“Easter Break”
Review of The Woodside Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oban
The Woodside Hotel
Ranked #73 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights over Easter weekend. We booked very last minute after struggling to get any realistically priced accomodation in Oban. Some "hotels" in Oban really are having a laugh. I have visited Oban every year since 1978 and last stayed in the Woodside 25yrs ago.
The rooms are very clean with lovely bedding and very comfy beds. Lovely breakfast served in the very nice new bar extension . This hotel is very good value for money and is just around the corner from the main street. The only negative is that the small but very popular pub can be a bit noisy. We didnt eat in the new Creel bar but the menu looked good and reasonably priced with a kids menu. Would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Having just recently been travelling through Oban and without accommodation I stumbled across The Woodside Hotel. It had only just re-opened the day before under new owners. I found the place extremely warm and inviting, a very pleasant gentleman greeted us and could not have been nicer in organising a room at such short notice. Our visit was un-expected due to my work but it was very worthwhile. Our room was immacculate, spacious and very clean. It was clear that a lot of work had gone into getting the room just right. There was a small bar in which my wife and I ended up staying in the whole night. The banter was fantastic with very good staff to match. I work in hospitality myself and I wouldn't mind getting the staffs numbers!! LOL. Our night was peaceful in our comfortable room and bed and our stay was rounded off by a brilliant breakfast served by the owner Mary. She spoke to us as if we had known each other for years. I have already booked to return for a longer stay next month and I only wish that all hotels I end up in are as top dollar as this one. Many thanks guys, best wishes and see you again soon.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chris Y
tartenterror3, Owner at The Woodside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2012

Can I say how much a pleasure it was reading your review, we have had a mountain to climb to get the hotel to where it is now and your comments make both myself and my wife and especially our wonderful staff feel all the hard work and Refurbishment is paying dividends. Thank you so much

Allan and Mary Mckie

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Great place for a wee break - it had just re-opened under new managment the day we arrived we were met by a friendly gentleman( I think it was the new owner) at the reception & explained they were just re-opening that day. We checkin for 1 night & ended up staying 3 nights. Our room was very clean & comfortable & serviced each day to a high standard. The staff were friendly we had a few drinks in the snug bar great selection of malt whiskies the young man behind the bar was very pleasant. A good Scottish breakfast was served each day by Mary who was helpful & able to recommend different places to visit.There was good parking beside the hotel with an easy walk to the shops & sea front. I would definitely recommend the Woodside Hotel to others we have already booked for our return visit & experience there new beer garden & scottish bar.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank David M

Thank you so much for your kind words, we have spent a lot of time and money in getting The Woodside Hotel to where we want it, We have refurbished both our bar and all Bedrooms and for you to respond the way you have makes us feel as if all our (and I mean all my superb Staff in that also) work is starting to pay dividends. Once again thank you

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I recently stayed the night here on a short business trip and i can honestly say its among the worst I've ever stayed in! Right from the first moment i went to the door i realized i had booked in to a dive! The first thing i was met with was foul language from several very drunk and rough looking people in the public bar right next to the reception followed by a cool reception from the "hostess". The room was right at the top of a very dangerous feeling stairs and they have a very obvious damp problem going by the stains and peeling paint. The room itself was small and and it was a job to get into the bathroom with the tiny angular door. The shower curtain was so wrinkled and old looking i quickly opted for not having a shower after all.There were also what looked like two old vomit stains on the carpet floor which is never a good look! The bed was clean and comfortable enough but the surroundings and decor poor and dated.
The next morning i had breakfast in the bar area and was amazed to be confronted with a large poster of a woman's bottom staring back at me across the room! talk about clueless! I would feel sorry for a family with children staying there and having to see that over their coco pops! The breakfast was also a let down- the portion size was good but the quality obviously lacking- dripping with grease and very unappetizing. The coffee was also one of the poorest i have had and after eating one sausage opted to leave the rest, check out and go to a cafe to get a decent cup of coffee! All in all then a rather damning report but all true i'm afraid. The management of this place need to make up their mind if they want to invest in this place and its guests or keep is as a dingy alcoholics drinking den!! STAY AWAY!!!!

Room Tip: no tips as i imagine they are all dire!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Yvonne M
tartenterror3, Owner at The Woodside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

The Hotel is now under new ownership as of 1st March 2012 both my wife and myself have and are spending a considerable amount of money refurbishing the Hotels Bars and Rooms, and so far the response has been very positive albeit this has not yet made it on to TripAdvisor but we are hopeful and confident that you will soon see positive comments for what we are trying to achieve.

Reviewed 10 August 2011

Our trip to Oban was very last minute so we had no accommodation booked. We found the Woodside Hotel quite by accident, its up a side road just off the main street.

The room was on the top floor. It was very clean as were the beds and bedding, the shower was a little cramped but luckily neither of us very tall. The breakfast was excellent and served by a very pleasant waitress.

This hotel is a popular local night spot at weekends and there was a live band on the night we stayed there, we saw this as a bonus but I understand it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. We found the locals and all the staff to be friendly and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The staircase to the top floor rooms wouldn't be suitable for anyone with mobility problems.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in the top floor rooms. There was a double bed and a single bed. While the hotel was clean, it could use some additional work. Since we stayed on the top floor, the ceilings were sloping. On the slant, there were several places that had been patched up, but not painted over. The location was convienent. Breakfast was included in the price and it was a full Scottish breakfast with bacon, blood pudding, beef patties, eggs, bread, beans, cereal, yogurt, coffee, juice, and milk.

The receptionist (potentially owner??) was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is a pub not really a hotel. There was loud music till late. I stayed in a single room. It was very cramped especially the bathroom. Decoration was poor with peeling paper on the ceiling. It definitely needs an upgrade. The tv didn't work and it was so high up on the wall it would have been very uncomfortable to watch if it did. Also there was a load of unsightly cables hanging from the tv There was no bedside lamp. The carpet did not look like it had been vacuumed. The bed was comfortable and the linen was clean. Considering this was not really a budget pricehotel it was very poor value for money.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo