“A nice break”

Bay Great Western Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Oban
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Just returned from Oban following a four day break with Shearing's and staying at the Bay Great Western.
Although the weather was a bit 'Iffy' we enjoyed a good break, the hotel is right on the front overlooking the bay, I asked for and was given a ground floor room due to my wife's walking difficulties and was allocated a room within yards of the reception, dining room and bar, the room was clean and reasonably well furnished.
The meals were very good and all members of the staff helpful and friendly, we enjoyed male singers on the Friday and Saturday evenings with the Friday singer being excellent, the Saturday singer had a good voice but had a poor choice of songs, on Sunday there was a Lady accordionist, very disappointing, the accordion appeared to be out of tune and we and a few others left.
One disappointment was on Sunday afternoon, the bar has a Conservatory area which looks over the harbour and people like to sit, read, watch the harbour activity in peace and quiet, however that was spoilt by the extremely ignorant driver of the National Coach who brought a small portable TV into the area and decided to watch the Newcastle United Football match at full volume with no consideration for other people.
No one from the hotel told him to leave or use ear phones and as such quite a number of elderly people like ourselves decided to go to our rooms for some peace. I would suggest that the Hotel Management should take this complaint up with National to prevent any future problems of this nature.

Room Tip: We were in room 22 which is ideal for anyone with walking difficulties, for views of the harbour roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm H
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Malcolm,
Thank you for comments, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your break with us. I am also pleased we met your all you’re requested room requirements. I will certainly pass on your kind comments regarding the staff and entertainers. I am sorry to read your comments regarding the events that happened on the Sunday Afternoon, and I will certainly be investigating this with the management team on duty at that time to prevent this from happening in the future.
I certainly hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Hand walking distance to walk into Oban town centre. Bar/lounge/restaurant/public areas clean. Helpful and friendly staff, food basic but tasty enough. Rooms basic but adiquate - only downside my bedroom carpet was washed midstay so I had to keep my shoes on in room to stop my feet getting wet which was a bit àwakward when getting dressed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your break with us. I am sorry that the carpet was cleaned in your room during your stay with us. This does not usually happen when a room is occupied, and will investigate with my housekeeping team why this was done on this occasion.
Once again thank you for your comments and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Great location amazing views, lovely room spotlessly clean very good food served by excellent staff. entertainment was also excellent. Best shearings hotel i have stayed at.The management of great western should be sent into some of the other hotels in the Bay group and show them how its done .definitely will go back

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gingeLeeds
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear gingeLeeds,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I am really pleased you enjoyed with us!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

had another great weekend in oban this time got a scenic bedroom witch was very large very clean went to seil ieland what was ok town has loads of shops it was nice to see steven was still thier all staff very helpfull

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Steven,

Thank you for posting your review. I am pleased you had another great weekend with us. Yes Stephen is still with us, and I will pass on your kind comments to him. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

my husband and I plus brother and sister law had an excellent time at new year.
The room was good,lovely and clean and very warm with bath and shower.
Food was excellent and staff was outstanding they couldn't do enough for you and was very polite.
The manager Darren was a lovely young man and he circulated among the guests talking to them which I thought was very nice

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
DarrenMoyle, General Manager at Bay Great Western Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Snoopy1952,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I am so pleased to see you and your party enjoyed your New Year celebrations with us. Thank you for your kind comments and I will ensure these are passed on to all the staff. We very much hope to see you again sometime in the near future. Or maybe even next New Year??

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Good food great location and fantastic entertainment staff well trained and organised excellent value,other hotel managers ln the UK should come here and learn this is the standards they should be aimlng for and there where 2 coaches jn the hotel plus others.Well done.

Room Tip: Gret service fantastic location good food fantastic entertainment,good value and well managed.Well d...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mistyClyde

Dear mistyClyde,

WOW! Thank you very much for your great review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your break with us and loved your comments in your review. Everything done here is very much a team effort and I will certainly ensure everyone get to see your review.
We very much hope to see you return again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Shearings five day break taken here to break up the winter blues.
We asked for a shower and a high floor room when we booked and after a long drive we arrived at the hotel to be given the keys to
the top third floor room complete with shower,and wow was it warm
just what you want on a winter break and so clean it looked as though it had not long been decorated,Well Pleased.
The evening meals and breakfasts
were a credit to the catering/kitchen staff not one complaint here,Well Pleased.
The lounge had a beautiful view of the bay with plenty of comfortable seats as did the entertainment lounge.
The staff were very friendly and cheerful a credit(again)to the manager.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone,Well Pleased .

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank paulantmart

Dear Paula,

Its great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you very much for your kind review. I will pass on your comments to the staff as they do like to hear they are doing a great job. We hope to see you again soon in the future.