anything else?". Yes, as a matter of fact ... please GO AWAY.

Visited June 2014
Dundee, United Kingdom
“delivery joke!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Twice we have ordered a delivery as we live out of town. First time it arrived an hour and a half late. Second time they said they could not get hold of their delivery driver and would send it in a taxi if we paid! Poor poor service.

Visited June 2014
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Delicious food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hats off to the chef for a delicious and authentic food. I went with my daughter and husband and we all enjoyed our dinner from the popadums to starter to main and the Indian desert. Im not a fan of Indian desert so normally skip this but we all got a syrup sponge in cream which wss delicious!

Even my daughter who is normally a fussy eater finished her Chicken Korma and surprisingly ahead of me and her Dad! I wish they live closer to me!

Beat of luck and we will definitely be back for more.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Grace D
Parveen B, Manager at The Original Rupali Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 December 2014
Thank you very much for your valuable comments. We appreciate your generosity and kind support. We always try to improve our food and service. Your appreciation encourage us and give us strength. We are looking forward to serve you more better service in future.

Kind Regards

Rupali Restaurant
Forfar, United Kingdom
“Has the Rupali gone backwards”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked for Valentines day/evening meal. Waitress was a 15 year old schoolgirl with not a clue, but not her fault. Waited over one hour to be served with our mains! Bad really as there was only another 3 couples in the place. Candles placed on all the tables but were not lit, shame as this was supposed to be the years most romantic night!. We also had to ask if we could have some background music as there was no atmosphere, so they put a little transistor radio on! The place has recently been taken over by 'the old management' as advertised and I had not eaten here under the old management. Sadly the food wasn't particularly good either. Can't imagine me going back to the 'Old' Rupali

• Visited February 2014