“Great place to eat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 92 Restaurants in Oban
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: Soups
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: SEAFOOD RESTAURANT AND TAKE-AWAY OFFERING A WIDE VARIETY OF LOCAL SUSTAINABLE FISH AND SHELLFISH AS WELL AS TRADITIONAL MEALS.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had a great meal in. In here there muscles are the best I have had and fish and chips are great to staff are always very friendly and welcoming its the only chippy I use in Oban

1 Thank janet0903

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Odense, Denmark
“Top notch chippy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Ordered the "Fish Tea" and had one of the best fish and chips of my life. Fantastic! The tartar sauce was also amazing. Cannot recommend highly enough!

1 Thank DenmarkPaul
Brush Prairie, Washington
“Best Seafood Platter I have ever tasted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Most seafood platters I have had were deep fat fried. Not this platter. The fish was either raw or cooked without any batter. Two styles of smoked salmon, oyster in the half shell, pickled herring, crab claws, langoustines and mussels. We brought in a bottle of wine and there wasn't any corkage fee. The waitress was very attentive and pleasant. Looking at the place from the street, it appear just a in and out fish and chips shop. Don't let looks fool you. Looking back over our two weeks in Scotland, we had many fine meals, but this one stands above the others in our memory.

• Visited April 2014
Perth, Scotland
“Very Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We visited this fish and chip shop after spending the day away on Mull and Iona. So we thought we would go and try a traditional fish and chip shop after having a disappointing meal at another restaurant the previous day. Well we ate in and I must say that the fish and chips that were presented were one of the best I have tasted. The others in my party all enjoyed their orders and the cost was really good. 3 of us ordered the “Special” which was meant include bread but they did not supply that but we did not mention this as the quantity of food was quite a lot. Otherwise the service was good. If they can maintain this quality I will definitely be back.

1 Thank Davie_C
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, expensive to eat in”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The restaurant part of the chippy is lovely (although has more of a cafe than a restaurant feel) and the staff are friendly and helpful. The food itself cannot be faulted, and I would go as far as to say it's some of the nicest fish and chips we've ever had. However... my bugbear was the price of the other extras. My husband had a can of coke (£1.60!!!) and I had orange squash and water (£1.50!!!) which is just plain scandalous. We shared a Thai fishcake starter which was very nice but was just one fishcake- this was £6 which seemed disproportionately expensive when the main course of cod or haddock and chips was only £8. The total bill (including curry sauce which was again quite steep although I can't remember the exact price) came to nearly £30 which for fish and chips twice seemed a lot somehow. I fully appreciate that you pay more for the privilege for eating in rather than take away, but if we went again I would be tempted to save a substantial amount of money by opting for the latter!

• 2 of 5 bubbles