“Not worth the trip from Oban”
Review of Waypoint Grill

Waypoint Grill
Ranked #50 of 95 Restaurants in Oban
Price range: US$9 - US$36
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Local produce served in a beautiful setting overlooking Oban Harbour from Oban Marina on the Isle of Kerrera, accessible by ferry or sailing yacht.
Manchester UK
“Not worth the trip from Oban”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Probably my only dissapointng meal/restaurant during my stay in Oban.

The trip across from Oban on the launch is fun and part of the charm so no issues there.

However, went downhill from there really.

No one really to meet/greet you - you find out later on that if you've got a reservation your name is on a card on the table; not sure how you are supposed to know this as a first timer?

We found out someone was using our table, still, no problem, have a drink at the bar. The lady running the bar then proceeds to totally ignore us for 3 or 4 minutes whilst doing nothing other than noisily hurling empty wine/beer bottles into a bin. Eventually she started chin wagging away with another waitress so I asked if we could order some drinks (that is exactly what I said) - to which she shot us a 'what do you think this is, a public bar' glance. Well yes, that's exactly what it is missus so how about you look after your customers. We did get chatting to her and she was a nice lady, her second season whilst doing some sort of veterinary course - she just needs to be a bit more customer/service focused or stick to looking after animals.

On to the food; distinctly average I've got to say both in terms of choice and quality; totally edible but nothing elegant or delicate. I guess we just felt like we were eating as opposed to dining ie. lacking a sense of occasion.

The dining room did also leave a lot to be desired; the main door was left open so whilst no doubt wait staff going back and forth to the kitchen were warm, we were left chilly with a breeze whistling round our ankles. It's basically an upmarket scout hut in design with quite rickety, patio style wooden furniture.

Half way through our mains, we spotted that we were 10 minutes away from the launch leaving (which would have stranded us for another hour) so we made a dash for it - the lady on the bar was very accomodating in processing our bill which was great.

I can see this place is handy if you are staying on a boat at the marina - I totally get that. Just can't see that its worth the trip over from Oban when there are so many other better choices.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank ITTS
iko123, Manager at Waypoint Grill, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Im sorry you did enjoy your visit. The restaurant is a different experience and generally those poeple with an open mind and a sence of adventure love the experience. As previous customers have said its "quirky", "relaxed" and "fun", and not run of the mill like other eating places. We are on a very small island and yes the building is simple and rustic and limited in its infrastructure, and yes its unusual in its set up, but we work with that, and that is what many visitors, locals and regulars love about it..

Please remember It is also a Bar, and a lot of people just come in for a drink. We do not therefor instantly aproach everyone that enters waiving a menu!. As for the food well, we have a full evening and lunch menu and a contiunosly changing specials board, offering excelent fresh food. we offer an exciting and varied choice of dishes, Probably one of the most varied selection of fresh local seafood on offer in Oban. We dont pretend to be anything we are not. Most people love the experience. A few do not.

Croydon, United Kingdom
“Loved the Waypoint!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This was our first visit to Oban and we picked up a leaflet in the tourist office advertising the Waypoint Grill, with a free ferry across the bay for diners. The ferry leaves from the north pier and is only licensed to carry 12 passengers, though they will send a second boat if necessary.
We were lucky with the weather and sat outside overlooking the harbour. The food we had was delicious - the best fish & chips in a long time! If we'd had time we would have definitely gone there for dinner - but they get very busy so booking is recommended.

Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
“Great for a relaxed lunch”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

You get to the restaurant by a small ferry (free for diners at the restaurant) that leaves hourly just after the hour, from the North Pier in Oban. The day we went it was hot and sunny, making the trip there and back part of the charm of the experience. The restaurant has great views over the marina on Kerrera and back across to Oban. I had squat lobsters and sea bass - both of which were delicious and my partner had steak and oyster pie - which he raved about. We wished we had time for pudding, because we saw amazing looking chocolate cheesecake being given to the next table. Sadly we had to catch the next ferry back. If you are thinking of going, I would treat your visit as an opportunity to relax. Perhaps catch the outward ferry about 1200 and come back at 1400 or even 1500 to allow you to see a bit of Kerrera or just to have another glass of wine.

Burton-on-Trent, England
“Definitely worth trying!”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed in Oban in June and just had a beer here after wandering round Kerrera so when I came back this week thought it definitely worth trying. I had the fish & chips and my sister had the scallops which she said were beautiful. My fish & chips weren't half bad either!! Portion sizes are really good. If you're looking for something slightly different then try it. It's the whole package of getting the ferry there & back and although it's just a wooden shack of sorts (albeit a very nice one) I love it, it's just my kind of place. The service is very good and the people very friendly. Will definitely return when back in Oban.

Scotland
“Perfect lunch spot”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Fabulous lunch at the Waypoint on Monday. Sat out on the deck in the sunshine, enjoying squat lobster, prawns and scallops, washed down with a bottle (or was it two?) of pinot grigio, watching the boats come and go. Perfect!