“Great for kids old and young”
Review of Inveraray Jail

Inveraray Jail Entrance Ticket
Ranked #3 of 18 things to do in Inveraray
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Step back almost two centuries and discover the stories of the real men, women and children who were tried and served their sentences in this prison. Visit the Courtroom; explore the Cells in the Old and New Prisons; try out the wooden beds and hammocks; sample the punishments; experience the Whipping Table; take your turn at the Crank Wheel. Meet the Warder and Prisoners and get locked up in the Airing Yards. Listen to dramatic true tales from the characters in the Jail’s past brought to life with our FREE interactive audio guides. Available in six languages.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Very informative and entertaining.Without giving anything away, there are a few surprises in store. Great for kids old and young

Write a ReviewReviews (1,234)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We visited last Saturday 16/8. Myself and four kids. Staff were lovely except the grumpy older woman who was on the front desk at approx 2pm. A younger girl welcomed us and explained to kids what they had to find to complete and gain a certificate. When we arrived back and they were waiting patiently to show her their complete tasks, she bellowed at me to move them as they were in the way. I explained what they were waiting for and she was very dismissive.
A German tourist was waiting for his wife in the entrance and was also told to move out the way.
All other staff were lovely.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Inveraray Jail is a fun, interesting place to spend an afternoon. Both our children and the adults were surprised by the range of ages of prisoners and the punishments meted out to them. The contrast between the conditions in the older part of the jail and the new tells it's own story of how we have developed as human beings and how we treat each other. It takes around 2 hours to have a good look around and try the thumbscrews and talk to the people who are garbed in contemporary clothes. It would have been the top score but the courtroom is badly in need of an overhaul.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Very interesting for our grandchildren aged 6 and 9,who had no idea that kids as young as 7 used to be put in prison.or that conditions used to be so grim.The adults had been before,and the exhibits havent changed for a few years so perhaps its time for a refurbishment....the court scene in particular is looking very shabby

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I visited the small but quaint Inveraray recently with a friend on week day in August 2014 ....I had been once been before when I visited the jail ...So we just looked around the shop attached and around the small village..It was just under £10 to go around the Jail we didn't find out till later that coach trips get in cheaper.... ( Thanks Steve(National Coaches Ya numpty.... ya might have reminded us! ) .....We took some pictures by the monument which is beautifully kept and had lovely flowerbeds...We walked through the village visited the museum & the church and looked in the shops ..So many for such a small place... but I understand that for many its their livelihood so didn't cringe too much at the very apparent commercialization. My friend was looking for a kilt but having been spoil t by the one she saw at Gretna and decided & intended to buy one when we dropped in again on the return trip home ....How ever.......The lovely little shop near the car park where the Piper plays and the Coaches park up soon made her change her mind...A lovely place with such allot to look in the different areas of the shop it even had a cafe and toilets which was good to know ideal as it keeps the would be customers close to hand.

Iveraray was a very clean neat place very friendly and busy the day we visited....I thought it was nice to see someone took the time to stop and enjoy the Piper who added an ere of tradition for visitors from afar though ...I do feel the visitors should throw him a tip more then they do .... They are not too shy too ask him to pose with them so they should be too shy or mean to tip him after all .....He is enhancing their visit just by taking the time to be there and entertain them... and pose with them... It is after all polite to show gratitude though it is voluntary.

It rained allot that ....I did buy a brolly... and guess what true to form it stops...onya go... if only control of the weather could take so little... The Castle will have to be the next visit no time to do that in on one trip and it wasnt included on this one......The Views of the Sea & Landscape were breathtaking.....I shall return again one day ...no doubt..... I love Scotland.

There is so much of Scotland to see cant imagine why we travel abroad when I am here....despite weather being cold wet and overcast it was still very enjoyable .

1  Thank KAMICARIAD