“Disappointing meal .... and they knew!!”
Review of Royal Burgh Cafe

Royal Burgh Cafe
Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Inveraray
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Went there twice for coffee and cake and it was fine. Decided to try them for an evening meal which all in all was very disappointing. I had the Haddock and my partner had Chicken Kiev. The chicken was so over cooked and tough it was almost impossible to cut let alone eat and the haddock looked and tasted like it had be under the warming lights for a couple of hours!!!

When the waiter asked were we happy we indicated the poor state of the chicken and he apologised and offered another dish .... but it was way too late. In the end the owner/chef(?) was so embarrassed when he say the dish he refunded the money and indicated that he should have picked it up earlier and it should have not left the kitchen!!

We don't go back after a bad experience and will not recommend them so maybe the lesson here is for them to look at their standards???

RBCmanagement, Manager at Royal Burgh Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

I was disappointed to read your review on trip advisor regarding the incident that occurred during your visit with us.

After speaking to both the waiter and Adriano, the owner that you spoke to at the time, I feel that this is an unjust response to the matter.

Firstly, there was no mention of a problem with the fish at the time. In fact, as our waiter recalls it was complimented. Adriano himself cooks the fish. We are fully aware of how quick fish deteriorates in quality after cooking and as such we NEVER precook our fish. It is always cooked to order.

With regards to the chicken kiev, when our waiter checked back on your meal and discovered the problem, he offered to have another kiev cooked for you. This offer was declined! When you were finished and the plates were returned to the kitchen, Adriano inspected what was left, and despite it being only a very small amount, the rest was eaten, he saw that it was indeed overcooked. At this point he then entered the restaurant of his own accord and put his hand on his heart and said that it should never have left the kitchen this way. He did not say that he knew it was like this and sent it anyway, which I feel is what you have implied in the title of your review. Subsequently he then, despite you having almost fully eaten the meal and also having paid for it, held his hands up, admitted the mistake of his team and gave you a refund for the dish. I can assure you that this is not normal behavior for any owner to do, and I have worked in many restaurants.

I am deeply saddened to read that despite us having remedied the problem, you felt so angered about a genuine mistake that you had to write such a scathing review. We have the utmost respect for trip advisor however this highlights how a little power in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing.

Regards

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Went in for a late dinner,place is spotless that I could see staff friendly..good menu..Wendy had steak pie,which is really steak and pork ,found that mixture bit strange ,I had scampi.good size portions,but Wendy found steak pie was a bit dry,my scampi was good,came with salad chips,coffee 2"" cost £25.50. Found this really bit expensive for standard of the food,the chip shop is combined ,so if weather had been better would just have had a take away..expect to be over the £ 20 margin.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us on trip advisor and thank you for noticing how clean the place is. It matters a lot to all of us that we are working in an environment that we can be proud of.

We are indeed affliated with the Chip Shop next door, however that is not to say that our menu is the same. The steak Pie that you had is homemade. The meat is sourced direct from Donald Russell, (www.donaldrussell.com) and is cooked in a local Fyne Ale. We use 3 different cuts of meat in the pie, some of the cuts contain less fat content and on the rare occasion that may lead to them being dry. We believe that our pricing matches the quality and quantity of what you receive, on the occassions that this doesnt happen, we hope that our customers feel comfortable enough to bring it to our attention so that we can rectify the situation for them.

I hope that if you are back in Inverary that you take the time to pop in and see us again. Please don't hesitate to ask me and I will ensure that you are taken care of.

Restaurant

Reviewed 19 September 2013

We went here for dinner at 6pm. While waiting for our friend we ordered 2 drinks from young waiter to have outside while we waited. He said he would take drinks out for us. When our guest arrived I ordered a drink from a woman, she said we couldn,t have a drink outside, I explained her colleague had already served us, at that she grudgingly complied. The food was quite nice, but place was empty so there was no atmostphere and waiter started asking if we'd like coffee even before we had 3 mouthfuls of food and seemed to be in a big hurry to get away. I could excuse this if it was 8pm, but it was barely 7pm! The reason we had chosen to eat here was they offer gluten free choice which is good but not if they don't have service to back it up, which was clearly the case!!!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our restaurant. It saddens me that you did not experience the level of service that you should have.

With regards to the service of drinks outside. This appears to be a training issue. I have addressed the matter and as such it will not happen again.

The young waiter that you mentioned has finished with us for the season, I can only guess at his reasoning for asking if you would like your coffee now. We have a large number of people that order hot drinks to go with their meal, especially if it is fish and chips as tea and coffee is complimentary. Some people take their drink intermediately, some during and some after. I can only surmise that he was trying to establish when you would like it. I am sorry if this came across as him rushing you. I can most definitely assure you that this is not the case. At this time of year our restaurant is open till at least 8.30pm regardless of whether there is 10 customers or no customers. It is inconceivable that he should have been wanting to leave early.

Once again I am truly sorry that you experienced this hiccup. I hope that you could take the time to revisit us should you ever be in Inveraray again.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Sadly, I was only in Inverary for a few days and ate here the night before we left - otherwise I would probably have eaten there every evening. The service was excellent, the decor attractive and the food sublime! My salmon linguini dish practically convinced me that I was in Sicily!!!! A 'must visit' for foodies.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a lovely review for the Royal Burgh Cafe. I am so glad to read that you had an enjoyable experience with us.

Adriano and his kitchen team carefully source the ingredients and the recipes to give you an authentic taste of italy. The Smoked Salmon Linguine is a delightful fusion of Italian technique and the finest of smoked salmons scotland has to offer.

Our interior has been handcrafted by a bespoke carpenter using Canadian Maple Wood and is finished to the highest standard.

The front of house team work their hardest to ensure that each and every customer has the best experience that we can offer. I am happy to see that you found this to be excellent and I will pass all your comments on to the staff.

Once again thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Popped into the Royal Burgh Cafe for a coffee and even though it was extremely busy, we were seated in no time at all and enjoyed the latte and forest gateau. Wee gem of a café

RBCmanagement, Manager at Royal Burgh Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you so very much for your lovely review on our restaurant.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Our coffee is a specially selected blend, which is roasted and imported from Italy. All our staff are trained on how to get the very best from each and every shot they pour.

We do a large selection of homemade delights and the forest fruits mille feuille gateau is one of the favourites of staff and customers alike.

I hope to see you again sometime in the future.