“What I like in a pub”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Lunenburg, Canada
“What I like in a pub”
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We were a group of 8 and had asked ahead to be together. We were seated in our own corner and attentively waited on by pleasant servers. Everyone was pleased with their meals, which were varied-- from mussels to pizza. My fish and chips were very good. The fish was fresh and nicely cooked, without too thick a batter coating. I come from a fishing town and am very particular about f&c. The fries were not as good. They were too thick and starchy. Chips in my book are either crunchy or soft and greasy, and then you have to drown them in vinegar. These fit neither taste -- just ordinary potatoes that have been fried a little. My wife's steak and ale pie was very good. I had the chocolate fudge cake for dessert, served warm with lots of fudge sauce. I declined the ice cream that is usually served with it, preferring the pure thing this time around. Our bill with tip, including a pint of lager and two large glasses of wine was £37. Not bad for the UK.

• Visited September 2013
lornebar, General Manager at The Lorne Bar, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thanks for your positive review, we try and cater for all age groups at the Lorne and that's why our menu has dishes such as freshly made pizza, burgers, local seafood and meats.

We also try and offer value for money and the best customer service in town.

I hope you had a nice holiday in Scotland.

Kincardine, Canada
“Great Steak and Ale pie. Cold pint. Good Service. Recommend!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I escaped into here, when it was starting to rain August 28th or 29th 2013. We had asked the Oban ambassador for a recommendation down at the dock. She recommended a few places for a good pub meal and we decided to go to the Lorne hotel. It is a short walk from the harbour around the back road over a wee stream! The pub is really nice, our waitress was very friendly and we had a pint of Tennents and a fruit cider the waitress recommended. It was a really good pint and a good fruit cider. We both had the steak and ale pie, peas and chips. The food was hot, portion size was good, taste was excellent! Service was very good, even as the bar became busy. The waitress worked very hard!
We were there as a couple.
Recommended. Good job guys!

• Visited August 2013
Thanks for your review, yes we have had some very good comments about our steak pie, the secret is in the braising of the meat !!
I hope you enjoyed your visit to Oban.
Chicago
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food ordinary at best, service slow”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We ate at the Lorne Bar in Oban on Sunday late afternoon, early evening, 25 August 2013. Even though it wasn't terribly busy, the service was slow and apathetic. The food though was worse: I had scallops and black pudding; both were average at best and sat on an unappealing and tasteless lump of mashed potatoes. My friend's meal was in a word, putrid, a dreadful concoction of some kind of chicken and ham. The chicken tasted as if it was heated in a microwave. The beer selection was limited which, given the large number of excellent local beers in Oban and the nearby isles, was a shame.

• Visited August 2013
lornebar, General Manager at The Lorne Bar, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
I am really sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the Lorne.
We take tripadvisor feedback very serious and where we fell short this time will be looked into and I will make sure my team learn from the mistakes that were made on this occasion.
melbourne
“Back street”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Venue is located just off the Main Street. It is an old fashion hotel with meals to match. Venue is staffed as you would expect - many tasks to perform whilst also looking after the patrons. Cost is reasonable in comparison with other eating houses in he town.

• Visited August 2013
lornebar, General Manager at The Lorne Bar, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
I take it from the 3 star rating that you did not enjoy your visit, it is a pity that you have not provided me with more information regarding your visit as we use these reviews as training tools to improve all the time.

We do hope to spend some money on the Lorne over the winter and we strive to provide excellent customer service at all times and value for money dining.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Scotland.
falkirk scotland
“good value lunch menu”
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

In a town that can be pricey for food the lorne sticks out with a good lunch deal. £5 or£6 for a main course. The cheese burger and cajun chicken were very good. good drink deals as well

• Visited August 2013
lornebar, General Manager at The Lorne Bar, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for your positive review, yes for a number of years we have tried to combine good produce and value for money, hopefully we are succeeding in providing this!!