Bay Great Western Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsnational holidaysshearings holidaysea viewpremier roomself driveentertainment every nightthe dining room staffcoach triphalf boardgreat holidaybar pricesplenty of hot watereach eveningsea frontlong journeyan upgradebuffet breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Have just returned from a 4 day stay at the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, even though we had paid extra for a sea view, and another extra for a "Premium Room". I am currently putting together a full letter of complaint to Shearings, although it is obvious from all of the other bad reviews on this site that they don't care at all about their clients. If I get a response I will post a full report here. In the meantime I advise you to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
8  Thank mgoundry
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I am not going to waste any time writing about how bad this place is...Please...Please...Please do not spend your money going into this shambles they call a hotel...as for the food it's not fit for human consumption..

What a waste of our money, time, and our weekend..

The only plus was view when you were outside the place..

Room Tip: Stay clear of this place!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Alexis556
Reviewed 13 May 2012

On arriving at the hotel we noticed there was scaffolding up and either side of the hotel which wasn't a problem. Our first impression was flaky paint on the main entrance and doorway,with a very shabby hallway. We were greeted warmly by the reception staff and were promptly given our room key and shown the lift. My husband went in the lift. as I do not like them as this one was a very small, on so walking up to our room 306 all the hallways and stairways were very tired and shabby. Outside our room was yet another set of stairs we felt that we were going onto the roof!.On entering our room yes another set of steps !! at that point my husband noticed the bed was at a funny angle! The bed had a leg missing replaced by a lump of wood!!! which brought much hilarity we both kept ending up on one side of the bed.All the furniture was a miss match and I do believe the spiders had lovley homes in the room!!.(Cobwebs in abundance)the cobwebs waving in the draft from the window.The bathroom itself was Ok but somebody needs to explain to the guests how to work the green gizmo light for the towel rail to heat up, and if you require hot water for a shower etc you can't at night as the water is stone cold thats if you get water (faulty tap) the shower does work when it wants to and then just a trickle.The cleanliness of the room was Ok but it does need a spring clean. The dining room was an absolute disgrace with black PVC liners up at doorways. The food was very bland and the final straw was watered down orange juice, COME ON Shearings get this hotel spruced up so guests can enjoy ther stay. Alas a very disappointed stay in Oban. PS Dressing table light didn't work and where did the tv come from? a car boot sale!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 306 if you have issues with stairs and showers
7  Thank CumbriaRosie
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for your review. We have just recently had a lot of roof repair works carried out as it was not so long ago when the town experienced very severe weather conditions. There are areas of the hotel that have stairs dotted around but we do not want to remove too many characteristics of the Victorian hotel as a lot has already been removed or altered. We are an environmentally conscientious company and we do switch of the boilers during the night as we have found that this can help the environment and there is very minimal demand for hot water during the night. It is disappointing to hear that standards were not as should be but of course are now rectified. The reception staff are pleased that you felt you were welcome. Regards, Sean Hughes, General Manager.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We have just returned from a 6 night holiday with Shearings , the driver and hotel staff were excellent but the food left a lot to be desired, everything was frozen including the vegetables not even a fresh boiled potato was available, if you like chips or fried potatoes with every meal that's fine we ordered haggis and it was unrecognizable as such, we sent it back. Will not be returning to this hotel and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

4  Thank Joyce J
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

I was staying overnight on business in oban and bookes a single room here for
1 night - thank god it was just the one night!!!

When i entered this outdated hotel i was greeted by a receptionist who tk be fair was perfectly nice and efficient to me. She directed me to my room and thats when the fun began!!

So i enter my room and suddenly im transported back to 1988.... A tiny single bed greets me and a tv in the corner that is no larger than 8 or 9inch... I notice some sort of antique radio/alarm
In the corner as well!

Next the bathroom - very outdated and no room to swing a cat in it - the actual shower wasnt big eough to stand in and soap up at the same time.

Only way i made it through this night was by popping two sleeping tablets and praying for morning

Needless to say i wont be back here.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank nightfireuk2001

I’m sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the accommodation. I do hope that you asked for an alternative room, we would always try our best to accommodate if we can. Regards Sean Hughes, General Manager