“Promises, promises......”

Dining options: Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Oban, United Kingdom
“Promises, promises......”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Please note that the Pancake Place is now called Palava. The original restaurant closed and was refurbished, and my understanding is that some of the original staff took over the running of the new Palava. They promised new and better....
We did not think much of the original Pancake Place, but thought that we would give Palava a try at lunchtime. The first time we tried we couldn't get a table, which we took to be a good sign. A couple of weeks later we tried again and there were plenty of tables. I ordered a panini and my wife ordered a brown bread cheese sandwich. The waitress was surprised, almost incredulous, that we didn't want chips with our sandwiches! My panini turned out to be a white baguette, (I know that panini means bread, but in the UK we understand a particular kind of roll and not a baguette), though the filling, bacon and cheese, was plentiful. My wife's sandwich was made with the cheapest kind of wholemeal bread which we feed to the birds, and the cheese filling was almost non-existent. When she complained the reply was that nobody else had complained about their sandwiches! The cappuccino coffees tasted only of hot milk, no coffee taste at all. So I'm sorry but there seems to be little change from the original Pancake Place, and we will passing by in future, to one of the much better coffee shops a short walk away.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Willy451

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Awful service , never again.”
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We were over in Oban for a quick visit shopping and thought we would stop here for a quick lunch, it looked quite busy and we waited to be seated for 10 minutes which was fine, after waiting another 20 minutes we finally got severed , my friend and I both ordered nachos, we waited a further 25 minutes for this to arrive , the sauce was luke warm and the nachos were soggy, not wanting to create a scene as we had been there almost an hour already we ate them and tried for another 15 minutes to attract attention of a staff member , finally we ordered ice cream ( by this time we had been here an hour and a half and only had 2 plates of nachos not a lot to ask) after waiting again I had to go to the counter to ask where our ice cream was and I got a dull reply " oh ill go get it " finally served we came to pay, I told the man at the till how disappointed I was with the lack of service and how we had been here two hours and only had 2 nachos and 2 ice creams , he shrugged and proceeded to charge me full price £21 (very expensive for what we had!)

I have been here serval times over the years but I am very very dissappointed with the lack of service in this place and I will not be returning.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Shauna M
Welling, United Kingdom
“Good food at decent price”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Went here a couple of times whilst on a holiday just outside Oban and really liked it here. I had a jacket potato one day and it was huge, with plenty of toppings. And when we ordered the pancakes, we couldn't finish them they were so huge! The decor could do with being updated a bit, but overall had a nice experience and if ever in Oban again I would go here.

• Visited February 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“pancakes were delicious and good value”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

There seems to be very mixed reviews about this place, glad I didn't need to use the toilets if they are so many flights up. The staff were average, the decor is very 70s and tired, obviously not meant to be a restaurant. But the pancakes were huge and the sauce tasty and the fruit plentiful. We had spoon size pancakes with apple and toffee sauce. Spoonsize - I though table spoon sized, may be 2 or 3, but we got 2 pancakes about 4" across with lots of apple slices, flooded with sauce and cream too.

• Visited November 2012
Boston
“Quirky atmosphere, fair service, average food”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My son and I ate lunch here and while it wasn't terrible it left a lot to be desired. The space occupied by the restaurant is quirky and clearly not designed for its present use. An example-- the toilets were not one, two but three flights of steps up from where I sat. I thought they might be on the roof!
Service was fairly slow, I think due to understaffing rather than to servers not working hard.
We had typical lunch fare and it was bland and not memorable.
It did look like the pancakes and desserts were pretty rich and more interesting so likely this is the only reason to go here.

• Visited October 2012