“Autum Break”

Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Inveraray
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The first bedroom we were shown to had an awful damp smell. I went to reception and got another bedroom which was much better. Food in hotel was excellent and we really enjoyed the leisure facilities, especially the outdoor hot tub. Inveraray is a lovely place to visit and I would thoroughly recommend the George Hotel for food and a good bar.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,557)

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Booked last minute package deal consisting of two nights stay for my husband and myself with dinner and B &B. Also included was three half hour spa treatments each. We found the staff in both the hotel and spa very pleasant and helpful, particularly the two girls who did the spa treatments. The spa was in a newer part of the hotel and the pool area was very nice. The Jacuzzi was particularly enjoyable as it was set at a pleasantly warm temperature.
What does let this hotel down very much is its décor and general condition. Our room was is the original part of the building and although it was clean, it was quite small and very basic. The décor was tired and dated. The window had permanent condensation. Lighting very poor, made reading difficult. The bathroom was very basic with lino floor covering although there was work in progress in some of the rooms in the corridor which looked as if the bathroom floors were being tiled. The tired shabby look was evident throughout the hotel, including dining and bar area and it rather felt like a 1970's time warp. A great deal of modernisation and TLC required!

1  Thank Alison Y
Reviewed 15 November 2013

A group of our family - 32 in total, enjoyed a fabulous couple of days at this hotel. Despite changing our plans at the last minute, causing considerable inconvenience to the hotel, Marc and his staff treated us with care, consideration and with the utmost respect. Not one of our group had a bad word to say about the food or service. Most have said they will return for a leisurely break, we are already booked. Some of the bedrooms need a bit of TLC but are adequate for a break, being comfortable and warm. We are looking forward to our 3-day break in December.

Room Tip: Only a few rooms have a loch view, so book early. If you are not lucky enough to get a loch view, ju...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ewenmac
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Date night again, and off we went to Inveraray, and more specifically Loch Fyne Hotel and Spa. We stayed over on a sat night and it was lovely. The room itself was well equipped, the bed was the best part of the room as it was just perfect. The room was clean and haf all the usual mod cons.

We had the six taster menu for dinner and it was scrumptious! You basically get your usual three full sized courses and the other three are quite small but great in taste. The chef obviously has done his homework. It was lovely: Just the right amount.

The breakfast was equally nice but would have preferred a Buffett style breakfast. But I'm just being fussy.

Great hotel. Lovely staff. Well worth the visit - and the views are to die for!

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of a lovely evening here. Was cold and windy outside but lovely and warm inside with a cozy fire in reception( think there was a queue to sit here) . Lucky to have stayed in a suite which was just amazing, 4 poster, big bay window overlooking the loch, shower with separate roll top bath, absolute heaven after a long drive. Had a drink in the bar which was so relaxing,,served by a lovely young man. Dinner was an experience from start to finish, VERY attentive staff , nothing too much trouble, the restaurant was fairly busy and I normally have a favourite member of staff but they were all so nice, The meal was so different, little tasters in between courses, each one just delicious. Breakfast was perfect too. Eggs n soldiers, my favourite and didn't they get it just right !!!! Great sleep too...I didn't use the spa facilities unfortunately but will make a point next time which I hope is not too far away. I got married in inveraray so the place means so much to me and I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are lucky enough to come to inveraray. The whole area is great and the jail is worth a visit too.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My family and I stayed at the Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa for a night, there was 10 of us staying for a 60th Birthday.

Accommodation
The rooms in the hotel are fairly basic, but vey clean and well maintained. The lounge areas are nice with a very Scottish feel exactly what you would expect from a Scottish hotel like this, the lounge areas perfect for sitting with a drink looking out to the spectacular view.

I did not make use of the leisure facilities so I cannot make judgement or comment on them, however the pool area looked lovely, my husband and my son really enjoying going for a swim before check out and complimented these facilities

This is the area of this hotel that has ensured that none of our party would pay to return to this hotel. the majority of the food itself was great quality produce that was cooked to a high standard and could not be faulted, however the soda bread that was served with the chowder main course was inedible, this in itself was not the problem as it would be easy for the chef to have a bad batch of freshly baked bread. The problem fell with how the waiting staff dealt with this, after sending the soda bread back to the kitchen, the manager of the waiting staff came to our table and said all the soda bread is made like that, this was said in a very cutting manor, with the majority of us at the table being Irish we knew exactly what soda bread should be like and that was NOT it. During the meal there was no check backs to see how the food was, we had to ask the staff to remove the glassware that was not being used to be taken away as we had children at the table and accidents can happen easily, this seemed like a chore for the server, tutting and blowing.

Then came the most ridiculous appalling service I have ever experienced, at the beginning of the meal it was clarified that the bill for dinner would not be added to a room, the balance would be paid at the end of the meal, the servers were quite happy with this and were completely aware of this. At the end of the meal we asked for our bill, the server then proceeded to look at us as if we had fell from Mars, we explained that we wanted to see our bill as ensure that everything on it was correct and also to calculate what we each owed to it. We waited 10 minutes for the server to come back to us and said we should pay the bill at the bar without bringing a copy of the bill with her, we explained again that we wished to see the bill before paying, away she went again we waited another 20 minutes until a member of our group went to ask the manager for the bill, he replied saying pay at the bar, I don't know what part of these staff did not understand we wanted to actually see what we were paying for before payment was made, we eventually got a handwritten bill handed to us. All monies worked out we went to the bar to pay the bill only to be told that we haven't to pay at the bar after all as the don't have a card reader to go to reception, tried to leave a tip on the card even after the poor poor service, only to be told that you cant leave card tips, the staff don't get tips. I am not surprised that you receive awful service if this is managements attitudes.

I wish this was a good review as all other aspects of the hotel are lovely

I will certainly not be back

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maris85
GM-LochFyneHotel, General Manager at Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Maris85, Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, Guest feedback is vital to help us achieve and exceed our guest expectations, I am very sorry that we failed on this occasion. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced , it is very clear that we got things wrong and please rest assured the relevant retraining and guidance will be given to the team where required.
This has highlighted an area that we need to develop further and please have no doubt that we will. Thank you again, and I do hope that you will allow me the opportunity to correct our mistakes in the near future.
Kind regards
Marc Gardner

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Just returned from a two night break and it was well worth the 8 hour drive. The stay was a romantic getaway birthday gift and we were welcomed with a bottle of champagne and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers in our room. The location of the hotel is excellent with stunning views over the Loch. I had a 90 minute spa treatment which was wonderful and excellent value for money. The barman, Javier, was fantastic. In fact the service we received throughout our stay was excellent nothing was too much trouble. What surprised us the most was the taster menu, which was superb and again, great value for money. The breakfasts were also great. It is a very relaxing hotel and run so smoothly. We will definitely be visiting again, hopefully for a longer visit.

2  Thank Christine H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inveraray
The Inveraray Inn
#3 of 6 in Arrochar
The Creggans Inn
The Creggans Inn
#1 of 1 in Strachur

Been to Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!