“Little gem”

Room 9
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very very nice place,compact and bijou,food and staff excellent , especially Gemma the waitress from L.A.as we wanted macaroni cheese and they did us a special serving of it and the banana desert was the icing on the cake! We will be back for sure! Thanks for a nice evening

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My Wife and I recently stayed six nights in Taynuilt and travelled into Oban on at least four evenings to dine out.
The best food by far was Room 9 both in quality and value.
We pre - booked for Saturday evening 16th of August and chose from the fixed menu which runs until 7pm.
The price for the two or three course menu was very reasonable but if you wanted to eat out later then the post seven pm menu is still great value by comparison to several other eateries in Oban.
I realise I've used the word value a few times already but please note that this review is all about the quality and taste of the food which was top notch.
The staff were very pleasant and attentive plus my Steak was cooked to perfection.
When we return to the Oban area in the future we will be making sure that we have reserved a table in Room 9.
Well done to the owners and staff and all the best.

1  Thank DAVID N
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We found this little restaurant by luck as we had breakfast in the cafe across the road. We checked the current reviews while in the cafe and decided to book it then. We were right. This little place is on a side street and doesn't have the views of some of the other restaurants in Oban but the food and service were great. It was just what we needed. It is a quiet and fairly basic room but the staff were wonderful, welcoming and attentive.
We had seafood chowder for starter and this was the outstanding food of our stay. It was fresh and creamy with lovely large pieces of fish and drizzled with a basil and olive oil dressing. Fabulous!
The main managed to keep up the standards as we had a selection from the menu and every plate was delicious. So much so we didn't want to miss the deserts even though I should really have stopped after the main. The pudds were once again lovely and the three of us who plumped for the sticky toffee pud left extremely happy and extremely full.
This was the best meal of our stay and we will definitely come back next time we are in the area. It was so good my son asked me to put in a poor review so that it didn't get too busy so he could guarantee a table next time. Tempting....., but credit where credits due. This was great!. Thank you

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We ended up here after a full day of traveling, when we discovered many restaurants would not allow children after 8 pm due to their liquor license restrictions (good to know!) and we couldn't have been happier!

They even had kids meals! My son had the macaroni & cheese, which was perhaps THE BEST MACARONI & CHEESE I HAVE EVER TASTED! I think it was made with bacon & beer, but it was to die for, even for the pickiest eater in our bunch.

We adults started with the scallop chowder and none of us were disappointed... it was rich & creamy and FULL of scallops and shrimp! Yum!

Then we had a variety of entree's: Salisbury steak in a creamy port & onion sauce, traditional beer battered fish & chips and a smoked seafood sampler plate - all of which were delightful!

I was so full, I couldn't even think of another bite... until they brought out the dessert! Sticky date pudding with toffee sauce! Ohh I was in heaven!
-----

And the staff were exceptional, warming & helpful !

I will undoubtedly return to Oban again, if only to eat here!!

2  Thank bradenta
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Excellent food for presentation , the mix of flavours and experimentation with these return an outstanding result. Having eaten fish dishes in many restaurants found the Sea Bass dish to be the best ive ever eaten for exquisite taste.
This was a return visit from a previous excellent meal and was not disappointed, The staff are so helpful and friendly and you are very much made to feel valued for your custom. Small family run restaurant, hard working couple, husband is the chef and they deserve recognition for their hard work and commitment to providing a superb place to eat in all areas you would expect of a quality restaurant. Definitely will return again on next visit to Oban. Outstanding.

1  Thank Julia K