“Run down hotel - In need of a makeover”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Having read the reviews of this hotel before staying there (not a good idea) I was puzzled as to why contributors either awarded it one star, or four. My first thought was that the 'moaners' were fussy. However, having stayed there for five nights as part of a Shearings tour, I can understand their comments.
We got off to a bad start: having waited over an hour for our luggage to be delivered to our room - I would happily have carried my own case - I went to enquire why it was taking so long as I seriously needed a change of clothes! I was informed that they only had one porter to deliver all the cases. I felt sorry for the guy, so took my case from him.
The room had various defects: cracked coving, missing bathroom tiles, mildew above the bathroom window and a heated towel rail connected with gaffer tape. Additionally, there was an ancient, tiny TV which only showed the main channels (badly). We did at least have a shower, although controlling the water flow was an art in itself. I must say that the cleaning was very good, with towels changed daily and tea replenished daily.
I suppose that all of this might have been bearable had the food been okay. However, to paraphrase a Woody Allen joke, the food was terrible and the portions tiny. My kippers were of the 'boil in the bag' variety, likewise any curry or chinese options. We were served a mere four breaded mushrooms as a starter. My wife had to send her scampi back as it was cold and what that brown stain on her chair was, God only knows. The only good point was that the waitress was efficient. Oh, and the drinks were very pricey - London prices.
As regards the public areas, the toilets were in need of refurbishment, there was paper peeling off the walls in the basement area. The entertainment was held in a dingy basement suite, so it was no wonder that few people ventured down there.
All this is a shame, as the hotel is situated in the most beautiful location. Unfortunately, if you go on this tour with Shearings you have to stay at this hotel. Speaking to other guests, the only ones who seemed satisfied were those who had booked at the last minute and had paid half the original price. 'Cheap and cheerful' was how one guy described the place, Needless to say, we paid the full price so were not happy.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank johnofhornchurch

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Arrived at the hotel august 4th for 7 nights. Let me say first off the staff are very good and can only do as they're instructed. We were allocated room 229 to find it didn't have a shower. I went to reception as was told...You have a jug in the bathroom what more do you want...
They closed the bar at 9.30pm forcing us to go downstairs to the dungeon, a very dark place that
had a smell that i can't describe. The tours were rubbish. Mull and Iona was a day wasted, and the optional £14 per head tour ended with us being dumped in fort William for 2.5 hours was a disgrace. The food wasn't brilliant, small portions and basic. As for the hotel in general it's in very poor condition. it smells of damp, needs redecorating, a good coat of paint, failing that....blowing up. if this is an example of what Shearings hotels are like...take my word...forget it.

Room Tip: If you must go and i say this tongue in cheek ask for a room on the first floor as there's only...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank PixieEngland
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for appreciating what the staff do for the guests. Some of our rooms do not have showers but we do have a shower instalment program in place to eventually have all rooms with shower facilities. We have two bars, one in the lounge and one in the entertainment room. The entertainment bar is open till late as this is where the visiting acts perform. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your excursions. Scotland is a beautiful place with fantastic scenery of which the majority of people enjoy. Planning is in place for the update of the hotel and it would be a shame to blow it up as the hotel has a lot of local history.
Regards, Sean Hughes, General Manager.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

nothing great about the great western???. got home on the 4th of august. had a week in oban.. hotel in a fantastic area.. plenty to do. ferry terminal near by. NOW for the bad points, hotel is in need of decoration, sooner rather than later reported our toilet re- not filling or flushing very well, had to use the shower head and fill the cistern ourselves although a maintenance person had apparently looked at it (try turning up the pressure) Food was a nightmare combinations of tastes were indescribable.(try using something other than tinned chopped tomatoes not the way to make a goulash nor a chicken chassuer, cauliflower does not accompany scampi) Would someone clean the dining room wall lights must be the whole of last years bug population taking up residence in the bowls.Not a place for the faint hearted..

