“Inattentive service, and children's meal over-cooked.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Strathmore Arms

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glamis
Strathmore Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glamis
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Inattentive service, and children's meal over-cooked.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Whilst most of the food was good, a child's meal was so over-done so as to be inedible, and this should have been apparent to both the kitchen and waiting staff. Service was unacceptably slow and inattentive. Regrettably not inclined to return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cupar, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

Visited for lunch on the 21st April. Only one staff running ragged trying to serve all of the tables. A fairly small table to try to get all the food and drink on - a jug of water and another 3 glasses would have been impossible! As a result of this it meant you were not easily impressed when the food came - it was OK but the wait had been so long. Wont be going back.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Windsor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed one night in room 1. Some noise from the laundry room next door. Bit over the top with all the shaded lighting throughout the establishment. Other than that we enjoyed our stay. We had been around the castle, and just called in on the off chance of a room. The included breakfast was excellent. Could hardly move from the table we were so content and full. The dinner we had the previous was very good. Staff were very attentive, but not overly so. And served with a smile. Would we stay again? Yes

Room Tip: Have the full cooked breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank landluver
Angus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

Having been down to Glamis castle and to their shop my wife Diane and I decided to see what the lunch was at the Strathmore Arms in the wee village of Glamis ,. We were there for just after 12 noon and other people were coming in for their meals and so know then this is a good sign as usually it is a good place to eat .

We were given the menu and we had the refeshments ( choosing non alcoholic drinks ) and the meal came and this was excellent and well presented . Then the sweat course and I the trifle and my wife had Tunnocks snowball icecream mountain and yes it too was excellent .

We will be back and will recommend the lunch and we have already told a neighbour about the excellent meal .

Sophy was the main assistant on duty and took care of our requirements , She was ideal and a very friendly and helpful person

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

Mum lives locally - I live in Los Angeles. When home we eat here often - the food is great, and the big warm fire in winter in the dining room is wonderful and so is the serivce. I do have to state that we have never stayed in the hotel since Mum lives a few miles away, so cannot comment on the accomodation. The major problem I had was that in 2009 I callled and made a last minute arrangement for Christmas Lunch since I had been told that Mum would finally be allowed out of Ninewells Hospital in time for Xmas. When I stoppped by the next day to pay the deposit for the Xmas lunch, I was told that I could not have made a reservation, that it was impossible. Lengthy and upsetting discussions with the day manager followed and it was only on my repeated insistence that I had been told by an evening manager that he confirmed the Xmas Day lunch resvervation, that I was told that they would "fit Mum and I in" but had to be there no later than 12.15pm, and that we had to be out of the dining room by 1.15pm at the latest. The staff were wonderful and dealt with mum's zimmer and slow walk and we hurried through lunch, which was the up to the usual high standard, but here's the issue - there were only five other tables occupied. When I talked with the girl at the bar, she said there were no other bookings till 2pm. so we should not have had to gulp down our food. I'm so glad family have now taken over - perhaps issues like this will not happen again. The food and friendly staff make dining here a pleasure, so hopefully there will be no more fights with managers about whether you have a reservation or not at holdiay times. If I talk to a manager and have been told that they will extend hospitality and fit us in, I expect that to happen, and not to have to argue non-stop with the day manager who insists I did not speak to anyone about the reservation. On the whole, this is a great hotel and a great base in which to discover the wonders of Angus.

• Stayed December 2009
Dundee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

Visited Glamis today with our three children . The service was excellent from the start . Consideration given to the best place for a family with three kids ... the window seat where there is enough room for the kids whilst allowing us to pen them in . Consideration again given to bring the kids meals with our starters. In previous reviewsit suggests an old fashioned feel to the hotel and the restaurant bar gave that impression....which is exactly the right atmosphere for a hotel , restaurant in Glamis ...if you understand the charm of Glamis . The restaurant had a cosy atmosphere with the real fire and very attentive staff .......excellent .....we will be back

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StrathmoreArms, Owner at Strathmore Arms, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you for your generous comments. It makes it all worthwhile!
newport
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

I was here with freinds for an overnight on our way up North and I would not stay again nor would i recommend it. Neither would they. The place was dirty and very very old fashioned. Paper hanging off the walls. And a smell in the room. The food was okay but then so is the food other places.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank mazzie50
I'm very sorry to learn of your poor experience at our establishment. I would like to take this opportunity to advise that the hotel is now operating under direct family control, and has undergone major refurbishment since the time of your visit. If the contributor of this comment would like to get in touch with me directly, I would appreciate the chance to discuss in more depth.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glamis
Lands of Loyal Hotel
Carnoustie Golf Course Hotel
Lodge at Lochside
Lodge at Lochside
#1 of 6 in Kirriemuir

Been to Strathmore Arms? Share your experiences!