“Better than expected”
Review of The Mill

The Mill
Reserve with OpenTable
The Mill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 56 Restaurants in Forfar
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

After reading the reviews I was a bit apprehensive about visiting! However the staff were friendly and helpful we were able to enjoy our meal outside in the sun which was decent and reasonably priced and filling. The place it's self is relaxing and quiet. The kids loved the park. The only real improvement could be home made onion rings if I was being picky and a better desert menu but overall I was pleased with the visit and would definatley return! Try not to be put off with the bad reviews!

1  Thank vikki y

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We decided to go for breakfast at Lochland's on Sunday 13th July. I checked what time it was served until online and found out it was on until 11:30am. We arrived at Lochland's at 11:20 and were asked to take a seat. Well 11:30 came and went and the couple across from us said "be prepared for a long wait" - we thought this was just idle chit chat!!
Our order was finally taken at 11:35 and we were served with tea and coffee a couple of minutes later. The restaurant was not busy and we noticed one family pay and leave. Another couple came in as we were getting our drinks and their order for breakfast was taken after the 11:30 cut off.
We waited and waited for our full breakfast and finished our drinks before 12pm, and while our breakfast was cooking another couple came in at about 10 to the hour and asked if breakfast was still being served. The waitress went and asked the Chef, she came back and said "no" so the couple left - £15 loss of takings and an unsatisfied couple!!
As we continued to wait the waitress came to our table (11:55am, 20mins after order taken) to tell us there was no bacon and would we like an extra sausage!!!! We reluctantly said "yes". The waitress then went over to the other couple and gave them the same news.
At 12:05pm the other couple asked the waitress how long their breakfast would be, so she went and checked and returned a couple of minutes later saying it would be with them soon!!
At 12:10 - now 50mins after we sat down and 35mins after our order had been taken we decided we had waited long enough and told the waitress we were not prepared to wait any longer and said that we were not satisfied like the other 3 couples who had been kept waiting or refused their breakfast. We did not pay for our drinks but felt that the service we were given justified us not paying anything towards our time spent there. If the other couple followed our stance then I would estimated that £45 was lost in sales and 3 unhappy couples left Lochland's on Sunday morning and take into consideration the 4 full breakfast's that were wasted it has been a very costly day for this business. As for the kitchen team they need to shake up what they do and if they worked for me on Sunday they would not be back on Monday as I would relieve them of their jobs.
While we were their we spotted 3 waitresses and 2 kitchen staff coming and going through the restaurant.
WORST SERVICE EVER.

6  Thank Way2go2014
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Arrived for a late lunch and decided to opt for their Afternoon tea. We received good supply of open sandwiches, salmon, assorted cheeses with chutneys and chicken. Good scones with excellent jam and cakes. All were served on a 2 tier slate cake-stand and the crockery has a quirky farmyard design. Large pot of tea which was refilled as needed. Very friendly efficient service in a pleasant cafe. There is some outdoor seating too. Just a pity that the end window is too high to see the view. Would certainly return. Good value at around £15.00 for 2. Did not need a large dinner.

1  Thank exzombaresident
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Have to admit I was a bit surprised - in a good way - by this experience! I understand the property had burned to the ground recently and was being re-built as a café / store / summer rental park. We wandered between the shops for a bit (not super-well stocked but what they had was good quality), were greeted favorably by store staff and their dogs (that's not facetious, by the way - we're dog people and they (the dogs) were very well behaved and the owners were sensitive and aware) and wandered into the smaller of two dining areas that boasted four tables.

The seating was very comfortable, staff very attentive and pleasant. The meal itself was actually one of the best I've eaten in the UK. I tried the Panko Crusted Haggis Cake - just because it sounded so awful I couldn't believe it was on the starter menu. It was fantastic! (I'm a fan of haggis -- partaken around most places it's prepared - and this easily rivaled the best.) It was moist and had a layer of fresh veg between two slices (which I guess is what made it a cake). I didn't really notice any crust as I usually expect with Panko - but I didn't miss it. The portion was large enough for four to share and was less than five quid. I had the steak pie which was very tasty and included a side of fresh veg, chips, and crushed peas. Most crushed peas I can take or leave, but these actually had flavor! Seemed as though they'd added perhaps basil and mint to the mix which really enhanced the flavor.

Others in the party had fish and chips - which were OK, from what I could see and what I was told. Portions were good sized but the fish was overdone; on the plus side it wasn't as greasy as much of the fish and chips we find in these parts. I was told the soup of the day (vegetable) was very good which was borne-out by the empty bowls. Another had the mac and cheese which was "nice." I may have had the better experience from my group, but it was a good experience indeed and I'll be back.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Three of us went for breakfast in April.
I had eggs Benedict and it was lovely and fine for me. My Fiancé had a 'full fry' - well that's what they called it!!

One bit of bacon, one sausage but sliced in half to fill the plate (which was small anyway) about 10 baked beans at most. Although cooked alright, it was a real disappointment and not good value for money at all. If your looking for a good hearty breakfast - you may have to go somewhere else.

Service friendly enough and tables clean etc.

2  Thank JillyBeanScotland

Been to The Mill? Share your experiences!