Room Tip: Try a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank robert w

Yes, the hotel is in a fantastic area and the amenities are close by which enable plenty of things to do. Planning is in place to install an update of the hotel program. As you state the maintenance did check the fault and in this particular circumstance it was not a problem with the pressure of the water, it was a problem with the internal workings of the cystern. This however has now been rectified. We also looking at our menu as to give a better offering of food items. The ceiling lights do get periodically cleaned but these visitors are persistant. Thank you for hi-lighting the good and bad points of your stay and we shall endevour to up keep the good and improve on the bad.
Regards Sean Hughes, General Manager.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We have just had a week stay at this hotel w/c 14/07/12 the staff was great was very good from Linda the manager and Omh the waiter in the resturant, night porter, the maid who kept our room clean the bar staff. We have been to many Shearing Holidays and i have never had any problems with out the being sorted out but sorry you other Hotels this is the best one so far We were on the ground floor room 121 thanks a lot

Room Tip: Sea View for a very good view and the view is impressive
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nitram1953
SeanHughes, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

It's nice to see a pattern about the kind reviews about the staff and that some even get special mentions. Thank you also for the hotel special mention.
Regards, Sean Hughes, General Manager.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I was booked in to this hotel by my employers for 1 night. It cost £56 for b&b . I was given room 8, a single room on the ground floor. It was awful, the carpets and walls were badly stained, the room was freezing and the heater would not work. The furniture was lot and chipped and falling apart. The bathroom was a disgrace, the toilet moved away from the wall when you sat on it, there was a big chip off the top of the seat. The shower cubicle tiles were all cracked with big smears of silicone filler all round the bottom. The Lino was curling up round the edges and looked as if it had not been cleaned for a long time. There were lots of holes where things had been fixed to the walls and tiles and then removed. There was no soap or shower gel/shampoo provided. I thankfully had someone to visit that night so I did not have to stay in the room all evening, when I returned about 11pm, I went to have a shower and there was no hot water, it was Luke warm at best. I borrowed a hot water bottle from a friend and had to use it that night.
In the morning when I lifted the cover to get my hot water bottle, I found a bit of paper in my bed with names and numbers on it which did not belong to me. I am disgusted to think that I had slept in a bed which possibly had not been changed. I was so disgusted that I didn't bother going for breakfast, I just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible. Dirty, outdated and overpriced. A disgrace.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
11  Thank Anne M
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I purely booked this on the basis that Shearings use this hotel for their holiday brochure. I dare not go into the full detail as I may land myself in trouble with the owners of this hotel. Needless to say, that this will be the last tiem I use any hotel which Shearings are associated with. My 3 days in a lovely resort were spoilt with sub standard food, the presentation of the hotel and the poor excuse of a bedroom for a single occupancy. Apart from the sea view, this room was not good. I made my own travel arrangements and my only mistake was staying there for 3 nights instead of packing my bags after 1 night.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
11  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 24 July 2012

ONLY on the basis that they had space and we wanted to extend what was a wonderful holiday, taking in Mull, Iona, Staffa and elsewhere.
Surely it had improved greatly, after a few years of criticism from so many people?
Erm, try NO!

Sadly the manager is the same person, which straight away is bad news for prospective stayers.
The lift is no better, the rooms no better and the value for money is still appalling.
Food was average, not bad, but if anything, the staff to customer ratio is even worse than it was last time.

If this hotel was not owned by a coach firm it would have closed years ago, in bankruptcy.

Location is scenic, if noisy, but as for the rest...FORGET IT!

Do not take my word for it, read all the reviews with 1 and 2 stars for yourself.
Shearings should get their backsides in gear with this hotel and replace the manager as a starting point.
SO unhelpful as to me astonishing.

LIKED----THE SEA VIEW---FOOD QUITE NICE

DISLIKED---VALUE FOR MONEY---STAFF---MANAGER---ROOMS---LIFT---CUSTOMER SERVICE---ATTITUDE---PRICES---FOOD WAITING TIMES

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple