“Not quite what we expected”
Review of Kinnettles Castle

Kinnettles Castle
Ranked #1 of 14 Forfar B&B and Inns
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Not quite what we expected”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hotel is beautiful however staff shortages were very evident, an expensive evening meal certainly did not live up to our expectations. This hotel is quite remotely situated and I found that there was a distinct lack of information regarding thing to do and places to go in and around that area. As a frequent visitor to Scotland I knew of places to visit from previous visits whilst staying in Dundee if however you were a foreign first time visitor you would be at a distinct disadvantage.

Room Tip: Do not go for the two rooms which have a shared bathroom if you are just one couple.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Amazing that's the only word for it. From the friendly and helpful staff to the great food. Would highly recommend. Comfortable beds and beautiful rooms. Hopefully will return soon and enjoy another romantic get away :)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just spent my wedding anniversary here for one night.
Checking in was welcoming and we were allocated an amazing suite with bedroom , shower bathroom with lovely complimentary toiletries also our suite had an upper floor room accessed through a door and up a very windy spiral stairwell to a round room with enough sofas to accommodate a further six people...not really any need for his room but quite exciting none the less.
Our evening meal was lovely included in out travel zoo deal.
Drinks were a bit pricey but for the price we were paying for this outstanding deal in 5* luxury we didn't mind.
The staff couldn't of done enough to help and service was great, made us feel really special.
Location is so tranquil, just fantastic. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: By speaking to the other guest we were in awe of all the rooms Lots of stairs though, not good for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here sadly just for the one night. We were met and welcomed to the Castle by Marlene who checked us in and showed us to our room-which was lovely and spacious! We went down for canapés and a drink then had our dinner which was absolutely superb! Drinks were not too expensive, (we've had dearer in ordinary hotels). Breakfast was very good, as was the service. The hotel has a very homely feel to it-thanks to all staff for making it a memorable stay! Hope to go back again very soon!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank carnic_10
scotland uk
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stayed here for a local family wedding. Building is beautiful and rooms are amazing and definately live up to their 5 star billing although quite a few rooms have shared bathrooms (not a problem for us but was an issue for some) the reception was held in a marquee out the back and does not have a good access route for elderly visitors with lots of steps - granny struggled a bit! The marquee was well presented and tables looked good, no sign of cutlery having been polished though - water marks all over it. Hungry after long wedding and looking forward to having a lovely meal. The first thing to arrive was the bread roll which was so dried out and hard I could not even put a knife into it, looking round the table I saw a variety of unusual sawing techniques for getting into the bread, some made the best of it and crunched their way through and those who had soup were able to dunk it unfortunately mine was inedible. Since it was only a bread roll and it was a family wedding I did not want to create a fuss so simply did not eat it. Starter was parma ham and rocket was ok but then its not a tricky plate to produce. Main courses were all ok although everyone I spoke to thought the portions were small. A lot of work seemed to go on the presentation of the food but little in the way of quality or quantity would have rather had a hotter and more tender piece of chicken than the slightly dried out piece I got. The men who had the beef all thought the portions were stingy. Desserts were a joke. My son had chosen the cheesecake which was frozen solid and inedible, in the end i asked for his and his uncles to be taken away and replaced with a plain bowl of icecream and after the meal it seemed everyone was literally laughing about how bad the cheesecake was. The lemon tart was a butter tartlet premade base filled with lemon goo and the little bit of cream I had on my plate as a side to my dessert was dried solid so must have been plated up and left to dry out many hours before being served. Definately NOT the quality of food we were expecting. The bar prices were very high and on asking for an irn bru for my son was told they didnt serve it......at a scottish wedding in scotland!!! Poor choice of non alcoholic drinks for those non drinkers. Loos were in porta cabin outside... not great in lashing rain and folk wearing their finery! Evening sandwiches were made with cheap "smart price" type bread and filling selection was very poor - filled with cheap packet ham, and nasty cheese slices.
Once the festivities were over went to room and cooked throughout the night was a warm night and window in room couldn't be opened and radiator was on.
After a poor nights sleep we were hoping for at least a hearty breakfast but not to be outdone by the evening meal, I had to ask for the bread to be sent back when my mother in law discovered green mould on it, (on checking in the kitchen the waitress informed me that another unopened loaf was also mouldy!) the hot holding for bacon etc looked as if the food in it had been sitting for at least a couple of hours and the eggs were rubbery, the sausages overcooked and chewy and mushrooms were a slimy brown. I had a sealed yogurt and a piece of fruit just to be on the safe side! The layout of the dining room for breakfast is poor and folk had to keep squeezing into the table to let others get to the serving area. The table was not cleared regularly so some people had to sit at a dirty place setting and ask for it to be reset. I felt sorry for the staff as they had to apologise repeatedly for the poor quality although they did not seem surprised by it. Overall although the setting is lovely I was not amaZed and although we stay fairly locally I certainly wouldn't want to inflict the food on any visitors I had or on other friends or family.

Room Tip: If staying request a room with ensuite there are a few with shared facilities. Go out and eat elsewh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank c0ffeequeen
AmaZingVenues, Customer Service Manager at Kinnettles Castle, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I would like to apologise for taking time to respond to your review and that you felt that the quality and portion sizes were not to your satisfaction.

This forum is used all too often to portray negative feedback and I am sure if you had brought all of your issues to my attention during your stay they would have been resolved for you.

Your comments have been shared with the rest of the team as we very much do pride ourselves on quality, service and attention to detail.

Meanwhile I would also like to thank you for your positive comments in your review. I hope this will not deter you from visiting us again on another future occasion.

Jacqui Soutar
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Me and my boyfriend went to stay at Kinnettles recently as a present for my birthday. As a young couple we were both looking forward to getting away for a night and enjoying a nice dinner with my family.

When we first pulled up we were really impressed by the look of the castle but when at reception the lady seemed flustered and had no record of our booking for dinner which was booked two weeks previously. Our room was lovely and big, with a massive bed and beautiful fireplace. The only down side was the room was not en suite but the bathroom was lovely and as no one else was staying in the other room it was like having our own wing of the castle.

We then had a fantastic champagne afternoon tea, with Oliver looking after us. He was very attentive especially when I was bitten by a bug in the gardens and the staff went and got me insect bite cream to help. My family came up for dinner at night which again was lovely and nice that you get a couple of choices per course. The service by Oliver again was fantastic and the food excellent. If you were a fussy eater you may be stuck for choice but we all loved it. The only downside was the price. For five of us, dinner and drinks was nearly £300 which was a lot on top of the room price. It was also told to us drinks would be included in the price of the meal but it became evident this was not the case. The games room downstairs was well equipped but abandoned which made it feel uneasy and strange.

Overall I think that Kinnettles is a lovely venue and hotel, but is very much suited to the wedding and corporate market and should play to these strengths. As a hotel, it needs some work to the outside and some serious marketing to get more people in. It may be different at the weekend and is definitely not suited for the younger couples market just yet.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer S
cheshire
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Attended a delightful wedding. Lovely location and thankfully the weather was kind as the ceremony was outdoors - absolutely charming.

We didn't use the hotel much for the wedding as the actual meal and entertainment was in a marquee. Service was appallingly poor (15-20 minutes from start of a service for a course until the last table was served and huge waits in between courses), food was not as good as one would expect and the drink prices were astronomic - £5.50 for a bottle of beer (no draught), £2 for a tiny mixer.

Well staffed but so many seemed to be trainees.

Could do so much more to make it a must as a location.

Room Tip: Don't forget your wallet, and have a snack before you go as you'll wait for ages to be serve...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank StuartCheshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forfar
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Fairmont St Andrews
#3 of 17 in St Andrews
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,012 reviews
DoubleTree by Hilton Dundee

Been to Kinnettles Castle? Share your experiences!