Argyll Arms Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
Saddell House(Saddell)
View Hotel
Gigha Hotel(Isle of Gigha)
Villa Farmhouse(Cushendun)
  • Free Internet
White Hart Hotel(Port Ellen)
View Hotel
All reviewsold buildingdecor is datedlarge roomseen better daysshower roomgood nights sleepcooked to perfectionbreakfast was excellentvalcereal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed three nights while on business in Campbeltown. Mistake. My room on the second floor was reached via dark and dingy corridors and stairways with worn and stained carpets. The room was dark and freezing cold and looked on to a derelict building with boarded up windows just a few feet away. Later that night I discovered the window was right over the door of the public bar where drinkers gathered to smoke, laugh,swear and shout at each other until the early hours. The bathroom also had no heating, lino on the floor, a 1970s avocado plastic bathroom suite and a towel that was in worse condition than one I had just ripped up for dusters the day before. The shower was impossible to use because there was no thermostatic control and water temperature was impossible to regulate. I ate in the bar each night and the food was fine. The staff were really the saving grace here - friendly, warm hardworking and efficient. Shame the owners don't invest a bit of many to raise the premises to similar standards.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the side of the building over the bar entrance
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank graninwonderland
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night on business and I would agree with other contributors. My room was clean and I had a comfortable night's sleep. I am afraid that try as I might I couldn't get much hot water the next morning. I ate in the restaurant and had a reasonable meal. The whitebait starter was very good, and the lamb shank tasty. Breakfast the next morning was fine. Service from the staff was throughout friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I think grand old lady is the best way to describe the Argyle. In the past I has obviously been grand but is now showing its age. Don't let this put you off.
We stayed here two nights while walking the Kintyre Way. The staff are very friendly, the rooms were large, comfortable with plenty of hot water and the heating problem mentioned in another review has been solved by putting electric heaters in each room which we found work fine.
We ate both nights here as the food was very good and plentiful. There is a very comfortable small bar where we ate with a good selection of beers.
Breakfast was served from 07-30 which we found worked well for us wanting to get away walking.
Yes the place is a bit jaded but good value and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Visiting Campbelltown on business booked hotel on route , arrived, checked in to be informed that heating was not working, good job it was a nice day, was only offered discount due to no heating when I asked.
Room on second floor no lift long way up.
Room fine, good shower ok for price.
Had evening meal in bar steak pie puff pastry topping very bad, side order of onion rings, clearly out of a packet poor, breakfast ok no more than that.
All in all ok if you are looking for a bed overnight and you eat elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A friend and I travelled throughout the UK and this was one of our stops to visit my Great Grandparents birth place, they have both since passed. We were served lunch by a cousin of my grandmother's it turned out , who worked as a waitress in the restaurant in the hotel. It also had a lounge where we had Saturday evening drinks with a few of the Campbeltown pipe band. They play down at the bay on Saturday evenings for a time then head up for a few pints. Paul McCartney and the Wings used the band in one of their songs "The Mull of Kintyre", my grand mother also said he was caught growing marijuana on the farm/recording studio he owned there.

The hotel and it's amenities served us well, but the most outstanding thing were the people of the hotel as well as throughout the town friendly would be an understatement. We were invited to dinners and were treated more like family, we stayed a week and didn't want to leave. Always wondered what would have come of me had I stayed. I have never had an experience like that to this day. Hats off to staff of the Argyll Arms Hotel and to the People of Campbetown. Awk Now you'd have to be daft not to enjoy your visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends