“Needs renovation”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Montrose
cleethorpes
“Needs renovation”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Having stayed at the Park on several occasions for training courses I was again disappointed by the standard of the hotel overall, the staff are friendly but rooms are in desperate need of an overhaul.

Carpets on access corridors are poor, peeling wallpaper & 1980's decor, not a cheap hotel to stay at & Montrose is limited in choice, food is average & would look for alternate hotel in future until the place has been overhauled

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms very poor and outdated. Kettles in dangerous location.
Not enough sockets. Nice foyeur and public areas. Food really good. ( its saving grace )
Ten years ago probably top hotel snd decent value for money. Too expensive today without a major facelift.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Came up with a friend who was visiting relatives, we me them in The Park Hotel for lunch.
Firstly I had chicken goujons, too disappointing for words .. Thick batter which held in all the fat totally unappetising, I then had the Cheeseburger which had a deep gamey taste to it but not in a good way, overall the menu seemed stuck in the 1970's surprised not to see prawn cocktail on it.
Good company made up for the food but I would urge visitors to Montrose to give the Park Hotel a wide berth.

Stayed August 2014
ParkHotelMontrose, Front Office Manager at Park Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your recent visit.
I wish you had expressed your concerns at the time and we could have tried to rectify them.
We would love to welcome you back and show you the high standard we normally achieve.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were transported to Montrose during the recent foggy weather for offshore travel.
Upon arrival we were met at reception by Grace and her associate who quickly sorted out the room situation for us.
When entering the bar/restaurant we were quickly seated and served.
The food was excellent - the Cullen Skink 1 of the best I've tasted - the Chicken and Haggis was also very tasty.
The topping was Graces willingness along with the Chef to come in early (6am) and serve a full Scottish breakfast prior to our journey back to Aberdeen.
Many thanks to Grace for her excellent & professional handling of rough n tuff offshore men

Room Tip: Just ask for Grace
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Flight delay's are never that fun.
I'm glad we managed to make the situation a little more bearable for you all.
Orkney
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here while attending a course for work, the food is pretty good with a fine choice of dishes. The only thing I found a problem was that when the Hotel had tours eating in the restaurant the bar meals had to stop for a while as the kitchen was too busy for both. The breakfast choice was good with plenty healthy options if required. The room was clean and had all the usual facilities. I did however have a problem with my shower not having hot water, I did report this and was told all I had to do was let it run longer until it heated up, the following morning I had to leave shower for over ten minutes and it did eventually heat up. As I said this was a fine hotel for work but I personally wouldn't pay for it myself.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard S
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I stayed here for a week in June. The bar area and restaurant is lovely. But the rooms are a bit old, they are clean and tidy, but seem old and tired. Also, there was no plug by the table/mirror. I had to plug the kettle in behind the telly, which meant the kettle was perched in front of the telly obscuring the view... Which was quite annoying.
The food in the restaurant was amazing. The portions were huge and really really tasty. All the staff were lovely and polite and really attentive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback.
We are aware of the problems regarding electrical socket positions in the rooms and this has now been rectified.
We are delighted you enjoyed the food in the hotel - over-eating is what holidays are all about!
Anchorage
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Convenience - 4 stars; room quality (save for HVAC) 4 stars. Service, a weak 2...I guess that evens out to average.

We were greeted to used condoms and sanitary napkins in the water closet bin; looked consistent with the dark hair left in the bottom of the tub. Later, when we requested ice (we were originally offered a glass rather than a bucket from catering) we brought this to the attendant's attention. Response: Housekeeping has gone home for the evening. The bin stayed with us.

Alas, a glass shelf was coming off the wall and there was a steady drip coming from the toilet. Maintenance had gone home for the evening.

Nearing midnight, needing a top-off on ice, alas, catering had gone home for the evening.

Our meal in the property restaurant was adequate though EVERYTHING was over-cooked and we were required to wait for an 8:00p sitting since there was a large party before us. Seemed as though whether it was the meal in the evening or the breakfast the following day (again adequate, though the wait staff was pulling our table while we were still eating and appointing it for another large party lunch) the staff lacked experience and courtesy. As individuals they were pleasant enough - they simply suffered from what appeared to be a total lack of training.

On a good note, the property boasts some of the best parking in Montrose.

I'd give this property itself a 4 for the locale, but it would be a generous 1-2 for the majority of the staff. (Exception: the desk person that helped us was very efficient, attentive, and gracious, particularly given my accent. There are always exceptions to the norm...)

Room Tip: Stay off John Street if possible....
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montrose
Links Hotel
#8 of 18 in Montrose
Chapel House B&B
Chapel House B&B
#12 of 18 in Montrose

Been to Park Hotel? Share your experiences!