“So dated”

and 1 more site!
Argyll Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Campbeltown
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel is very dated and tatty looking! We had room 5 and although I could not fault the cleanliness in the room I did feel the shower could do with an extra scrub! The bedroom had 2 large bedside cabinets that are too big and close to the bed, my partner and I kept knocking ourselves on them as we slept.
I found the room to be noisy we think it was the pipes.
There is a little bar ( snug) that was lovely to have a drink before dinner, the lady that served us was very nice and nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was touring the Kintyre peninsula and the Argyll Arms hotel was a good location on the route. I was soaking wet when I arrived, but was made to feel welcome, and encouraged to bring my bike inside for security. The room was fine, although the view looked out over a roof and a tatty-looking building opposite. I would have eaten at the hotel, but there appeared to be a separate function in the dining room and so I was offered a meal in a small dingy bar with no windows. The hotel was charging restaurant prices, and so I declined and found a better location for my meal.
The hotel was in the centre of the town, and there was sounds of people laughing and shouting until well past midnight, and my room faced the side rather than the main street. it was Saturday night, however.
Breakfast was fine, but only began serving at 9am on Sunday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bernard K
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed three nights while on business in Campbeltown. Mistake. My room on the second floor was reached via dark and dingy corridors and stairways with worn and stained carpets. The room was dark and freezing cold and looked on to a derelict building with boarded up windows just a few feet away. Later that night I discovered the window was right over the door of the public bar where drinkers gathered to smoke, laugh,swear and shout at each other until the early hours. The bathroom also had no heating, lino on the floor, a 1970s avocado plastic bathroom suite and a towel that was in worse condition than one I had just ripped up for dusters the day before. The shower was impossible to use because there was no thermostatic control and water temperature was impossible to regulate. I ate in the bar each night and the food was fine. The staff were really the saving grace here - friendly, warm hardworking and efficient. Shame the owners don't invest a bit of many to raise the premises to similar standards.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the side of the building over the bar entrance
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank graninwonderland
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed at the hotel for one night on business and I would agree with other contributors. My room was clean and I had a comfortable night's sleep. I am afraid that try as I might I couldn't get much hot water the next morning. I ate in the restaurant and had a reasonable meal. The whitebait starter was very good, and the lamb shank tasty. Breakfast the next morning was fine. Service from the staff was throughout friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen H
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I think grand old lady is the best way to describe the Argyle. In the past I has obviously been grand but is now showing its age. Don't let this put you off.
We stayed here two nights while walking the Kintyre Way. The staff are very friendly, the rooms were large, comfortable with plenty of hot water and the heating problem mentioned in another review has been solved by putting electric heaters in each room which we found work fine.
We ate both nights here as the food was very good and plentiful. There is a very comfortable small bar where we ate with a good selection of beers.
Breakfast was served from 07-30 which we found worked well for us wanting to get away walking.
Yes the place is a bit jaded but good value and I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Visiting Campbelltown on business booked hotel on route , arrived, checked in to be informed that heating was not working, good job it was a nice day, was only offered discount due to no heating when I asked.
Room on second floor no lift long way up.
Room fine, good shower ok for price.
Had evening meal in bar steak pie puff pastry topping very bad, side order of onion rings, clearly out of a packet poor, breakfast ok no more than that.
All in all ok if you are looking for a bed overnight and you eat elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A friend and I travelled throughout the UK and this was one of our stops to visit my Great Grandparents birth place, they have both since passed. We were served lunch by a cousin of my grandmother's it turned out , who worked as a waitress in the restaurant in the hotel. It also had a lounge where we had Saturday evening drinks with a few of the Campbeltown pipe band. They play down at the bay on Saturday evenings for a time then head up for a few pints. Paul McCartney and the Wings used the band in one of their songs "The Mull of Kintyre", my grand mother also said he was caught growing marijuana on the farm/recording studio he owned there.

The hotel and it's amenities served us well, but the most outstanding thing were the people of the hotel as well as throughout the town friendly would be an understatement. We were invited to dinners and were treated more like family, we stayed a week and didn't want to leave. Always wondered what would have come of me had I stayed. I have never had an experience like that to this day. Hats off to staff of the Argyll Arms Hotel and to the People of Campbetown. Awk Now you'd have to be daft not to enjoy your visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbeltown
Best Western Kinloch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Machrihanish
Dellwood Hotel
Dellwood Hotel
#11 of 19 in Campbeltown

Been to Argyll Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!