“i can only give it top marks”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Oban
glasgow
“i can only give it top marks”
Reviewed 7 April 2013

booked a last minute room with late rooms for a staggering £39 for a twin room with breakfast so didn't expect much I certainly didn't expect a large room with a sea view. okay room has seen better days as most of the hotel has however it is clean and comfy ,large bathroom and good sized bath with shower over and plenty hot water ,was checked in by very friendly lady at reception told us everything I needed to know and advised on parking, in morning just about 8 o clock the fire alarm sounded so we made our way out side staff were soon on hand to organise and reassure everyone ( same nice lady from reception) after the all clear we were allowed back in ,breakfast was fine if a little basic and it seems I sat on some ones table (memories of faulty towers coming back) so I do apologise to the rather excitable elderly guest
all the staff we came across were great even the one who told me I could sit at the royal table
a really nice old hotel with great staff in a great location that would be hard to beat for value for money

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robmac13
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Dear robmac13,

Thank you for your review, and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again!

Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Having read many of the reviews about The Bay Great Western Hotel I was looking forward to personally sampling what it had to offer - and was not disappointed,
The bedroom allocated was more than adequate, meals were of a good standard and varied and the friendliness of all the staff, that I came in contact with, was excellent. The drinks voucher scheme, offered by Shearings, was another added bonus during my 5 day break,
The hotels position was ideal (just minutes walk from the main town centre) and I, like many others who have reported on this hotel, would recommend that you try and reserve a sea-view room as the one that I stayed in was a delight to wake up in each morning - with great harbour views.
If you like eating fish then Oban is the place for you, with the choice locally being both abundant and exceptional.
I will return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Keith V
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thanks Keith28 for your great review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with.
See you again soon!
Hull, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

5 day National Holidays coach trip in February this year. If you want 5 star modern luxury...you are in the wrong place!! This is a Victorian building with very few mod cons; old draughty windows, and slow running hot water. BUT rooms and beds are clean; and staff are friendly and accommodating. Good choice of meals served hot. Lovely to have waiter service for a change. (Evening entertainment not our cup of tea, but others enjoyed it). With the 4 free drinks per day and the trips out...excellent value for money! (Oban is a lovely place to visit).
BIG THANKYOU to DAVID (Manchester driver). His knowledge is second to none!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Norma F
Thank you Norma F for your review. Its great to see you found the hotel clean and service good. The staff are very friendly and work very hard for our guests. I do agree with your other comments in that we are not a 5 star luxury modern hotel, and we do not pretend to be. All our breaks offer comfortable accomodation and fantastic value for money, when consideration is given to what is included in the price. I am pleased however that this year major refurbishment is taking place to bedrooms, the restaurant, lounge and bar area.
Thank you again for your comments, and hope to see you again soon.
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Just returned from 5 day break with Shearings (4-8th March).
We arrived at the hotel at around 6:30pm the same time as 2 other coaches. We thought we would be waiting an hour or so for our rooms and baggage. However, we were in our room and had our bags within 20 mins so well done to the staff and drivers for a quick job well done.
The hotel lift was out of action (again) so we had long haul up to the 3rd floor. OK for us but not so good for some of the older guests, although to the hotels credit they did offer help and support to those who requested it.
Our room was big and warm with a “4 poster bed” and large bathroom with shower. One thing that needs changing is this bed. It’s like sleeping in a box and every time you turned over or moved in your sleep you would knock your arm or leg on the side panels. The mattress has also had some hammer over the years so needs replacing as well. The shower is a challenge. It took around 10 mins to get the water temperature right so be careful, its either too hot or freezing cold.
The views from our room were stunning. There is some traffic noise from the main road but the views more than compensate for that.
We found the food choices and quality very good and the staff efficient and friendly so I don’t understand some of the bad reports I have read. It’s a case of some people expecting a 5 star service at 2 star prices. The drinks vouchers scheme works very well and is much better than the free for all scrums I have seen in some hotels. There is entertainment on each night including a comedian on the Thursday who was very funny
Our driver Dennis was superb. He kept us entertained with his knowledge and stories. The excursions are very good and the “extra” trip to Seil Island is a must. This place is stunning so take your cameras.
Oban shopping centre is a 5 min walk from the hotel as is the ferry port where you can take a trip to Mull, Iona and Lismore. At the other end of the road from the hotel is Dunollie castle and along this road you may be lucky enough (as I was) to spot otter in the sea.
Will return to this hotel again next year. Yes the place has creaky floors, dodgy plumbing, old sash windows and a bit worn carpet in places, but it has character, its 200yr old so all the above add to its charm. Don’t be put off by all the negatives.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a sea view and high floor
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alfonso_frisk
Dear Alfonso_frisk,

Thank you very much for your detailed review. I am really pleased to see that not only did you enjoy your stay with us but you are also planning a visit to us next year!

I have noted your comments regarding the bed and this will be changed very soon as the room you stayed in with us is one of the many rooms we are having refurbished. I do remember when you arrived that the lift was not working, which was not the best of timing when we had 3 coaches with us. I can only thank the lift engineers who worked tirelessly for us to get the lift working again the following day!

I do agree that our break are great value for money, and that the drinks vouchers system does work better for our guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year, and thank you again for you review.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

The hotel is well positioned and was very clean. The food was excellant with great choices for each evening meal. The room was very comfortable and warm. The staff are efficient and polite and my stay was very enjoyable. I look forward to visiting again. Our coach driver Lee was great. I don't know how National Holidays do it for the price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Dobby33
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Dobby33,

Its great to see that you enjoyed your break with us. I do agree that the hotel is positioned in such a great location being so close to the town centre. Also the views we get from the hotel are amazing. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Darren Moyle
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Just returned from a fiveday holiday with National.Everything was good.The Driver Marcus was excellant,very friendly and helpfull.The Hotel was also very good.The food and the service brilliant.I dont know what people find to grumble at especially for the price.

Room Tip: Pay the extra charge and get a room with sea view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank EnglandFrances
Thank you EnglandFrances for taking the time to post your kind review on here. I am really pleased you enjoyed your break with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Darren Moyle
northern england
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The hotel is in great position for the town which is lovely.
The hotel not so good ,it was clean and warm and plenty of hot water.
The food not good and usually cold and veg was not eatable ,we used to eat out at lunch time so we could just leave dinner and only pick at bits that were edible .
The staff were very good ,for the price we paid it was not bad value,but don't expect too much .!!!

Shearings staff were very good and can't fault them,in all a good 5day break and would do another
one .The vouchers they give for drinks are good value ,I would recommend Shearings to my friends just not 4 or 5 star.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple