“Excellent value for money”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #18 of 19 Campbeltown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2011

Well i don`t normally -ever- write a review for an hotel even though my job with a national power company takes me away from home regularly, laziness i suppose. However, after my stay at the historic White Hart in Campbeltown, and on hearing someone had sniped this site to write a poor review/s of their supposed stay at the WH some time ago i decided to try my hand.
Well i will say by way of starting that the fascinating Kintyre peninsula does not really boast a plethora of 5 star stay-aways, in fact you`re more likely to check out the B&B scene if you are looking for accommodation and many will take advantage of the many camp-sites or bring a campervan to `explore` the incredible geography and the hotel selection has been limited since before the war really.
First impression of the WH was open and clean and the imposing frontage screamed history (a taste of the buildings` varied architectural evolution is framed in the front bar). Second impression was the room i had which was on the second floor, HUGE and spacious with a fantastic view of the town. The room was fresh smelling, well laid out and clean. My colleagues and i met up and decided on dinner, we met up downstairs. We ordered and were pleasantly surprised by the speed of the order being taken and delivered. The portions were generous and tasty and exactly what was advertised on the menu. I had the seafood each night and was sufficiently satiated as to nearly need help up the stairs. Beer and spirits were inexpensive though i did not try the wine personally. The bar was split into several areas and we immediately thought of it as having an old world feel to it. Wednesday evening we played bingo (which you may knock) but was great entertainment with cash prizes and a friendly atmosphere. Staff were very helpful and professional and other activities were on locally if you wished to venture out. All in all i have to say i was very well treated during my week and in summary i think the hotel offered incredible value for money. If you want Haute Cuisine and a ballroom stay in London, if you want good old world charm and honest value for money in some of the wildest and most stunning scenery in the west of Scotland then don`t think twice about booking a place at the White Hart, Campbeltown but do it now as `those-that-know` may have already taken your room.
My advice, room 2 on a nice July weekend or if you fancy a bit`o crack reserve a room for the 18/19/20th of August when they have the Kintyre music festival, yes that would do it.
See you there.
Richard Davenport, Tayvallich, Argyll.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank silvermachine68

Reviewed 30 March 2011

I hesitate to knock this hotel because this is a town where getting a hotel room is always difficult, and if this place was to go would make things imposible. However I wonder what a structural survey would reveal. Owners have spent a fair amount on new furniture and some paint has been slapped around but it cannot disguise the fact that the building is crumbling. On my last stay I was given a room where the outer walls were saturated with damp and a large part of the ceiling plaster had fallen off leaving the brown crumbly stuff below . The bedside light had come loose on the wall because the wall plaster it was screwed into was soft.

This is not the first room I have had which has had structural problems, perhaps it is only the top floor that has problems. I would have gone elsewhere but I had already paid, it was late and I was tired and in fairness bed and bathroom although fittings very tired, was clean. Occupancy levels in Campbeltown have been very high for several years so there is money for cosmetic improvement as has happened here but a coat of lipstick does not cure rotten teeth in the mouth. Sadly this building is done and would be cheaper to demolish and rebuild than to try and restore. If you can get a room on the lower floors it may be alright.

The new dark green and fawn decor and brown carpet has been chosen to cover the problems but combined with the inadequate lighting makes everything look dirty even if it is not.

Food other than breakfast is OK and staff are mostly friendly and helpful but some need lessons in laundry and personal matters.

Breakfast is not a pleasant experience as a glimpse of the passageway to the kitchen ensures that all you will want is food that is still packaged.

This hotel is used a lot by workmen as it is a bit cheaper than the other hotels in the town so it does take a bit of abuse but this does not excuse the state it is getting into.

I will probably stay at the hotel again as often there is no other option available. There are a couple of places that are excellent in the town but they are treasures to keep to yourself.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank scotos
davideaton, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

This is an old building. To suggest that we should pull it down and rebuild is plainly stupid. Even supposing we did we would then have to charge so much to service the investment that no-one, not even your esteemed self, would be able to pay.
We have many guests who comment when leaving how much they have enjoyed their stay and many people who try to get here first, not just when their favourite little secret place is full.
Our rooms are clean, with TV and tea and coffee making. Always hot water and responsive friendly staff.
Yes sometimes elements of the fabric require attention but it isn't always easy to get qualified tradesmen to attend faults urgently.
So the corridor to the Kitchen put you off your breakfast? Its the same kitchen that our highly praised food comes from and recently passed a clean bill of health from our EHO. I've been behind the scenes at many hotels including Stobo Castle and Gleneagles, believe me they don't look so pretty as out in front.
Despite all your criticism you would still come to stay?
Just call me and I'll recommend a B&B.

Reviewed 25 November 2010

I resisted reviewing this hotel too harshly, as they are trying to improve.
The bedrooms have been redecorated; badly. If painting the whole room, including doors and skirting and bathroom in same emulsion is new style, I don't get it. Tired bed, dirty carpet. Old and tired and dirty bathroom.
Staff were mostly friendly and efficient, and food was reasonable. Bar staff appeared bored with life generally.
Breakfast was not a pleasant start to the day. The hotel was busy, and hadn't got enough food to go round. We had to decide if we wanted eggs or sausages or bacon as we couldn't all have any thing we wanted. SLOW service, no welcome. Asked for tea and toast twice, had to leave before I could eat it.
Check out was brisk; no "thankyou" or "did you enjoy your stay"
I was attending a meeting in the hotel, and the staff seemed unaware of the needs of meetings, and we had to organise seats, coffee, etc. ourselves. Management was unseen.
The company I was working for said they never tell anyone to stay in Campbeltown, as it is famous for being unfriendly, with poor hotels. I agree. If this is the best in town, then Machrihanish is a better option.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank braveheart1958
Reviewed 23 September 2010

stayed here twice now when i was working locally, so the fact that i went back speaks for its self.
first impression was the hotel exterior looked old but once inside i was pleasantly surprised with its clean and cosy decor.
on checking in i asked about the area as i had never been before and the staff were very helpful and informative, didnt have to ask about lunch/dinner/breakfast times as this was all explained.
the rooms are basic! i stayed in a single room with a bedside lamp that didnt work and outside of my room window was the boiler flue which had a constant hum comming from it so at night was a bit annoying but eventually got used to it.
the onsuite bathroom can only be described as a caravan toilet/shower room with barely enough room to turn around in but everything worked and was clean,
there is a kettle with the usual tea/coffee and biscuits and a small flat screen tv with 3 channels.
the bar is a typical wood beamed area with the usual drinks you would expect on sale served to you by stevie the barman.
the restaurant has two seating areas, lounge and conservatory, both are lovely to eat in.
the food is excellent with a good range to choose from and served to you by two equally lovely waitresses.
in all my stay was comfortable but if i was paying the £49.50 a night myself i would be less impressed, ok this price includes a full cooked breakfast but still think is a bit over priced for what you are getting.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2010

As a safety officer I spend most of my time in hotels and usually stay at different hotels in the area. As this visit was arranged at short notice , I booked into the White Hart, having read various reviews that indicated that it was a good place to stay. Normally I try to separate my work time from my rest periods, but in this case it was difficult. I was located on the top floor of 4 floors and was immediately concerned to notice several non compliances with fire safety regulations. The evening meal was reasonable, though completely inflexible in the menu. Not everybody likes skins on their chips, but tough, they won't give you skinless chips. The menu itself was a faded photocopy on an A4 sheet of paper - not ver professional. The biggest disappointment came at breakfast time. This is a meal that many regular travellers look forward to, but in this case, probably best avoided if you don't want your day spoiled. The full "English" breakfast (their description) was totally ruined by the clearly reheated bacon which was so dry and brittle that it rattled on the plate when moved. A fellow diner sitting opposite was trying to enjoy his scarambled eggs and bacon, but his bacon was the same and it rattled when he dumped it onto a side plate. I had to ask for toast as none was offered and was presented with two full slices of toast, uncut and already buttered, one of which was an outside slice. The cook came wandering into the restaurant and when I asked what had happened with the bacon, he shrugged his shoulders and tried to blame the management for supplying him with thin bacon that shrivels when cooked. I carry out kitchen audits and so I know I am well able to recognise reheated and dried up food. He seemed to be disinterested when I commented that it was a pretty poor standard to present to a paying guest. I will certainly not be returning in a hurry.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Macaulay069
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Nice hotel. Absolutely no complaints. I stayed in room 1 which is a family room which i had all to myself. The room was kept clean everyday and the bed was super comfy. I had a choice of 3 beds to choose from but i only used the double. THE FOOD OVERALL IN THE HOTEL IS FANTASTIC. YOU WOULD BE HARD PUSHED TO FIND BETTER ANYWHERE. The best thing i ate in the week was the RED PEPPER AND LENTIL SOUP. It was totally amazing. The problem with the soup though is the creator CHRIS TELFORD left the hotel at the end of last week so the soup will go with him. I am sure though the hotels other chefs will have good soups but this was somthing special.

So i would say to anyone going to Campbeltown to give this hotel a go.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2010

This was not my first choice of hotel especially after seeing earlier reviews. However, I have to agree with the most recent posts that a great deal of effort and money has gone into modernising this hotel. I had a room on second floor which had clearly seen recent refurbishment including bedn furniture and carpet. I noticed that from an earlier time the bedroom sink had been retained which meant there were two including that in the bathroom. I elected to eat in the restaurant and the standard of meal really was first class (three courses and two large glasses of wine came to £26). Staff in restaurant, bar and reception were very friendly. The new management certainly seem to have made a difference and I would have no hesitation in returning or recommending to friends. The only (minor) criticism is that there is no car park.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business