“Fyne night at hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fyne night at hotel”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed a relaxing stay at the hotel and made good use of the pool and spa facilities, the heavy rain not deterring us from soaking in the outdoor hot tub.

A pretty cool feature to have in this period building that mixes old with new. The modern side of the building looks pretty good, but for our stay however, we were in the slightly dated (interior that is) older rooms. Full of character, if a little run down for the price.

The wonky sloping floor boards along the hall way fooling me into thinking I had already had a few pints from the downstairs bar. Of which was actually a nice place to sit with a drink and if it hadn't been for the mist, our views over the Loch would have been fantastic. The hotel is in a great location and best of all was the restaurant food. Outstanding.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A short but pleasant stay at this hotel. Well appointed with great views to the front of the hotel. What a shame we had a view of the back of the hotel. This was our first of 5 hotels in 5 days around Scotland. Good facilities but was surprised at the lack of a friendly greeting or departure.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank gzh13
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My sister and I decided to take advantage of one of the deals offered at the hotel. We chose dinner and a spa treatment priced at £75 per person. For this we got a twin room, one 30 minute spa treatment of our choice, 6 course taster meal and a full breakfast the next morning.

Check in was easy and the front desk staff were friendly. Our room was on the 2nd floor and overlooked the parking lot ! not the best of views but certainly not the worst I have experienced. The room was certainly big enough for both of us. The rooms don't have air conditioning but thankfully the window opens quite a bit to allow a bit of a breeze, although this might be a problem if you have small children! The room is a little dated but it is clean and tidy and the bed was comfy.

We did go to the pool area and were lucky it was nice and quiet. The loungers inside the pool area overlooking the loch are a nice touch and we did take advantage of them and relaxed between swims. We also spent some time in the hot tub which is located just outside the pool and next to the spa. We used it before breakfast and we had it to ourselves.

The spa itself is very nice. My treatment was fine and the staff were lovely. The only thing I didn't like was the lounge area while waiting for treatment. The seats really could use a good clean and the used dirty water glasses were everywhere. Also with the hot tub located right outside this area it can be quite noisy with everyone chatting.

We made a reservation for dinner and requested a table at the window. When we arrived we were told there were none available. Why bother reserving!!! We did address this but to no avail. This did not spoil our dinner however, the food was delicious and by the end of the 6th course I was pretty full.

We returned for breakfast the next morning and again the food was plentiful. You can choose from the set menu as well as partaking in the European style buffet, cereals, porridge, fruit etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Loch
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at many places in Scotland, ranging from our tent to adorable B&Bs, luxury B&Bs, charming hotels, a luxury lodge and... at the bottom of the list... this place. First of all, the hotel was sweltering hot. It's Scotland for goodness sake - the weather was nice, but it was warmer and sunnier on other days and nowhere else we stayed was unbearable the way this place was. Secondly, around 1:45am a very loud groud of women were running up and down the hallways pounding on doors, shouting, etc. We figured they were coming back from somewhere and would settle in. We gave it a good 30 minutes before calling down to the front desk. The man who answered the phone said not to worry about the noise, that he would handle it. He also mumbled somthing unintelligable about the heat when we asked him if anything could be done. About 10 minutes later the women quieted for all of 30 seconds, and then began their antics again. Not that it mattered all that much, as we couldn't have fallen to sleep since our room was a sauna (even with the window as wide open as it could go from the time we checked in until we checked out).

The staff was cold and abraisive on check in, and didn't even bother to ask how our stay was on check out (we would have happily told them if they had!). We skipped breakfast and moved on to our next place as soon as we could in the morning just to be done with the place, so we can't comment on their breakfasts.

Finally, if you do stay here, book a room on a budget website. Their prices listed for the rooms at the front desk are 60-70% higher than the rates you can book online. But honestly, I'd skip this place altogether. It's not a place we will return to, which is a shame considering it's in such a lovely location.

5 Thank WorldsRoyster
Ayrshire
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went at the weekend for afternoon tea with prosecco with friends through an 'It Is On' deal and was bit disappointed. Wouldn't have liked to pay £30 a couple (we paid £15). Sandwiches were tasty, but the cakes didn't taste fresh (scones stale) and the choice was limited on our tray. Prosecco was nice, but we had to go and ask for our teas as waiter never brought them out. He, however, was very approachable and friendly.
Main reception area looked nicely decorated, felt toilets could do with updating, however, were spotlessly clean. It sits in a beautiful part of Argyll and could do better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claire B
GM-LochFyneHotel, General Manager at Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you have raised with regards to your afternoon Tea with us. I am very disappointed to read that you felt the scones and cakes were not enjoyable. I do wish that you had said something at the time and this would have been rectified immediately. I will of course raise this issue with our head chef. I do hope that you will allow me the opportunity to correct our mistake in the near future.
Kind regards
Marc Gardner
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Spent a few nights here on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. After looking at the other reviews I expected the rooms not to be as good as they were. Although we looked over the garden (not much of a view) and had a rather smallish window the room was extremely comfortable with a nice bathroom. The furniture is a little tired but like many hotels, they seem to redecorate the common rooms like the bar, dining room etc and forget about the bedrooms. TV in the bedroom was tiny and I would recommend they invest in bigger TV's and mount them on the wall. However saying that not everyone is interested in TV in the rooms.

The location is good about a 10 minute walk into the town centre and right next door to a good 9 hole golf course.

The food was OK and the included meal was a 6 course tasting menu. A few quibbles about the food. A couple of the fish dishes we had were very overcooked and under seasoned. The service in the restaurant/bar was excellent - well trained staff who could not do enough for you. A special thumbs up to the barman who was really good.

Spa was busy but great hot tub and indoor pool. Not enough seating in the indoor section though.

Will be back to this one.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the car park and either go for a garden view room OR a loch view. The loch...
Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having decided to fork out over £200 for one night stay at this hotel to enjoy a relaxing treat to carry the Queens baton the next day...I was very disappointed.

Having been excited all week about the weekend, I arrived to a very poor welcome. I knew more about my booking than the staff and it was an instant negative experience.

I took advantage of booking myself a spa treatment with my hotel booking. This turned out to be a big mistake.

After feeling organised and looking forward to my spa treatment the staff turned around to inform me I had to book my appointment myself prior to arrival. Sorry but when you go through the process to book the treatment through the hotel I would expect the hotel to keep a 30 minute slot available for me. I had also spoke to a female member of staff on the phone to confirm my booking and she failed to inform me of my procedure to book my spa treatment.

After the disappointing welcome and lack of staff help I had to chase up any available slots for my already paid spa treatment...9am on a Sunday morning, not what I had planned. Not the most relaxing afternoon I had in mind.

The double room was very dated, the TV reception and channel options were very poor, my remote had a lovely piece of duck tape holding the batteries in and the décor is very dated. Apart from that, the bed was very comfortable, the shower was powerful and the wifi was successful.

I was impressed with the pool, sauna, hot tub facilities etc. Although many visitors staying in the hotel that day were discussing how the pool should have more chairs available to sit at.

Changing facilities very tight, not the cleanest and toilet seats loose....

I will not be rushing back and I will not be informing anyone of the high standards expected from paying over £200 per night.

Very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Rhona M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inveraray
Oban Bay Hotel
The Creggans Inn
#1 of 1 in Strachur
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Knockderry House Hotel

Been to Loch Fyne Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!