“ok - but not great”

Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Scotland, United Kingdom
“ok - but not great”
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We were a little disappointed having read the rave reviews about the place.
The decor is very tasteful with good quality linens, glasses and tableware. The service was also good. It was however let down by the food, there was nothing actually wrong with it, but nothing about it that made it special. Having said that the set price (I think it was about £25 pp) was still good value for fine dining.

2 Thank Basilbig

Montrose, United Kingdom
“My first "daube" - can't wait for my second!”
Reviewed 6 January 2010

What a find in Montrose. Imaginative menu at a real value for money price. Everything was cooked to perfection. I especially loved the "daube of beef " which I'd never had before - it was delicious and just melted in the mouth. (One very small bugbear - if the wine cooler is being put out of reach can staff keep an eye on when diners require topped up.)
Will be back soon.

2 Thank mytripUK
scotland
“Superb food in a nice setting.”
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Staying at nearby hotel on a course, and had read the good reviews, so thought we'd give it a try. Now I don't know about anyone else, but fairly often you have take reviews with a keg of sodium. But, please believe me when i say that the praise is justified, I've eaten all over the world, in some "right fancy joints" and they have matched, but in no way bettered the food here, If I'm honest, the cassoulet could have done with "spicing up a notch" poss. with the addition of some nice Chorizo, but that's not damning with faint praise, just my jaded tastebuds. Venison main perfectly judged. (Swapped halfway through with she who must be nodded at occasionally) Couldn't attest to the puds, save that for next time. Can't wait for my next visit. £20 - £25 set price 2 or 3 courses superb value.

3 Thank nivs123
Scotland
“Brilliant food, service, value and ambience”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

We were fortunate to have been diners in The Quay with friends, what a find!! It was tremendous. The presentation and quality of food was awesome - compliments to the chef. The waitresses/waiter were professional and attentive without being 'in your face'. We would highly recommend The Quay, was amazing experience. Lovely atmosphere. Very clean and subtle decor which added to the ambience-lovely. Lovely greeting, lovely seating while waiting for your meal. Price was very very reasonable for the quality and service received.
Was ideal to be with friends and equally you could feel it would be initmate for a romantic meal out with your spouse.
Thank you for a great meal.

2 Thank ev0604
Isle of Skye, NW Scotland
“Superb food and good value”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

My wife and I visited The Quay in October. It was a really wet night and it was a relief to get into the restaurant. We had not booked but it was a Wednesday evening so was still quiet.

We sat in the lounge with cocktails from their good menu while deciding on dinner. A fixed 3 course meal was £22 which I though was very good value. Service was good and attentive, the food including the Monkfish was superb.

Well recommended for Montrose.

2 Thank ARealHighlander