“Wow!.... Can't be long before Oban has a Michelin star! It already has a French one (star) here!”
Review of Cuanra Restaurant

Cuanra Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 94 Restaurants in Oban
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Cuanra Restaurant is fast gaining a reputation for the finest cuisine. Our highly experienced team of chefs take great pride in the sourcing of the very best of local produce. The intimate atmosphere enjoyed is accentuated by the twinkling crystal chandeliers and the breath taking views over Oban Bay to the Isle of Kerrera.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Having recently spent a week or two in Oban, I decided I had to check out all it had to offer... The best by far is the Glen Campa restaurant, the head chef and his small but skilled team amused my palette for 5 nights in a row! I have to recommend the scallops pan fried and served with smoke marinated pigeon.... I could have eaten this dish everyday, simply superb. The menu itself is small but varied (super cheap for the quality, leaves you plenty change from £30 for 3 courses and an amuse bouche!) and the service was fantastic, a charming front of house manager Lindsay; frequented me with polite but not intrusive conversation, she was backed up by a waiter who I later discovered was trained at Eriskay, (worth a trip also) in all this was superb meal five times! Only my departure date stopped me returning again, though I'm sure I'll be returning again soon! Thank you to all at the Glen Campa!

1 Thank Robertkey

Bodo, Norway
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We've been to Oban many times and stayed at the Queen's Hotel before, so it was an extremely pleasant surprise to find their new chef was so incredible. He experiments with flavours which wouldn't normally be considered complimentary (venison carpaccio with sweet hazelnut cheesecake, sole with samphire and a plantain mash) but which are presented and combined with such skill that every mouthful was a delight, and the taste kept changing through the dish. We ate there twice, and I have recommended and raved about the food to anyone who will listen!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Alex P
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“A Brilliant Surprise”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Who would have thought that a Best Western Hotel could be hosting a great restaurant? I didn't. We booked the hotel because it was clean, comfortable and right by the sea. It was all that, so we decided to eat there after our tiring journey. The bar snack menu looked interesting and good value, but we decided to try the restaurant. It doesn't look that inviting (a bit plain with "standard hotel" layout), and the menu doesn't sound very fancy. Boy, were we in for a pleasant surprise! The £22 two-course dinner included an amazing "amuse bouche" (extra first course) at no extra charge - we had little cheese pastries, curried smoked haddock, mini haggis and home smoked olives that would have matched a michelin starred restaurant. The starters were pretty, interesting, and with lovely matched flavours - mine was wafer thin slices of air-dried venison and wild mushrooms. The main courses were equally good - mine was pork cooked three ways with wilted spinach. The wine prices were average, with a reasonable choice. We enjoyed it so much we booked again and had another, equally impressive dinner. Don't be fooled by the low price - this is a very good restaurant with a talented and enthusiastic chef.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Brian B
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“What luck!”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We only found this restaurant by chance, as it is at the Queen's Hotel where we had made a last minute booking. It sounded nice from the menu, but it was actually brilliant. We were given an amuse bouche of 4 imaginative little tastes and the 'proper' food was exactly to our liking. I had a cold cucumber soup poured at the table over tiny cubes of smoked salmon and a horseradish ice cream. My main course was wild sea bass with deep fried baby squid, on a bed of pak choi and chick peas. The service was helpful but not excessive and neither the food of the wines were too expensive. If we lived nearby we would come here frequently!

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Jb1255100
“Exceptional food in unlikely location”
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

Having eaten at two Michelin star restaurants in the last year we think this is better. Faultless cooking and inventive menu with inspired surprises. Excellent value for money - go there while you can.

1 Thank Eva M