“Very unwelcoming Landlady made me livid and embarrassed”

St. Anne's Guest House
Ranked #89 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My girlfriend got me a wee weekend away in Oban for my birthday, something I was very happy about as unbeknown to her I have family in the town. Therefore i was telling her about how nice it was and how friendly the people are. Therefore, I was absolutely shocked and embarrassed by the behaviour of the owner. It was really disgraceful.

When my girlfriend she was asked to specify what time we would be arriving, which she did so it was very dissapointing to arrive at the guest house in freezing february to find noone in sight and only a note with a phone number on it which nobody answered when we tried multiple times. We must've been at the door for about halfanhour trying to get in but to no avail. Confused by the message on the st annes guesthouse to go to arbour guesthouse there but nobody there either. It is not made clear by the website that the two are owned by same people. We then thought we might as well go for drink at a pub for an hour and try again later. It was annoying to have to carry all our luggage at this point. I realise that check in times and whatnot can go awry especially if things are booked third party but the whole set up was very poor. However, this is not the main problem with the hotel. I was still fairly happy at this point. We are not complainers, by an stretch.

What happened next was utterly contemptable from a supposed landlady. We eventually after knocking on the door saw movement from the inside and an elderly lady came out and let us in without a word of welcome. We told her we had a room reserved and she didn't even say a word. She then just walked straight out of the room!! leaving us completely bewildered, coming back a couple of minutes later and demanded our details. The whole experience was just disgraceful and not a usual oban welcome. At this point we discovered that the prices were more expensive than when we booked. I was incredulous at this point but kept this under control because we didnt want to risk not getting a roof over our heads. we were then offered the closest room to where the lady was standing which was a tiny wee room with no on suite, after we seemed a bit unsure the landlady reluctantly offered us a bigger room with on suite facilitites. Could she just not be bothered going upstairs to the bigger room??? haha

The room itself was quitte clean and comfortable.

The next day we didn't want to carry our luggage around all day but the landlady had made us feel so unwelcome we didn't feel like we could ask her if it was possible to leave it there.

She then had the audacity to say as we left "I HOPE YOU HAD A NICE STAY AND PLEASE COME BACK" WAS SHE JOKING???????????????????????

AFTER SPEAKING WITH MY AUNTY FROM THE AREA APPARANTLY SHE IS WELL KNOWN AS BEING VERY UNWELCOMING. AND AS I KNOW FROM YOUR RESPONSES THAT THE OWNER LOOKS AT THESE REVIEWS, PLEASE GET HER TO CHANGE HER ATTITUDE. IT IS A DISGRACE AND DOES NOTHING FOR SCOTLAND'S IMAGE OF GOOD HIGHLAND HOSPITALITY.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank scotabroad77

Reviewed 26 October 2010

I can see that St Anne's has had some negative reviews but we had no problems at all - the rooms were clean and comfortable and better than you would expect for the price.

As we were travelling up from England we were arriving very late (nearly midnight) - we mentioned this in advance and it was no problem for the landlady who was friendly and welcoming when we turned up. We even got free drinks vouchers for the pub next door.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank daven29
Reviewed 27 September 2010

we booked was wondering if we can leave our luggage in storage until check in at 16, we would arrive at 1pm.
upon confirmation of booking so we thought that our request was accepted.
We arrived as planned at the b&b to 1pm and we found a sign on the door that said to check in and other info call ...
I called the number but the message was too low volume and not marked to me that I don't speak fluent English.
I had to hear it 2 or 3 times to understand, (I will not say how much I spent calling from a italia mobile) and at 2pm I left a message saying that we were waiting at the b & b.
at 15.15, it was raining and a very kind lady in the b&b beside us up offering us something to drink hot.
about half an hour after the nice lady was able to contact the owner of the st. anne and explained the situation.
her answer was that she had heard the message and it would come to 4.30pm.
she sent another person to take care of our check in, so we couldn't tell her what we thought.
we were angry and tired, but we could not cancel, because we would have lost money.
the day after we've not the wireless in the room as we should, so we went on the first floor and met the owner that in front of other people and in a rude tona asked who we were?
We were in our pajamas, where we could get there?!

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank nicole_nic77
arbour1, Owner at St. Anne's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2010

While we endeavour to meet the expectations of all our Guests, sometimes we have to be out when Guests arrive outwith our check in times of 4.30 to 9.30. This information is printed very clearly in BLOCK CAPITALS ON THE BOOKING CONFIRMATION. Some Guests arrive much later, up to 3am which we are happy to accommodate, provided we know about it.. I'm afraid we are not able to offer a 24 hour reception, but we will make every effort to accommodate early or late check in, PROVIDED WE KNOW ABOUT IT IN ADVANCE. St.Annes is a 2 star budget Guest house which is reflected in our prices. We aim to provide good quality accommodation, which is comfortable,clean and warm. For the most part, we succeed. Over 500 Guests stay with us per month, many of them on a repeat basis. This reviewer was greeted by myself as the owner, at 4.30. I aplogised for the misunderstanding over the check in times, and my apology was accepted. The reviewer stayed for 2 days and had plenty of time to make a complaint if she was still unhappy. I'm afraid I have no idea who was rude to her in her jimmy jams, but it was'nt the owner.

Reviewed 7 July 2010

Well we booked St Annes Guest House online for quite a cheap price and on the day we arrived we got to the door to find a sign on the door saying ring this number so we did and a young man came out from next door and shouted us over saying we was staying in here.This other Guest House was called Arbour. Which we never booked for!
There was no-one to greet us when we got there and the whole house felt lonely, cold and just an unpleasant place to stay.
So we decided not to stay and we rang the woman up who owned the place and we told her in a polite way that we would not be stopping and the reasons why. And she turned quite snappy and full of attitude.

If you have booked this and your not satisfied go down to the tourist board and form a complaint because if more complaints go through. Other people won't have to be in the same situations as we was.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank Laura A
stannes1, Owner at St. Anne's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

St Annes Guest House and Arbour Guest House are situated side by side in Dunnollie Road and are run by the same family. They are both rated 2 star by Visit Scotland. St Annes appears first on the website page and is the headline Guest house for booking purposes, although it is clear from the information on the website that rooms will be allocated in either Guest House. For example, St Annes has mostly double rooms, and Arbour has mostly twin rooms. If bookings are being made through Tourist Information centres, as in this case, sometimes this can cause confusion, as all the information is not passed on, although I believe it is in the printout given to customers. While we endeavour to meet the expectations of all our Guests, sometimes we have to be out when Guests arrive outwith our check in times of 4.30 to 9.30. Some Guests arrive much later, up to 3am which we are happy to accommodate, provided we know about it. I'm afraid we are not able to offer a 24 hour reception. St.Annes and Arbour are both budget Guest houses which is reflected in our prices. We aim to provide good quality accommodation, which is comfortable,clean and warm. For the most part, we succeed. Over 500 Guests stay with us per month, many of them on a repeat basis. In fact, we had some good reviews on Trip Advisor previously. Where did they go?
This particular reviewer actually did us a favour by not staying. A very nice American family checked in, and were so delighted with the room they stayed for four days. Every cloud!

Reviewed 4 July 2010

I was very hesitant to book this guest house because of some of the other reviews on here, but we had full days planned and only needed a place to sleep that was affordable. The price (without breakfast) was considerably lower than any of the other options I found. The owner was not overly friendly, but I would not say she was rude. The rooms were kind of shabby, but they were basically clean. We had a private bath, but it was next door to our room and it was clean. I was able to access wifi. This is not a place for romance or relaxation. I didn't want to linger here and would not have wanted to stay for more than the night that we did. The location was pretty good. Cannot speak to the breakfast, as we did not partake. Ultimately I would not suggest this place unless you really wanted something cheaper and didn't care about the surroundings. Port in a storm, shall we say!

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank hanno4444
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Do not stay at this B&B or the other black house beside this, you will wnd up without breakfast, that you already paid for dirty room and no staff to find in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travellerhoganas
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We are stay for on night there and I will never come back.
It was a inadmissible dirty place! In the morning we wake up from a noisy Lady in the kitchen. No chance to sleep in this place.

But the good fact was the free Hot Spot.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends