“A place to lay your head, functional.”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Towcester, United Kingdom
“A place to lay your head, functional.”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The people who work here are lovely and make you feel welcome but the building is very tired. If you are just looking for a bed then this place is functional but it feels like nothing has really changed here since the early eighties. The breakfast was disappointing by comparison to other places we had stayed on our trip. It's a big place and the food is obviously mass produced but like other people have mentioned the orange juice was very watery.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank James B
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your constructive review. The staff are very happy that you have mentioned that they made you feel welcome. Yes we do prepare alot of food for the 140 guests we accommodate and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the breakfast and we are looking at the orange juice we buy.

Regards, Sean Hughes, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is our third year of enjoying great value weekend breaks at the great western. Friendly staff always helpfull. I would advise paying the small charge for a seaview room, they are bright and airy with a fabulous view, always clean with fresh towels daily if needed. The dining room is large and well laid out, with a varied menu, excellent meals and service. needless to say we will be back later in the year

Room Tip: top floor as floorboards are a bit creaky
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank janis b
, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
I wanted to say thank you for your kind words. I am very happy you have enjoyed your stay and even more happy to hear that it is not your first time staying with us, and hopefully not the last.
I shall pass your kind comments to our staff.
And hope to see you soon again in our Great Western Hotel.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Pleasant staff let down by general condition of hotel, decor very tired. Rooms not as on website, no tablecloths in dining room. Poor quality towels and very small. Food awful, no fresh veg, just frozen and never saw fresh potatoes and we chose to eat dinner outside the hotel for 4 days out of 7 at extra cost to us. Certainly not value for money and certainly not what we expected. This was our first coach holiday and will be our last with Shearings. Only good point was the sea view from our room which was beautiful and will return to Oban but not this hotel Did'nt believe poor revues read before travelling but they were very true.

Room Tip: View from sea view rooms excellent but picks up a lot of traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Julie L
, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
It is a shame that you did not enjoy your holiday experience and that the food was not to your expectations. The rooms advertised on the website are of our Superior and Premier rooms which can be larger and offer more facilities. I do remember speaking with you about the food but was not made aware that you had had some meals outside of the hotel.
I do agree that the views from the hotel are beautiful.
Sean Hughes, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Oban hotels

Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I paid for a clean dry room and bed, with decent meals. I got much more. Polite, pleasant staff, great food and a view to die for. OK, the paint on the window frame was a bit flaky, but the glass was clean and the view was brilliant. There was a spare blanket in the wardrobe in case I got cold in the night. There was a big bath towel if I wanted a shower as well as the hand towel and face cloth usually provided (not all hotels provide that). I think anyone who complains about this place was very unlucky or hard to please. They should remember if you want a 5 star hotel, you have to be willing to pay 5 star prices.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
I am very happy to hear such nice reviews, We try our best to give good value for money.
I do hope to see you here again and I shall pass your nice comments to our staff.

Wishaw
Reviewed 30 May 2012

The location cannot be faulted, the food is fair for a hotel catering mainly for coaches and the staff cleaning and serving in the restaurant are very good but the rooms let the place down. The creaking from the floorboards from the rooms all round make sleeping difficult, and rooms without a shower – this is the 21st century. Even little hostals in the Spanish mountains have showers

Room Tip: If sunny avoid front rooms - Sunny with no air con. If not sunny get a front room the views are terr...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank chasmac_11
Thank you very much for your review.
It is always nice to receive comments that help you to improve.
East Kilbride, Scotland
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Having read the comments made during the week before our stay, I was wishing I had booked elsewhere.
My 87 year old mother and I stayed in single rooms on the second floor, both with sea views.
Regarding previous comments about the food, I can only presume there is a new chef, as we enjoyed our 3 course meal every night, and our breakfast every morning.
Ok, it wasn't Michelin standard food, but we knew we hadn't booked a 5-star hotel.
Yes, you can pick faults with this hotel - if you are looking for faults, but it certainly is NOT worthy of only 1 star as rated by others who have stayed here.
As I wasn't happy with the original room I was given I actually saw inside 4 single rooms, and 3 out of the 4 were more than acceptable. I also saw inside 1 of the premium rooms, with a sea view, and don't understand how anybody could complain about it.
The week we were there the weather was fantastic, whereas the weather the previous week was not good. I suspect this had a lot to do with the wildly varying ratings given for the same hotel.
Finally, I can say that I had nothing but praise for all of the staff we met during our stay.
My only complaint was the main bar closing early most nights. This meant having to go to the basement level bar if you wanted a drink after 9.30/10.00.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms on the second floor were very good.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank StanandJan
I am very happy to see reviews like yours.
I appreciate every word you wrote.
Really at the end of a day it is a difference of a taste that everyone has.
We always try to help anyone, and we don’t want holidays to be bad for any of our guests.
I am glad that you have seen some of our rooms, and as I say if there is a possibility we will never refuse to change a room, or to upgrade if it is possible.
I do hope that you and your mother will come to visit Oban and us again. And I will pass your kind comments to our staff. They are always happy to hear compliments.
Falkirk
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Had an enjoyable week in Oban staying at the Great Western. Clean comfortable sea view room. Meals were good with a reasonable choice. Staff were excellent, helpfull and pleasant. Position of the hotel is superb. Decor is getting tired, and floor boards were very noisy, but overall good value for money.

Room Tip: Worth the extra for a sea view
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank moness32
Thank you very much for all the kind words.
We hope to see you here again, and I will pass all the nice comments to our staff.