“Not the best”

Sgeir Mhaol Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oban
Sgeir Mhaol Guest House
Ranked #76 of 94 Oban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Gave this B&B an average score but the review was taken off because it didn't have enough detail. I was trying to avoid doing so, but in the interest of honest reviews here goes.... Quite difficult to get in and out of as it is on a very busy main road. This also caused some road noise in my room. The room smelled very musty. The sink is in the room and not the en-suite, the en-suite had a wooden toilet seat which was quite stained and had more blue flush than I have ever seen before. The shower was pretty much non existent - a mere dribble of cold water (even after running the room tap as instructed). Shower cubicle was mouldy. Cup in the room was dirty (still had coffee stains) and was chipped. TV was from the ark, very little colour left, but internet access was great so no worries if you have a tablet. Sheets and duvet not the greatest and got very cold once heating was off. No hair-dryer. Dining room was freezing and had no napkins. Owner was very pleasant.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank CraigiefortScotland

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

I have hesitated a long time before writing this review. Not because I have any reservations about giving Sgeir Mhaol a glowing review, but because it was so very special for me that I have had trouble finding the right words. A little background is in order here. My traveling companion wound up in the hospital in Oban with a very serious illness and I was essentially on my own from that point on. Ishbell and James literally took me in and took care of me while I was adjusting to the shock. They made me feel very much at home and befriended me into the bargain. Though the room was great, the food was better and the atmosphere created by my hosts was comfortable and friendly, all I can remember is the kindness I was shown and this trumps everything. If you want a place to stay that will make you feel at home, stay here. If you two read this, forgive me for not getting in touch sooner. And thank you so very much for proving that folks with good hearts are found wherever you travel and if you're very lucky you'll find them as I did.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank sejcook
obaniteOban, Owner at Sgeir Mhaol Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Hello,
well to say i am touched by your review would be an understatement indeed.
When you came to the door of Sgeirmhaol, you looked so lost and worried, it was my pleasure to have you stay with us for a week,can I say Iona's loss was our gain.
I hope you and your friend had a safe journey home and that your friend has fully recovered from her illness.
We would be delighted to see you back [ for a brief stay ] next time on your way to Iona,
when I say brief I mean for you to have much longer on Iona to enjoy the beautiful island.
To receive your comments is just lovely,please give your friend my love and to you both
a very happy and healthy 2014.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights after arriving in town and having to book on the spot. Ishbell and Jamie were great hosts. Our room was reasonably basic but clean and tidy and everything worked as it should. The guesthouse was conveniently located for a walk to the supermarket or to the centre of town. There was also plenty of free off street parking and an area to sit outside and enjoy the evening. The only downside was the dining room as it was a bit small when there was a full house and it got a bit warm when the summer sun came straight in (maybe bit a regular problem in Scotland?). Is hell and Jamie were going to install some fans to help fix that. If you are looking for a basic but well kept and friendly place to stay then you would do well to check out Sgeir Mhaol.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
obaniteOban, Manager at Sgeir Mhaol Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Hi guys,
thanks for your lovely review.
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us and gave a very fair and honest review.
Yes we had the fan fitted in the dining room and its making a huge difference to the comfort of our guests at breakfasts,although we are always happy to see the sun streaming through the windows at Sgeirmhaol, it was very warm for the 3 days you were here in Oban
I suppose like a lot of guest houses our dining room is not vast but we try to arrange the tables for our guests comfort.
Hope you had a good flight home and we may see you again at Sgeirmhaol,
kind regards to you both ,
Ishbell and Jamie

Reviewed 8 June 2013

The owners were friendy and helpful, the room clean, and the bed comfortable if a little small for our liking. The washbasin wasin the room rather than in the ensuite shower room, which proved a little akward. The ample breakfast was freshly cooked and served hot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vixen22_7
obaniteOban, Owner at Sgeir Mhaol Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Hello from sunny Oban.
Thankyou so much for your comments on Sgeirmhaol.
We do understand that some of our guests do not like that our wash-hand basins are in the rooms and not in our en-suite.Unfortunately when we bought Sgeirmhaol the sink were as they are.
We have thought of putting the sinks into the rooms but they would be rather small so for tat reason we have left them as they are.
So happy you enjoyed your stay with us and especially our breakfasts, a good hearty start to your day.It would be lovely to see you here again,
kind regards,
Ishbell and Jamie

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Oban is nice enough but our stay at Sgeir Mhaol was marred by the owner's comments when asked to recommend sights in Oban's (she said there was nothing and we should head out) , eating out places (she said it was not worth even trying as she "guaranteed" they would all be booked & full) , a glass of water after we had checked out (she gave me a bottle of water but said we were trespassing - this was when we were standing at the reception counter trying to catch her eye!). The Castle and seaside promenade in Oban is delightful, seafood great and most restaurants go out of their way to make room for last minute orders.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank seemag167
Reviewed 17 October 2012

On arrival, although the hostess was busy she was a bit snappy. The room was small and the bathroom smelt of urine. Nice breakfast was provided, but table was set with a second hand serviette. Ample parking, but due to it being on a busy road it was a bit of a challenge getting in and out.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Very enjoyable stay at the Sgeir Mhaol, nice friendly owners. Our room was a little small but, spotlessly clean. Breakfast was very good which had to be chosen the night before, so might not be everybody's cup of tea.. We only stayed here one night. Ideal location to visit Mull we went on a brilliant tour which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
obaniteOban, Owner at Sgeir Mhaol Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Thankyou so much for taking the time to let me ,and everyone else, know how much you enjoyed your stay at Sgeirmhaol.
Its been a long and very busy season for me and ,having no help with running Sgeirmhaol, reading these wonderful reviews makes it all worth while,again thankyou so much,
Ishbell