Bay Great Western Hotel
Agoda.com
US$209
US$181
Toprooms.com
Muthu Alexandra Hotel(Oban)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$157
Travelocity
  • Pool
US$273
Official Site
US$108
bedfinder
All reviewsnational holidaysshearings holidaysea viewpremier roomself driveentertainment every nightthe dining room staffcoach triphalf boardgreat holidaybar pricesplenty of hot watereach eveningsea frontlong journeyan upgradebuffet breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed here with my partner in late november on a shearings holliday.It is lovely old(,i think 1870ish built hotel )right on the bay edge, with lovely views from the windows at the front,
The meals were excellent and served very efficently and the staff seemed to enjoy helping the guests with their orders.
We had a first floor bedroom at the far end of the wing,it was spacious,we had a twin room as all the similar costing doubles were booked,although an upgrade was available..the bahtroom was big with plenty of hot water,only negative was that it was a very dated bathroom,the towel radiator never worked ,i never mentioned it as the towels were allways changed for fresh on a daily basis,it seemed very old bathroom suite but acceptable,and finally the tv reception was poor,maybe this is normal being on the west coast of scotland well away from major towns.

10  Thank IPMStocktonOnTees
Reviewed 9 December 2011

This has to be tha original Faulty Towers.. A rabbit warren of rooms. Room very very old but clean. We were a 'walk in' on a Saturday night..way overpriced!
I feel we paid for the view.
Would have been happier to have paid a lot less for the standard of accomodation.
My 80 year old mother slipped on the very slippery steps at the front after it had been raining.
Could do a lot better elsewhere and not pay for the view!!

• Stayed: November 2011
6  Thank Nurses5255
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Jason Knight is a joy...making the holiday entertainment special...never laughed so much for years...the hotel rooms are comfortable and really spotless...the food good...the staff really nice...lovely coastline...lots to see we will return to take sea trips to Seal Island and Mull...so many places to visit.

4  Thank 721Freya
Reviewed 13 November 2011

After reading through the reviews of this Hotel I am dissmayed at the attitude of some of the previous guests with regard to their comments about the Hotel being full of "senior citizens" which I find offensive, I myself and my wife have just retired and we booked with Shearings for a five day stay for the first time and yes it was mostley OAP's and what a great time we had watching other elderly folk "some 20yrs our senior" having a realy great time, do the people who dont like senior citizens, think they should stay at home with their knitting and go with out a break just to please them ( GET A LIFE ) or go over sea's. Rant over.
We enjoyed every minute of our stay in such a stunning area and yes the Hotel needs a good overhaul but as long as its dry, clean & comfortable we are happy, food was ok but sometimes a bit cool to say the least, staff very attentive. My only gripe was the prices at the bar £3-65 for a pint of Fosters £7-50 a round for my wife and I , she drinks Bacardi and coke but when they put the coke in it's one very short blast and it takes three blasts to fill the glass so its two extra shots at 55p per shot which adds £1-10 to the price of the drink and if you want a shot of lime to your lager its 55p on top were most pubs charge 5p for a shot.We would use this Hotel again BUT drink in the pub a couple of doors down from the Hotel.On a lighter note JASON was the centre of the nights entertainment, great voice and good host,but sadley hes moving on, the xmas eve and new year's eve turns were Scotish folk singers and as good as they were, you could not sing along to the songs.Sorry if ive upset some folk but I say it as it is .

10  Thank jon a
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Just back from this hotel for a long weekend and had a lovely time. The room we had although a little small was clean and comfortable. The food was good and served by the waitress Maria who was excellent and could not do enough for us. We would certainly go back to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends