“Friendly central hotel”
Review of Kelvin Hotel

Kelvin Hotel
Ranked #67 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stopped here for 2 nights and found the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout, the room well-sized, airy, and pleasantly furnished. Room and en-suite all clean and neat. Plenty of tea and coffee supplies, towels etc. Bed comfortable and the quiet road ensured a mostly peaceful night. Easy walking distance from town made it handy for enjoying the shops, restaurants and promenade. The breakfasts were cooked well, with good hearty portions, and the buffet offering was a brilliant idea for anyone needing to have toast, coffee and cereal before the official opening time. Used the free wifi with no hitches too. Found there were plenty of places to park on street or in the unattended carpark nearby, although the staff were reluctant to confirm whether anyone showed up at weekends to check cars etc, and this was probably hit and miss. Appreciated having a good TV/DVD player in the room as well. Compared with other prices online, this seemed very good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Sheena (the owner) is the perfect example of Scottish hospitality, Friendly, inviting, accomadating, and very funny. Within a few moments myself and my father felt like we were staying with old friends rather then in a hotel. The rooms were clean, price was very reasonable, location is perfect if you are getting the ferry and breakfast was perfect. Myslef and my father spent 12 days travelling around Scotland and our night in The Kelvin was an absolute highlight of the whole trip. Thanks S-Dogg!!! I hope I get a chance to meet you again and if I do it would be Electric!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Well located for the ferry terminal. A very 'tired' hotel -e.g. threadbare carpets on the stairs. Very plain rooms although clean. Breakfast was very average. Another guest requested his egg to be poached or scrambled, rather than fried, but this apparently was not possible.

Staff were pleasant, however. Overall though, overpriced in my opinion,for the quality on offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2013

stayed here on way home from a festivel! staff couldnt be friendlier! very reasonable room price aswell! no complaints atoll! great location aswell 2 minute walk from shops,bars etc would deffinately reccomend this place to stay if in oban!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Staff very nice breakfast good. Our room facing the railway and ferry terminal so we heard the ferry early in morning. Room was clean bed was good. free wi-fi. Room was up two flights that might not be suitable for some. No car park but car park opposite is £5 for a day.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel was awful,the room was very poor the bathroom was discusting with leaking shower,no toilet roll holder.the room was no better with no wardroe door & 3 coathangers for 2 people for 4 days & no hairdryer.I wanted to leave after day one.On leaving we were not asked if we ejoyed our stay.We will never be back to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ruth p
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I booked an overnight stay back in March and understood I had booked a single room. On arrival I checked in at the bar and was allocated an attic, twin bedded room. I was told my room was to be found up two flights of stairs - no lift and no offer of help with luggage (I am a woman in my late 60's). The room was rather dilapidated - stains on carpet, lots of stains and marks on the walls, broken bathroom tiles, broken wood at side of bath, broken window handle, big gap between window pane and window frame in small bathroom window, windows that wouldn't open, very thin walls (the sound of people going to the toilet in the night was so loud it woke me up) and the painted wooden window frames were peeling and very grimy. I was told that breakfast the next day (Sunday) was served until 10am but at 9.20 the next morning a member of staff was knocking on my door to ask when I was coming down to breakfast. I think this is unacceptable but, I think, even more unacceptable was being told that I had to settle the bill for the room on the day of arrival, not the next morning like everywhere else I've ever stayed.
On the plus side though, check in at the bar was through a pleasant staff member, the bath, basin and toilet were clean, the bed was clean and comfortable, there was a hairdryer, television and tea and coffee making facilities and the breakfast was alright too. On the whole, my stay at the Kelvin Hotel, was not a pleasant one and was definitely not good value for money. During my holiday in Scotland I stayed at two other hotels/b and b's that were both very clean, warm, comfortable, immaculately presented and with staff that were friendly and helpful and were available all day and evening - they both charged less than the Kelvin Hotel. I wouldn't consider going back there and couldn't recommend it to anyone either

Room Tip: Rooms at the front probably have a more interesting view.